Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you ever get a really bad character idea...
Do you ever get a really bad character idea...
...that's still somehow very tempting?

Name: (Probably something along the lines of "Test Subject J")

Costume: Catgirl (somewhat furrier than most of them)

Bio:

"Jane used to be an ordinary cat in a facility doing animal testing. Something happened that turned her into a cat/human hybrid with strange powers.

Jane now fights against organizations that try to stop animal testing by force. She wants to have brothers and sisters someday!

And perhaps eventually a mate... *blush*"

Oh, and here's another concept that could almost tempt me to make a male character:

Believable-Man.

Presumably he'd be Plasmabell's nemesis, since they're both powered by belief. '.'

-Morgan.

I have two bad ideas in play currently.

Kawaii Five-0, my level 10 Peacebringer using the power of insane shiny cuteness to arrest the bad guys. When she's not a flying squid, anyway. I need to
build a macro to make her sneeze when she transforms. (Not a reference to anything in particular, but it's funny.) Kawaii exists because the terrible pun
interacted with my total inability to come up with a Kheld concept the day I decided I wanted to see the Kheld story arcs, right that minute.

Baron Emo. Level 12 or so Mind/Energy Dominator. He's a parody of Baron Zemo (seriously, wtf is up with him?) mixed with a whiny emo kid. Obligatory black
trenchcoat and the pink mask (glued on) and the silly gold crown, purple tights/yelllow gloves and boots combo. Too bad I missed the winter event with him, the
fur lined accessories would've been spot on. People in Port Oakes stop and stare (maybe they read the bio?) and then run away.

Past bad ideas have included Vodka Zombie, Loser, Vulture Trooper, Panic Pirate and The Procrastinator (never did get around to finishing Outbreak with him.)
Bad Character Ideas revisited
So I was listening to the Bat Out Of Hell II album today on my way in to work, and I was suddenly struck by the urge to roll an homage character. A villain.
He'd be big and chunky, scruffy looking, and have a sonics powerset of some sort (if that's possible; must check on this).

I'd name him "Wasted Youth".

And for his description, I'd put the lyrics in. Read it and TELL me that ain't twisted enough to be a villain!

I remember everything!

I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday

I was barely seventeen, and I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar

I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster

But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome and a voice like a horny angel

I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster

But I do remember that it wasn't at all easy

It required the perfect combination of the right power chords

And the precise angle from which to strike

The guitar bled for about a week afterward

And the blood was so dark and rich, like wild berries

The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry red!

The guitar bled for about a week afterward, but it rung out beautifully

And I was able to play notes that I had never... even... heard... before.

So I took my guitar, and I smashed it against the wall

I smashed it against the floor

I smashed it against the body of a varsity cheerleader

Smashed it against the hood of a car

Smashed it against a 1981 Harley Davidson.

The Harley howled in pain, the guitar howled in heat!

And I ran up the stairs to my parents' bedroom

Mummy and daddy were sleeping in the moonlight

Slowly I opened the door, creeping in the shadows

Right up to the foot of their bed

I raised the guitar high above my head

And just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down

upon the center of the bed, my father woke up, screaming "Stop!"

"Wait a minute! Stop it boy! What do ya think you're doin'?

That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!"

And I said: "God damn it, daddy!

You know I love you, but you got a hell of a lot to learn about ROCK 'N ROLL!!"

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Jim Steinman. Always a classic. "Wasted Youth" was the title on the Meat Loaf album, but it first appeared on Steinman's own album in 1980 under
the title "Love, Sex and an American Guitar" or something like that...

What you really need for that character is for one of the "weapon" powersets to allow you to use a guitar in place of the default weapon...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I couldn't find the lyrics that way. On Steinman's own website it's listed under the Bat II album as
"Wasted Youth". Dunno what's up with that; I thought they'd settled all that lawsuit/ownership stuff...

Anyway, I'd *so* do it if there was an option to use a guitar. Though I suppose I could use the Axe set and see if anyone gets it. Heh.

Wasted Youth is probably taken, but eh, I can figure something out. Soon as the new slots hit I may well do this.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I've since deleted all versions of the character - I had a few on different servers, for costume variation experiments. Even with the new slots I probably won't do this again, because I really really really don't like playing Kheldians.

