Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel, Cryptic, Microsoft team for Marvel MMO
Marvel, Cryptic, Microsoft team for Marvel MMO
Wow,what a busy day in Paragon this has been already.
Linky
The last time anyone put the words Marvel and Cryptic together in a new article waswell, the two parties announced that they had settled all litigation related to the suit Marvel filed against Crytpic Studios in relation to the game City of Heroes. Throughout the battle between Marvel and Crytpic, there were fans who suggested that the comic publisher and game studio needed to put their differences aside, and focus on creating a kickass massively multiplayer online game, a la CoH but set in the Marvel Universe, and using Marvel characters.
Fans who suggested that are getting the last laugh today, as it was announced at X06 that Cryptic will join Marvel and Microsoft Game Studios (their partnership was announced last summer) in developing a Marvel Universe MMO for both the Xbox 360 and Windows platform, and will allow seamless play for players on either system.
For us, this is a very exciting announcement for multiple reasons one of the first is that the Marvel Intellectual Property is universally recognizable, Frank Pape, Senior Director of Business Development, Microsoft Game Studios told Newsarama. We believe that it transcends the boundaries that currently exist on cross-platform on the two different audiences that you seem to find on both platforms. We believe that this can transcend that, and bring a new, fresh experience to the players on the MMO space on console, and Cryptic is our first choice, and the best choice we could have possible made to develop this game. Were very lucky to have had them sign on to develop the game. Theyve had a great track record in delivering MMOs such as City of Heroes and City of Villains both highly rated and highly successful games; as well as having games developed in a very timely fashion.
While the parties declined to discuss how former legal sparring partners turned into business partners (We call it water under the bridge, Pape said), it was suggested that Marvel and Microsoft were pursuing Cryptic.
There has been a very vibrant discussion with trying to get Cryptic to sign on as the developer, and both Marvel and Microsoft were very interested in having them become our partner, and thats been going on for many months, Pape said. The deal was signed a couple of months back, and now were ready to announce it to the world so everybody knows what they can expect to see out of the Marvel MMO. Its been going on for a while these things take time, but its time very well spent.
(more at the link)"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will RogersGlobal: @Jimmy Amp

"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers
Re: Marvel, Cryptic, Microsoft team for Marvel MMO
Yesh, talk about "If you can't beat them, Join them" on Marvel's part. As for Cryptic, I bet there's alot of manaical laughter going on, since now their only in-genre competition is on thier side.--
I am the Borg-again Christian. Resistance to my sermon is futile. You will be baptized. Your dogma is irrelevant.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Re: Marvel, Cryptic, Microsoft team for Marvel MMO
How the heck are they going to handle this?
If it's "play as a Marvel character," there's going to be either a lot of duplicate Spider-Men or a clogged waiting list.
If it's "make up your own character," then I don't much see the point...
--Sam
"Excelsior!"
Re: Re: Marvel, Cryptic, Microsoft team for Marvel MMO
I would think that the big- to medium-name Marvel characters are probably going to be NPCs, much like the trainers in COH, only I suspect at least some will be mobile rather than stationary. PCs are going to be unknowns, I'm sure, maybe coming from backgrounds like the Morlocks or the Inhumans...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...