Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoX issues

Terrence:

Per Jimmy Amp's instructions last night, here's the BOOTABLE CD-IMAGE you need to download from www.memtest.org: http://www.memtest.org/do...1/memtest86+-2.01.iso.zip

Edit to note: if you can't burn a CD, post; there are other options.

Once you've pulled that down, extract it somewhere and burn the image to a CD. Stick the CD in your drive and reboot your computer. If your computer asks
you "Are you sure you want to boot from CD?" or something similar, say yes. (If it doesn't ask at all and goes straight to Vista, post and
I'll walk you through working around that).

Once it starts, follow the on-screen menu to run a full memory test, and walk away for a few hours. When come back, you'll either have Pie (good!) or
Not-Pie (bad) results.

This will eliminate one potential area causing the problem -- your memory.

(Troubleshooting 101: start with the easy stuff!)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

There's also a version that goes on a floppy disc. No reason to use up a cd if you've got the floppy drive to use...

-Morgan.

Morganni is correct -- I assumed that your computer, being relatively modern, didn't have one; but if you do have a floppy disk, so much the better. That
link is here: http://www.memtest.org/do...emtest86+-2.01.floppy.zip

Instructions are the same, though; stick it on a floppy, reboot, follow the menus. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Also, unless you have infinite patience, its best to start that test up before you head to bed and let it run all night. You want to get a few test runs
through for the best accuracy, and it'll take a couple hours.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Hmm, Well, I'll have to try the Memtest followin the instructions tomorrow when I get back from edmonton, just don't have the time for that today
before i leave *pout*

HOkay, Just crashed again. Here are the two error things windows Vista error reporting gave me. I'll do Memtest when I get home, but I need to get ready
to leave after posting this.

For Windows hardware problem.

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be
available)

WD-20081109-1604.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files

Warning:
If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could
harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: 8575C0C0

BCP2: 8E416E80

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Server information: 5eefcc5b-5dc0-48f7-9d64-7f76efbb343c

and the city of hero's problem report.

Description

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: CityOfHeroes.exe

Application Version: 1.0.0.1

Application Timestamp: 48d2c374

Hang Signature: 9247

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: e0d53d0976d3cfaa29ad307398d777eb

Additional Hang Signature 2: 9a53

Additional Hang Signature 3: cc54ec029b344bc567970ee1c49dc71f

Additional Hang Signature 4: 9247

Additional Hang Signature 5: e0d53d0976d3cfaa29ad307398d777eb

Additional Hang Signature 6: 9a53

Additional Hang Signature 7: cc54ec029b344bc567970ee1c49dc71f

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 337714657

The Case is removed, with fan on it. I rolled back to a different Driver last night, so i don't think changing driver versions again will help. And will
Run Memtest tomorrow evenin when i get home
2nd edit

I just emailed tech support from NC soft so Micro can stop pestering me to do so Tongue. I gave them the best description of the problem that I could muster and
gave this data to them as well, now lets see what they say.

Finally! (Raven will give me some peace at last!) Now that wasn't too hard now was it? You might also want to point them to this thread, saying that you
have documented the problems here.

OT Query: Is it a sign of madness when your toons start to take on lives of their own in your head, talking to you and arguing with each other?

Shader

Actualy, I gave them all the information that i've given on this thread, the windows error report results, just gave them a dxdiag, and now this is what i
got lol from the latest email from them

'I am escalating your ticket to a Senior Technical Support Representative to further assist you. Once they have reviewed your inquiry they will be in
contact with you' I am getting this sneaking suspecion that things are going to get more complecated than i'll be able to understand lol so I may be
dropping off their answers here for ya all to breakdown in idiot mans terms for me *grin* anywho Yes your mad, but we all are in some way or another. I just
try not to listen to the voice in my head...it scares me ^_^''

Well, what was said there in Simple Terrance Terms: "I dunno WTF the problem is. I'm going to get help."

Hopefully they'll have some answers for ya, and if you don't understand them, just relay them here. We'll try and translate.

Oh and Shader: Sanity is overrated. Insanity is freedom.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

Hmmm. Something else that occurred to me. Have you tried using different graphics settings, turning off options, etc? It might be the problem is with some particular feature.

Also, did anyone suggest trying any different options when starting the program?

I found some instructions when I was looking through there for making a shortcut to the updater, and changing the target to:
Quote:"C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\CohUpdater.exe" -useTexEnvCombine

I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to do, but it seemed to help me, so it might be worth a shot.

-Morgan.

Hokay Mr Spud, how do I work around My computer basicly going 'lolMemtest CD' when i restart my compy. It just went straight to vista

http://boards.cityofheroe...r=12366675&page=7&fpart=1

gives a link to a Vista hotfix.

that hotfix must be _downloaded_ to your compy, not _ran_. that way you can right-click, run as Administrator.

couple people with the exact setup you have (quad core, 8800, vista) claimed that hotfix worked.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Do what Wire said first, if that doesn't do it post and we'll figure out how to walk you through it.

--sofaspud

You probably have a different BIOS than I do, but I had to change stuff to get it to boot via CD, so if that hotfix doesn't work, poke us here and I'll
try and write up what you need to do.
---