But the idea...well. Blonde, with those new feisty pigtails. Little girl design, blue and white dress, that supernatural face with closed eyes.

So when her powers activate, she looks like she opens her eyes and WHOOM WHITE EYEGLOW.

As for the profile?

"Golly," said Eva, "I don't want to leave Dreamland! All my special friends are here!"

"It is time, little one," replied the squid, gently.

"But the hospital is a cold and scary place," Eva pouted, "and I don't want to go back."

"Do not be afraid," the squid answered, "for there is magic everywhere."

Eva looked at the luminous squid, her eyes wide with surprise. In a small voice, she asked, "Really?"

"Yes," said the squid, "all you must do is dream."

Her name?

Eva After

-- Acyl

My current Worst Idea is The Littlest Succubus, a jailbait demoness Thugs/Poison MM in Dark Heart High School. All sliders minimized or nearly, in red Hearts
Plus lingerie. ^.^

Her "thugs" are, in concept, her boyfriend -- Goonsquad, a fellow DHH student with duplication powers.

--Sam

"Egad! Too much anatomy!"

Acyl: that's twisted genius right there, mate. I don't know whether to shudder or smile. Crreeeeeeeeepy... but coooool. Y'know?

Lurker: the jailbait part has been done to death... but that concept twist re: Goonsquad? *Brilliant*.

It's stuff like this that makes me jealous. To paraphrase someone, "Where do they GET all those wonderful ideas?"

--sofaspud

I was considering making Burkariffic, a Miss .45 homage - you can hid an awful lot of weapons in those long outfits. Big gun blaster, unsure of the secondary.

Quote:Acyl: that's twisted genius right there, mate.
Agreed. I meant to mention it a couple days ago but forgot -- Eva After is one wonderfully cool idea.
-- Bob
---------

I got a really bad idea for a character while listening to an early 50s radio station but no one was around to stop me from rolling it.

She's in shades of purple with fire engine red hair and a pixie cut hairdo, wrist cuffs instead of bangle bracelets and she's a bubble bot mastermind.
Her bots are named Astro, Elroy and Rosie the support bot. >.> so far only one person has caught the connection. Her name?

J. Jetson

Terrible idea! But it makes me smile so it can't be all bad, can it?

oh ahahahahaha
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Come to think of it, I have one to offer. I've been playing him on and off for a few weeks now.

It had never occurred to the Kheldians before, but the idea came up over lunch in City Hall, when Azuria and her fellow representatives chatted outside of the hearing of the newbie heroes. The White Dwarf form that the Kheldians could take clearly proved that they were not limited to merging with carbon life forms -- indeed, the white dwarf was so wildly different from life as we know it that it might not have ever been recognized as life had the Kheldians not vouched for it...

And a wild idea for an experiement was born over that lunch.

A Kheldian volunteer.

A sentient android, also a volunteer.

The result?

Robobringer.
-- Bob
---------

I should definitely not make a character with a maid outfit, elf ears, and fairy wings...

...named "Maid of Fey Hill".

-Morgan.

... and intentionally what the powergamers call "gimped" sets?

My dear Morgan, "Maid of Fey Hill" is made of WIN.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I'm still severely tempted to try to make the G Gundam concept of "Nobel Gundam" as a Martial Arts/Super Reflexes combo.

The main thing that prevents me from doing so is the lack of anything that properly resembles a lethal energy streamer. There are no whip-type weapons in CoX
and that should be addressed.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
I follow through with my bad ideas...
Cosmic Pigeon, my lvl 18 PB is a perfect example. I wanted something with which I could poop on the heads of all those damn costume contest zombies.

Cinnamon Nurse was more of a joke - something to help me get over my predjudice against the Super Speed travel power (it didn't work, by the way - I'll
stick with fly for the rest of my toons)

Big Booty Momma - my low lvl fire-kin, was to be a temporary toon for a video someone was shooting. However, I got such a response just from the name alone
("ZOMG I love your toon's name so much I could have sex with it" was a popular utterance), that I just had to keep her.

I'll probably come up with something even more messed up in the future....

