Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick little question
Re: Thoughts...
Digital *what* syndrome? o.O;;;
My ffxi linkshell used to have a teamspeak server, so I'm used to people going insane...
And playing odd music sometimes. '.'
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Fucking laptops. Fucking IE.
Anyway, to repeat my previous post attempt:
Digital Butt Syndrome = "If I'm going to have to spend umpety-hours staring at someone's digitally described booty then it's damned well going to be a hot one."
IE, Why Mithra Exist.

===============================================
"Reseeestunce ees fiutil. Yoo weeel bee Useemooletud. Borg Borg Borg."
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Oh. I didn't expect it to have such a strange name. >.>
*notes once again how large a proportion of the female players in her FFXI linkshell play mithra...*
(It doesn't explain why there aren't male mithra though. That tail animation I think can hypnotize anyone, regardless of genders involved...)
-Morgan, wants playable male mithra. >.>"Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)
Oh, a lot of female MMO players... play female characters. Exclusively. Wouldn't dream of playing a guy. I've got quite a few friends who've expressed that opinion. Likewise, there's a lot of guys who wouldn't imagine playing a female character.
Why? Possibly it has to do with how you approach your in-game avatar. How much you identify with your in-game avatar. If you truly see the character as a representation of yourself, that might make you less inclined to do any genderbending at the character creator.
I've heard someone say it just feels weird to hear male grunts from her character when she's playing a game.
On the flip side, you've got the "Digital Butt Syndrome" as described here, where, hey, I'd much rather stare at something I consider hot.
It certainly seems like heterosexual men are more inclined to do that than anyone else. Maybe that's a stereotype, but it does seem to be true. I know gay gamers, I know lesbian gamers, I know straight women gamers... it's the straight guys, though, that do this.
For the most part.
I'm personally fairly neutral on. In CoH, I have more female characters than male ones, but that seems to be entirely happenstance ... I just pick whatever sex fits the character concept. In other MMOs,where I don't RP...my character slots are either perfectly balanced...or mostly my own sex, male.
-- Acyl
Huh. What I hear a lot more about is female players who pick male characters to avoid annoying people. There's a fair bit of it that I've seen in discussion on some FFXI forums. Just... not in my linkshell.
And as expected from me, I can see both of those things you mention in myself. I pick female characters because I like the way they look better, *and* because I can usually identify with them more easily. '.'
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)
Yeah, I should have probably specified gender rather than sex, since the two aren't precisely the same thing.
True that some female players pick guy avatars not to be bothered, but the converse is also true. I know dudes who play female avatars just because it gets them attention - and more to the point, free stuff.
There's probably enough stuff here to write a research paper or something. Pity I'm not actually a sociologist or psychologist. =)
-- Acyl
On Ventrilo/Voice chat:
I should point out I can't use voice chat, on command from the wife. My computer's in the same room as the TV, so it bugs her. Which is fair enough, since when she's on the phone and I'm watching TV I make her go to the bedroom.
But that means I can only *listen*, but not *talk*.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
re .o0O(Thoughts)
Speaking of annoying guys...
I've encountered the ilk, but mostly on Freedom/Infinity. My very first toon I rolled at ALL on my own account was a male fire/fire blaster on Freedom called "Kitsunebito" because Foxboy was taken long ago. [Image: wink.gif] Anyway, my very first bit of player interaction was some doof asking me if I was gay because my toon's name was Japanese.
And, recently, I had someone request "favors" from Olive Oomph... Upon an IC rebuff, the jerk followed me around the zone, repeating his... rather crass "request." Now I can see a minor level of "jerk" from certain characters.... but usually a "self-styled ladies' man" has more variety than repeating the same thing over and over.
*shrug* I'm just glad I found some decent folksd to play with.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: re .o0O(Thoughts)
teamspeak server will be being ordered Tuesday afternoon, so hopefully we'll have it online for i11 on wednesday.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979