Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XP Smoothing and Real Numbers
XP Smoothing and Real Numbers
(At first, when I saw the post about "XP Smoothing" on the CoH website, I thought it was something to do with making the game run better on Windows.
Doh.)

So, anyway, has anyone noticed any difference in CoH due to the smoothing? I haven't had time to play in the past couple weeks... I'm hoping it'll
help me get past the hump I seem to be stuck at, but who knows.

And then the Real Numbers. Anyone used this? Is it handy? I've always liked the abstraction that CoH had -- Low, High, Very High, etc -- but I admit the
numbers geek in me finds the concept of true data compelling. At the same time, I can't help but feel that this is what I came to CoH to get away from --
the number-crunching munchkin. I know it's only been a couple weeks, but has anyone noticed Real Numbers making a difference?

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Well, I haven't been logged in for a while, but the "Real Numbers" sounds good to me. People who want to do number-crunching have always been
able to figure out the numbers anyway, but even just for simple purposes, I just find numbers easier to understand. What's the difference between high and
very high? Damned if I know!

-Morgan, was reading the patch notes... "They did WHAT to Moment of Glory?!"

Real Numbers are the biggest draw to playing my blaster for me. With Defiance, and pegging my damage and accuracy bonusses on screen in real time, I'm
plugging away and rolling inspirations around on my tounge and dropping Buildup and cackling like a mad thing when I pop to 250% damage bonus at 200% accuracy
bonus and let rip..

It's also changed a lot of builds - I was getting a whole ten percent out of the Leadership pool, so I dropped it in favor of a 'utility' pool,
teleport, to be exact.

As for the XP smoothing, I have to admit that 44-50 is kind of a blur of fedoras and arrows to me, sorry.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Quote: Kokuten wrote:

Real Numbers are the biggest draw to playing my blaster for me. With Defiance, and pegging my damage and accuracy bonusses on screen in real time, I'm
plugging away and rolling inspirations around on my tounge and dropping Buildup and cackling like a mad thing when I pop to 250% damage bonus at 200%
accuracy bonus and let rip..
See, this is almost (not quite) what I'm afraid of. One of the main drawbacks to World of Warcraft (for example) was the constant
dick-length DPS comparisons. [Image: smile.gif] Maybe I've been hanging with the wrong (right?) crowd, but I haven't seen much of that in CoH, and I
always thought it was due to the obfuscated numbers. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. I'm not saying that's what you're doing here, by the way;
I'm just pointing out that the Constant Quest For Higher Damage was something I found annoying about other MMOs I've played.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote: Sofaspud wrote:

I'm just pointing out that the Constant Quest For Higher Damage was something I found annoying about other MMOs I've played.

Can't you just... turn them off? hehe
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Quote:constant dick-length DPS comparisons. Maybe I've been hanging with the wrong (right?) crowd, but I haven't seen much of that in CoH, and I always thought it was due to the obfuscated numbers.

I agree - and this was one of the things that turned me off of WoW. I could play my blaster, and be functional, with nothing but a random grab-bag of Enhancements that dropped off dudes!

But I enjoy the tinkering with IO sets and whatnot.

I think that the amount of effort required to _reveal_ the real numbers is going to help maintain the attitude you speak of in CoH. I also think that having the real numbers available is going to help bring or keep the minmaxers in CoH, which is all to the good.

And if someone starts waving their e-penis, remind them that you're a member of the best supergroup in the game, which gives you a responsibility to be kind to those lesser than you, and refuse to talk about the subject again.. . WinkWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Quote: CrimsonKMR wrote:

Quote: Sofaspud wrote:

Can't you just... turn them off? hehe

Yes.

But it's the other players and their (potential) attitude about it that I'm talking about, rather than whether or not numbers are visible to me. I
like the idea of real numbers, I'm just not sure if it's going to affect how people play the game -- and if it does, what direction that will go.
That's what I was asking about.

That said:

Quote: Kokuten wrote:

I think that the amount of effort required to _reveal_ the real numbers is going to help maintain the attitude you speak of in CoH. I also think that having
the real numbers available is going to help bring or keep the minmaxers in CoH, which is all to the good.

And if someone starts waving their e-penis, remind them that you're a member of the best supergroup in the game, which gives you a responsibility to be
kind to those lesser than you, and refuse to talk about the subject again.. . [Image: wink.gif]
You have a definite point -- two of them, in fact. Heh. I'm not sure that attracting/retaining minmaxers specifically is a
GoodThing(tm), but they're players and CoH needs as many as it can get.

--sofaspud

The biggest endorsment I can give for the XP Smoothing is that several times since they introduced it, I almost didn't hit the tier-1 wall (24, 29, 34, etc) where I ran out of content.

(Cue Mekadave laughing his ass off.)

I opened the window and had a good chuckle over at the Regen numbers Badb could hit. (Is that the cap? Could they be higher? I don't know, but it's a
lot of Regen.) And it was kind of interesting to see what my efforts at +End and +Recovery other globals amounted to... My favorite stat was finding out
exactly how fast Badb could run, instead of guessing. 92.5 mph! Whee! Smile But I haven't bothered opening the window since.

I have not had enough time to play to really notice the XP smoothing yet.

Does anyone know what a number does when it hits the cap? I got MegaBuffed the other day, and tripped aim, and I _believe_ ToHit Buff topped out at 200%, and
turned light blue..

any other anecdata or real data?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Quote:And if someone starts waving their e-penis, remind them that you're a member of the best supergroup in the game, which gives you a responsibility to be kind to those lesser than you, and refuse to talk about the subject again.. .
I heartily endorse this tactic!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.