Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Care to take bets that the government shuts down?
Care to take bets that the government shuts down?
It's April 28.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'll put 20 quatloos on a shutdown happening.
-- ∇×V

Quote:vorticity wrote:
I'll put 20 quatloos on a shutdown happening.
You may win the bet.
Trump wants his border wall
That's a deal breaker and they know it. BTW the date would be the 100th day of his presidency. Someone ought to tell him about how bad the PR would be.
Edit Fixed  
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Your link's messed up.

ordnance11 Wrote:... BTW the date would be the 100th day of his presidency. Someone ought to tell him about how bad the PR would be.
You know that a government shutdown would be a bad thing, and I know that a government shutdown would be a bad thing. However, many of the people who voted for Trump are under the delusion that having nobody available to react in an emergency is a good thing...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The Republicans have shown a willingness to let everything grind to a halt to get their way... why would it be any different now? And as Rob noted, we had a lot of people vote that would LOVE to see the government shut down because they don't realize what all it actually does for them.

May we live in interesting times indeed.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:JFerio wrote:
The Republicans have shown a willingness to let everything grind to a halt to get their way... why would it be any different now? And as Rob noted, we had a lot of people vote that would LOVE to see the government shut down because they don't realize what all it actually does for them.

May we live in interesting times indeed.
The GOP moderates know that they need Democrat support to pass an appropriations bill that would keep the government open. They have 5 days from next Monday to do it. They had been in negotiations for the past month. The plan was a one week extension to hash out the details. The Trump administration's insistence on a wall and now the push to do a new repeal and replace on the ACA is going to scuttle the talks. And there is not enough time to do both.  Antagonizing the other side needlessly is an idiotic thing to do. Why is the administration doing this now? PR. Trump wants to say that on Day 100 he has done great and amazing things. And he and his staff is willing to shut down the government to get his way. they will get the shut down but not much else. blaming the Democrats will not help when you have the majorities in all branches of government.
Trump still thinks he's campaigning for the office (matter of fact they're already fund raising for his re-election campaign). Let's face it: This administration doesn't know how to govern and is not interesting in doing so.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I have come to the conclusion that as far as Trump is concerned, the presidency is just another public relations vehicle for the Trump brand, and he doesn't care (or can't conceive of) what wreckage he leaves behind him in the process of promoting himself.

If he doesn't try to make himself President-For-Life, expect to see defamation lawsuits flung by the dozens at historians and political science pundits who describe his administration accurately after he leaves office.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Democrats has the leverage right now and they know it. Trump can blame them for the shutdown, but since the GOP controls the White House and Congress, that excuse does not hold water. If the shutdown happens, that's 2 strikes. If the special elections for GOP districts vacated are a bell weather, the House might revert back to the Democrats. then watch the GOP run away from Trump in 2020.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

What I worry about is that if there is a Government shutdown, Trump will be able to tell everyone that voted for him that it's the Democrats fault...

...And I worry that they'll believe him.

Quote:...And I worry that they'll believe him.
I have learned never to underestimate the willingness of people to believe anything that protects them from having to accept reality.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

I've never come to accept the idiocy that can't just append 'shit carries on as normal if we can't agree' to budgets, because the alternative is fucking moronic. Every other country survives a government deadlock without grinding to a halt..... sometimes for years at a time.

From what I understand, the USA has a slightly different system than the rest of the First World - and it isn't just the legislature that stops if they deadlock.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Dartz wrote:
I've never come to accept the idiocy that can't just append 'shit carries on as normal if we can't agree' to budgets, because the alternative is fucking moronic. Every other country survives a government deadlock without grinding to a halt..... sometimes for years at a time.
They don't do much else.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

There was some buzz that the GOP were going to try to push the shut-down away from Trump's 100th day marker (by a week) to save some face. Go ahead, ask why. Yeah, I don't know why either. The AHCA fiasco pretty much showed that apart from "no" the GOP doesn't know how to get anything together, and they most certainly don't line up behind the Corporate Raider in Chief.

My boss said it pretty well the morning after the election: "Let's just keep working and hope that noone needs anything from the government for the next four years."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki

It's been pushed back a week.

As for why, I don't know either... but I don't see how this saves face, either. It's business as usual, just like under the last couple of years of the Obama administration - you know, the stuff that average people either don't care about or get annoyed over.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
It's been pushed back a week.

As for why, I don't know either... but I don't see how this saves face, either. It's business as usual, just like under the last couple of years of the Obama administration - you know, the stuff that average people either don't care about or get annoyed over.
They are finalizing the deals to run the government until September. Trump can throw a hissy fit and refuse to sign, but he knows that most of the country will blame him. I bet you 10 to 1 he will be throwing tantrums for the rest of the week.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Okay, we get to do the whole thing again in 5 months. Let's see if Trump is really serious about shutting down the government. And if so, so long?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Yeah, we'll get to do it again in September or October, but in the meantime I'm 20 quatloos poorer.  Geez guys, an astonishing display of competence from Congress.  Well, up until the House passed the ACHA they were showing competence, but that's another thread.
-- ∇×V