Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New SG: 'The Eleventh Hour'
New SG: 'The Eleventh Hour'
Standing between humanity and the shadows.

Holding secrets men should not know.

Keeping the innocent in the dark - while defending them from what lurks within it.

The Eleventh Hour

The Eleventh Hour is a new supergroup on Virtue, spawned by the realization that really...we don't have a dedicated magic group in our circle. The Legendary is modern-age generalist, Riot Force is mercenary/black-ops, Virtue League is four-colour, and so on. But our magic groups are very specific - and magical girl, for the most part.

This is something different.

The Eleventh Hour's headquarters is the Cloaktower. And at its heart is the chamber or artifact known as the Oculus. Depending on who you ask, it is either an incredibly powerful mystical construct that aids in scrying, a living spirit guide in itself - or perhaps it, and the whole building, is what remains of that which was once...something else.

(Or in other words, it's what happens when the three of us shoot ideas for SG names and concepts back and forth, and finally decide to use all of them.)

What we have, then, is a group of magical-inclined individuals. Not necessarily magic users, but perhaps also those with an inclination towards the mystic. Ordinary humans who hunt monsters, perhaps. Or technology users whose devices have a hint of the arcane, as it were.

Researchers, hunters, there's room for all. The three current founders are Trigram (Stormgear), an Asian chi mystic, Spell Storm (DarkSeraphim), a young technomancer, and John Prester (Acyl), an immortal Christian magi.

The Eleventh Hour is built on the 'shadow watchmen' motif, or a noble and benign answer to the Illuminati. Perhaps a mystical Men in Black, if you prefer. Or maybe something akin to the Hellsing organization, or a privately run equivalent to Hellboy's BPRD.

As you can see, we're trying to create something that has a common mythos, and yet can include all character types within the magical theme.

If you're interested - and I hope you are! - ask the three of us for an invite,.

Salutations,
-- Acyl

Mmm. Interesting.

Let me brainstorm an idea or three. Or maybe I'll move someone onto Virtue from another server. The Hooded Crow might work nicely with this bunch.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'll drag the Irradiated Fruitfly over - name aside, she was humanized via magic....
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Oh as tempting as making another toon would be (As I love character gen), not only do I have too many toons, but I'm sure Dren would see fit to try and beat me for still not have a lvl 50 and making more toons.  
I do have a magical themed toon (Lady Magister), but her backstory is more in line with the League (Granddaughter of the original Magister, one of the 3 founding members of the original League after WWII [Captain Iron, Magister, and Doc Comet]).

Crap.

Nearly all of my toons are Magic origin.

Next time Legendary gets full I'll probably pull Vyperpunk out of it and well she herself IS (backstory wise) arcane.

Natalie, my Kin Defender, could fit in there being a Mage and all. Though she wouldn't be too much for the Illuminati like theme as she is (at least one
of) the TSAB's duly appointed representative for this particular earth.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Well, my controller, Themaria Dist, would probably fit in very well, being as she's a seventeenth-century witch who made a literal deal with the Devil, mastered the arts arcane to a level most mages never dream possible, cut her way to a Prince's throne after being sent to hell, and then came back to Earth to expand her powerbase there... and did it all for reasons that were, and are, at least mostly benevolent and noble.

On the other hand, the entire reason I rolled her was to give the Legendary an integral source of mystic knowledge and support, for, well, essentially the same reasons that the Eleventh Hour is being founded. Putting her in a different SG would kind of defeat that purpose.
...hm.
I'll see what Atlantea does with Stephen Fayte. She's got a scary Catwoman/fangirl complex about him.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Eeeenteresting.

It's too bad in a way that Illusionestra is mutant-origin, not magic -- though she uses the whole stage-magic concept, in reality her powers stem from her
mutation.

If I think of anyone, I'll look into it, though... I'm liking both the name and the concept greatly Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Funny you should mention that. I was seriously considering moving Dr. Fayte over there. Hmmm...

