Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Sum Game
Zero Sum Game
Like most MMORPGs, City of Heroes suffers from the classic Zero Sum
Game problem. That is, no matter how often you stop Countess Crey, or capture Frostfire, or beat Imperious, they'll still be there later, and all the
heroes hard work won't make a difference. That said, CoH is nowhere near as bad as some games about this problem, and updates such as Faultline and the
Hollows revamp actually do give the impression of change. Of course, the missions often don't quite fit... I wouldn't complain about an update that was
mostly just zone revamps and mission rewrites (Keep the old one's in Ouro, problem solved Tongue)

Still, I was giving it some thought, and I realised that the Zero Sum Game effect can often be handwaved rather easily, and without stretching my disbelief too
much. And so, out of a sense of random curiousity, and the fact OM just called it a night and I'm wide awake and bored, here's some various excuses.
And also, some ideas on how to nudge the story along slightly, which I may look into with the mission designer Tongue

Hellions: They've got a fairly easy out, in that they're pretty much just a gang with some mystic abilities. An
impressive gang, to be working in the Rogue Isles as well as Paragon, but still, small fry. Given that Paragon is under seige by groups like Nemesis, the
Council, Devoured Earth, and of course the Ritki, most heroes damage their black marketing and minor crimes, but then move on to much larger problems before
they can do any real damage. Thus, the Hellions greatest weapon is their low status in-game

The Future: Has actually already started with the Hollows revamp. Along with the Lost and Skulls, they've expanded their territory and embarrassed the
Trolls and Outcasts. It's the simple things that make the universe a little more believable. OM's idea for Perez is nice too Tongue

Skulls: Pretty much the same as the Hellions. Small group relative to the big names, expanding into the Hollows.

Lost: This is where it gets a little interesting. Originally, the Lost were something of a mystery, their mutations,
their goals, and their masters. That changed years ago, as pretty much everyone knows that they're being converted into Rikti by the Reconstructionists.
They're still around, collecting converts by bribery or possibly force, but I12s Midnight Squad arc served as the beginning of their story continuing, with
the creation of a cure for the drug Shift, along with their expansion into the Hollows.

The Future: There is no way the more devout Lost are going to take a cure lying down. I'd love to see them targeting the Midnight Squad, making for some
good story potential. Preferably with a Lost/Rikti mix in the mission spawns.

Trolls: You'd think a drug that turns you into a green skinned moron wouldn't get too many people taking it,
but real life tries its best to prove us wrong Sad Combined with the fact that the Trolls are too stupid to know they're outgunned, and you can see why
they'd be damn hard to get rid of. Their slave hostages wouldn't help matters either. Still, with the outskirts of the Hollows being claimed by the
Skulls, Hellions and Lost, they're on the defensive.

The Future: I want a Wincott hero character as his police task force, Longbow allies and heroes make a push against them in the Hollows. (*Makes mission
developer notes*) At the same time, the Trolls often appear in other gang regions such as Steel Canyon. They could easily make an attack for territory in the
other starter zones.

Clockwork: The King may have been captured and held at the Zig at times, but even the psi-shields there aren't
enough to stop his army from existing, and even freeing him. Luckily for everyone involved, it takes a great deal of effort for him to tap into even higher
powers as seen in the LGTF. Which means that for now, his clockwork continue to hunt and scavenge across the lower regions of the city, as he can't make
them powerful enough to go picking fights with Tsoo and Nemesis... yet.

The Future: I had this idea for a Zig breakout map mission where the Clockwork are trying to free their King. Heck, you wouldn't even need his body in this
mission, just a glowie that holds his brain... or maybe they held you off long enough, or possibly you have to deal with breakouts they set off as a
distraction. On top of that, while it shatters his mind to unleash an army of Psi Clockwork, what if he tried it on a smaller scale?

I've got more ideas, that I'll post as I get the time.

Nice ideas -- looking forward to the others.

One of the more interesting handwaves, btw, comes off the TV Tropes Wiki -- right at the top of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/CityOfHeroes]this page: The PsychoChronoMetron is responsible for respawning bad guys. And making other things always just happening for the first time, over and over again.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, I saw that, and do sort of apply it myself, but on more of a smaller scale, namely, Faultline. It keeps causing an odd echo of past events there, even
though Jims off with Vanguard and Nocturne was killed for attacking an arbiter a long time ago.

And now... more ideas!

Vahzilok: The Robot Zombies aren't an organized group, but a bunch of crazy doctors and cultists that found his
notes on the internet and set out to achieve his twisted idea of immortality. And while Doctor Vahzy does find the best of them and teach them, he keeps his
biggest secrets to himself, which stops his less 'innovative' followers from expanding into higher parts of Paragon, as they lack the skills and
zombies to fight the higher threats.

The Future: Vahzilok has to have upgraded his designs since his first appearance, and even if his self mutilation has increased his life span, the 'living
in sewers' thing has to be streching what frayed patience he has left in that mind of his. A robot zombie invasion?

Sky Raiders: They're a mercenary group that often operates overseas, and the Raider contact in CoV is from the
British SAS, proving that they've been recruiting from more then just the US military. On top of that, the only times the Raider high command has been hit
is the Silver Mantis SF, where it's stated Arachnos will let Duray escape because he's useful to them. For that matter, he's been useful to Nemesis
too, who may well have run interference to keep his secret back up army in play.

The Future: Nemmys involvement in the creation of the Sky Raiders has been revealled, but most of them are unlikely to change their path because of this. Hell,
in Durays mind, it's probably more proof of how evil the Capes are. The Rikti War reveal with Nemesis would actually make that even worse. While they'd
still be a threat to heroes (And I'd love to see some mission arcs along these lines), I'd suspect a lot of their attention would be aimed at Nemesis.