(And I had not noticed that Foxboy had replied to this...)

Foxboy Wrote:... and intentionally what the powergamers call "gimped" sets?

My dear Morgan, "Maid of Fey Hill" is made of WIN.

I suppose the main problem with that is... what's considered a gimped set by powergamers?

(Also, it'd still have to be something I'd be willing to play. Which may or may not overlap easily. '.' Of course, it's been demonstrated that what I consider good and bad in a set can vary widely from the population at large...)

I'd almost like to do something with a big sword so I can also sneak in a reference to Arcana Heart. But I'm not sure the game has a sword big enough... or if I want to play another character like that right now. (Of course, I could probably do the reference without that.) (And while we're at it, I level slowly enough with the characters I already have...)

On to a bad idea I've already implemented...

Karen Park was a woman with one simple goal in life. She wanted to have a home with a beautiful lawn and garden.

In retrospect, perhaps Mercy Island was not the best place to pursue this goal.

If it wasn't battlesuited goons tromping over everything, it was zombies throwing up on the flowers, or people with strange glowing auras that plants just seemed to mysteriously die around. And let's not even get started on the guys in red and white with the flamethrowers...

Karen tried being nice. She put up signs. Nothing changed. Shouting "get off my lawn!" accompished nothing. (Maybe it's something about being young and comely, rather than old and curmudgeonly.)

In the end, Karen was resorted to advanced robotics technology to *make* such annoying individuals stay out of her garden. Having accomplished that, she's now set out to teach a lesson to those groups that have demonstrated a lack of respect for botanical matters...

Karen is my Robotics/Storm mastermind. Somehow while thinking about knockback powers, the "this girl wants you off her lawn" idea came to me.

Edit: I've also made one of the characters I mentioned in the first post. "Test Subject Omikron", known more casually as Ami. Fire/Fire tanker. Doesn't go into heat. '.'

-Morgan.

My philosophy is kinda like how Portal's reward system came about:
"Wolpaw further describes the idea of using cake as the reward came about as "at the beginning of the Portal development process, we sat down as a group to decide what philosopher or school of philosophy our game would be based on. That was followed by about 15 minutes of silence and then someone mentioned that a lot of people like cake."
It's resulted in gems like:
The Giant Ninja of Doom. A giant...ninja...of doom.
Goth Milk, the Cowmarilla's predominant Mookavian. Yeah, a vampire cow.
Unfortunate Magical Boy, a magical boy whose costume wasn't edited for his new...male...status.
Rikti Astley and his breakaway single, "Refusal: Relinquishment: You."
Cthulhu?, the Elder God himself - secretly Hastur pretending to be Cthulhu on a bet from Nyarlathtotep.
Doctor Will Freem, Paragon City's greatest scientist, always ready to give advice (along the lines of "Give up! We have no chance to win against their Combined might!")
George Bashington, America's first president...transformed into a killer robot!
Musou Frank, Burning Samurai of Justice! (I hope somebody gets this)
Captain Kumonga, Arachnos's greatest shield-wielding superhero.
Among...others.

What about 'Cthulhu?'

On another note, About time you showed up to the Forums. *Backstab* (Read: Welcome)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Probably my worst was Senoku, a Japanese-funded take on the 6-million dollar man. Or in his case, the 100 Billion Yen Man.