Well, just how much of a secret organization the group is...that's subject to debate. What we mean is a group which has extensive resources but is largely secret and not widely known.
The name we settled on directly evokes the canon mystic meta-group, the Midnight Squad. Except, y'know, not. The Midnight Squad is not secret at all. They do operate subtly and from the shadows in the modern era, but they're mentioned in history books...and indeed, in the 1960s and 70s, the CoH lore says they were just a regular cape-and-tights supergroup like most.
What we were thinking here is a group that isn't really high-profile, but has the whole mystical secret-agent vibe going down. Clearly some know about them; they wouldn't be coalitioned with the Legendary and Riot otherwise, after all. Metatextually, there must be some link with the Midnight Squad as well. But the secret mystic thing is more in the motif - defending the world from things that should not be known, and so on.
The thought process that gave rise to this was...well, as mentioned earlier, most of our 'traditional' cape-wearing superheroes have SGs in our circle to call home. Riot Force works great for the militant, mercenary, hard-hitting and technologically-inclined types. What we don't have is a single place for a whole other genre of characters, the mystic adventurer. The Hellboy, the John Constantine, the Alucard. To some degree the Legendary can take those types, but we figured...well, a 'First Line of Defense Against The Darkness' magic group would complement what we already have. 
How far the whole 'secret cabal' thing goes remains to be seen, but it was the initial hook. That's just our attempt at giving the SG some life and personality...while not restricting the potential membership. I mean, we have a traditional robed mage, a techno-goth steampunk hacker, a guy with Chinese numerology and a snappy suit. With three wide backgrounds.
In response to what Sofaspud said ... really, origin strictly doesn't matter. It's mystic inclination, not magic in and of itself. To use the example of the three characters we have, Stormgear's guy is not really a magic user at all. He does things with chi, but he classifies that as 'Natural' - which indeed CoH canon seems to agree with. Foreshadow's 'Natural' if I recall, and as he appears in-game (redside mission)...Foreshadow has 'Chi Blast' powers. We wanted to provide as broad a base as possible, while retaining a unique mystic flavour.
What we didn't consider is that the 'secret' part of the group might be a problem. For Ankhani's defender... the 'official representative to this world' thing doesn't play well with the idea of a shadow organization, you're right. Certainly not the secret part. On the other hand, we really haven't decided how old the group is, or how much standing and influence it's supposed to have. I'm hesitant to claim that it's really all that, partially because I dislike writing one's own character (or group) with ZOMG MARY SUE POWAH.
But it may well be significant enough that, to Natalie's superiors, the group is considered a legitimate point of contact. Or it could simply be the first/initial point of contact. OOCly, the headquarters doesn't exist yet. But ICly, we figured it'd be something like a big arcane-steampunk library (lots of wood, brick, and strange bits of machinery). Trick is, the centre of the place would be some sufficiently impressive looking chamber which can see beyond dimensions. As far as Natalie's people are concerned, maybe these guys just have a good stable Internet connection. Wink Easier to phone home? I dunno. I know nuts about your source material. Just throwing this out.
-- Acyl

Hm, now this looks like the perfect place for Warlock Wolf (he's a Benandanti werewolf dedicated to hunting down demons and evil mages). Alcatraz, maybe,
if the group could use a liaison to the PPD. Smile

-Sam

"This is graveness."

...hmmm... I have one empty slot left, or this could help me to decide on getting rid of Death or Jet Jaguar. (I do love playing with them, but they havn't
done anything in over a month.)

I can give you a bit more info on Natalie's background next time I see you, but I think it could work out well enough. Especially if you decide that the
SG's 'founding' is just their decision open a more public front for the group.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I'm thinking that this group would be much better fit for Nar'teth than Riot. He's goddess blessed, and magically oriented. Oh, and on a quest,
too. May I see about entry when I get back from vacation?

*delets Ultraman Omega* there made room, it's up and waiting.