I just...kinda sat down and thought about it.
And I've come to the sad realisation that most of my favourite characters - and consequently also the highest-level ones...started out as jokes. I tend not to play the outright stinker pun characters long-term, but the moderate joke ones...eventually become serious characters.
See:-
Superball ...is the name of a children's toy. Those ultra-bouncy little balls that come in fancy colours. I loved those things. So I made an invulnerable martial artist that jumps around a lot. All the backstory, with him as a reluctant successor to a historical legacy...I pulled that crap out of my rear end. =P
Glass Lass ...is just a funny name. I mean. gLASS LASS. It's awesome. It's so totally a silly Legion of Superheroes name and is awesome. And with a name like that it has to be ice powersets, y'know? 'course, now she's one of the most thought-provoking characters for me to RP, has a complex speech-pattern, and is my only character so far to have a properly expensive IO build...
Space Mage ...is a cosmic silver-age costumed elf. Her name's a pun on 'Space Age'. Hahaha. Right. Except nobody got the joke, but everyone liked her cheerful hyperactive personality, and the rest, as they say, is RP...er, I mean, history.
Obsolete ...is a 1950s atomic-powered ROBOT MAID. Er. Actually there's probably nothing more I need to say here...
...and the same goes for my newest batch of alts, the ones I'm currently levelling:-
eMage ...is an illusionist who casts spells off a PDA and laptop. The joke's obvious. But I decided to connect her to Space Mage - making her Elizabeth Casmir, Adrianne's bitchier elder sister. Now she has backstory and an RP connection to everyone who knows Spacey.
Destined-1 ...is, well, a riff on Destined One. The pun cracked me up so bad I had to use it. But I didn't know what to do with the name for the longest time; it was just a ha-ha funny joke. I kept coming up with and discarding concepts for the name. Now, though, I have it. Destined-1 is so obviously a model number for a suit of POWER ARMOR. With a core driven by the Well of the Furies. Shades of Evangelion et-all, and I refer to the character in the suit as a 'pilot'. =D
(which means that Destined-1 is also, obviously, the arch-nemesis of my Iron Man-inspired elec/elec/elec blaster, another originally-a-pun character: Circuit-3 !)
Operative Parker ...is my average joe Wolf Spider. 'nuff said.
Battery Acid ...is an electric raver brute, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH--- o/'
-- Acyl

Welcome to the forums, ArachnosX!
-- Bob
---------

You know, it occurs to me that I should probably mention -- even though everyone certainly knows it by now -- that Evangelia is one of these. I was rereading some off-the-wall crossover fanfic, which recast Neon Genesis Evangelion as a classic magical girl anime -- the article was written from the perspective of a journalist discussing a long-cancelled series that has managed to hold on to its popularity for decades. The name of the series was Magical Princess Evangelia, and I said to myself, you know, that would be a perfect hero toon for COH.

Well, as it turned out, it was too long for the name field, so I shortened it. Eva's original costume was a blend of fuku and armor (in shades of blue to look like Unit 00), the sword was a substitute for progressive knives (this was before the dual blades power, otherwise I would have chosen that), and Invulnerability reproduced the effect of an AT field. The character model was Minako Aino, because in the story, she was the voice actress for Magical Princess Evangelia. And then I blenderized Sailor Moon and Eva to come up with a gag background story, including the mandatory talking animal mascot, who of course had to be penguin. (And invisible because you couldn't actually show him in the game.)

She was my first scrapper, and was intended to be a gag character that I fully expected to abandon after a few levels. But she turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun to run, and then the Legendary happened, and well, you all know what came next...
-- Bob
---------

Let's see...

Baron Emo A parody of Marvel's Baron Zemo. It takes a real man to commit crimes in public after accidentally and permanently gluing a
bright pink mask to his face. Baron Emo is that man. Baron Emo refers to himself in the third person and wears a ratty black trenchcoat. He claims to have a
plan and a list of enemies. Neither has ever been seen. Mind/Energy Dominator. The /Energy comes from his bright yellow power gauntlets. The Mind powers are
the result of him projecting angst, depression and crappy poetry directly into the brains of, well, pretty much everybody he doesn't find immediately
useful or too scary to piss off. He longs to be a Mastermind, but the only being who will follow him is his tiny 5th Column robot. Which is completely
worthless, but he lost the receipt and can't get a refund.

Kawaii Five-0 An entirely-too-cute Peacebringer who isn't old enough to join the PPD. Not much to say here, other than to explain the
Hawaii Five-0 pun to those who don't get it. You do all know what kawaii is, yes? Probably better than I do. The big eyes, faerie wings and glitter are
just icing on the angel food cake. One can only assume that the kheldian half of the duo is still in a sugar coma, as there's no obvious sign of an older,
wiser personality. Or maybe kheldians have ditzy teenagers too.

Banana Spider A bright yellow crab spider. Literally the first species of spider (or crustacean) I could find that wasn't taken by the
time Lead Poisoning hit 50 and I could roll him up. At least they're venomous and relatively sneaky. Defensive about his name.