Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purrfect Case
Purrfect Case
Wednesday, 4:30 pm

Atlas Park

Dark Seraph sat down at his battered old desk and let out a sigh. It seemed like forever since he last took on a simple case, what with being a hero and
family matters taking up nearly all his time he hadn't really taken on any jobs of late. Hell, he couldn't even remember the last time he actually came
to the office.

As he filed away some paperwork that he had left sitting on the desk since he started the agency months ago, he heard a gentle knock at the door. "Come
in." he called. He was surprised to see a short figure in a trenchcoat and large fedora hat enter. The figure padded across the room, their feet hardly
making a noise, as they reached his desk, a brown furred hand reached out and placed a piece of paper on the desk. Seraph picked it up and read it.

"Sorry for the note, but I have a speech impediment. I wish to hire you to investigate a new drug that's been hitting the streets. It goes by the
name 'Yarnball', and is a highly addictive substance that has some major side effects."

D.S. looked back to his potential client. "And the reason you came to a PI instead of going to the cops?" he asked.

The figure pulled of there hat off and revealed that she was a catgirl, Siamese by the looks of her. She let out a string of meows before getting a note pad
from her pocket and writing another message. Seraph took the note.

"The cops are taking too long, and you have a rep for getting the job done quickly."

Seraph thought about this, it would be nice to get some normal work done.

"Okay. I'll do it, but there are some ground rules. First I need to know who I'm working for. Second, I need all the info you have. And
thirdly, I would like forty percent of my fee paid in advance. I've heard of this Yarnball and what it does, so call it hazard pay. "

The girl quickly wrote another note and handed it over along with a vial of greenish white powder and a cheque. Seraph gently put the vial down and read the
note.

"This is a sample of Yarnball I obtained while helping some heroes take down a local ring. As for my name, call me Purrfect Catgirl."

He carefully wiped his hand. "Okay, ma'am, I'll get on it right away." He said as he stood up.

P.C. let out a happy mew and bowed before leaving.

Seraph smiled to himself. It looked like his first job in a while might be an easy one

Kings Row, two hours later

Seraph swore violently as he ducked behind a shipping crate. This was not going as he expected. It had been a simple thing to cast a homing spell on the
sample that P.C. had given him. The spell led him to the closest stash of Yarnball. Instead of finding a drug ring, however, what he discovered was a warehouse
full of doped up catgirls. Unfortunately, they discovered him at the same time. Now, he was doing his best not to avoid being their new "scratching
post".

He quickly looked around the crate and let off a blast wave of arcane energy before running back down the hall. He had tried to fly out earlier, but had
nearly got flayed alive by a pair of cats lurking in the roof. What he needed was a plan, and more importantly he needed some room to come up with said plan.
He ran around the corner and ducked as another cat girl lobbed a bag of Yarnball at him.

"MOUSIE!" a voice bellowed. Seraph popped out his head and saw a massive catgirl, she could almost pass as a troll she was that big.
"MOUSIE!" she yelled again. "I know you wants our Yarnball, why run from it? We will not hurt you, share it and know the fun."

Seraph swore. They weren't trying to kill him, they wanted to dope him up and make him a kitty! He was in no mood to go through that sort of shit.

Now it was time for "Plan W": Wing it. Jumping out from behind his cover, he summoned a snowstorm around the giant cat. She yowled in anger before
charging at him. Seraph covered himself in a coat of ice as she slammed into him. "Mousie has ice…too bad I have fire," she cackled as flames
surrounded her hands and she brought them down in a viscous swipe. Seraph failed to dodge in time and yelped as the claws tore along his back. "This stuff
is great, Mousie, but it's even better when mixed with 'Dyne." She purred as she tore another strip out of Seraphs back.

"What the…you mix it?" seraph gasped as she picked him up.

"Oh yes, speed and grace of a cat with the power of a troll…it's gonna be the next big thing."

He could see her face clearly now. Vestigial horns poked through the fringe of her hair, and her face looked more like a lion than a cat.

"So, Mousie want to be a kitty?" she purred.

"How about I split, instead?" he let off a small blast of light in her face and hit the ground running. The cat-troll roared in pain and confusion
before flinging fire balls at him. Seraph tried to duck and weave, but with his back torn up the best he could manage was a drunken stager. The girl had gone
berserk, flinging fire balls all over the place, She's insane! Seraph thought. She's not watching where she's hurling those damn
fireballs! One misfired ball and she'll bring the whole place down around our ears!
Seraph watched as one of the fireballs hit a propane tank.
"Fucking Murphy." He swore.

The resulting fire ball picked him up and slammed him back into the catgirl with enough force to wind her. Slowly, he got to his feet and tagged the nutter
for the Zig.

As she beamed out, he turned to see fire burning everything in its path. The remaining catgirls were running for the exits. Seraph was about to join them
when he heard a scream. Looking back, he could just make out a figure behind a wall of flames. Without even pausing to think, he cast Flight and shot through
the flames. He landed on the other side, just in time to see the figure collapse. Running over, Seraph checked to see if the figure was okay, and was mildly
surprised to see it was a fully clothed catgirl. Carefully, he picked her up. She still had a pulse witch was a good sign. Looking around for a way out, he
could just make out a skylight through the smoke. Hunching over to protect the girl from the worst of it, Seraph shot straight up through the air, smashing
through the glass with his back. The pain was excruciating as the glass shattered around him. As soon as he was clear, he shot down to street level where
emergency crews where already gathering.

The girl stirred in his arms and looked at him. "Who... who are you?" she asked.

"Just a guy that happened to be in the right place at the right time." Seraph replied as he touched down on the pavement.

A paramedic ran over to take the girl from him. "You okay, sir?" One of them asked.

"Huh?" Seraph was having trouble thinking straight with the pain in his back, not to mention he was feeling kind of lightheaded.

"Sir, your back is pretty badly messed up." the medic replied.

Looking over his shoulder Seraph could see his back was a rather horrid sight.

"Um…ow!" He said before passing out.

Atlas Hospital - Several hours later

When he came to, Seraph realised he was in a hospital bed, which meant he overdid it… again. Sighing, he sat up, his back screaming in pain as he looked
around. It was night time from what he could tell, which meant he missed most of movie night. Gir was going to be upset; she had been so looking forward to it.
As he hunted around the room for his clothes, the door opened and a nurse came in.

"Oh, I didn't know you where awake yet. How are you doing?" she asked

"Okay I guess, I mean I wasn't hurt that badly." He replied.

"Well, you did come close to severing several major blood vessels in your back, along with some minor burns and smoke inhalation. It's a wonder
you're even standing."

"Meh, it comes from being stubborn."

The nurse giggled at his remark. "Oh, and I have your blood tests. You'll be glad to know that they all came back negative for Yarnball."

Seraph gave a sigh of relief. The last thing he needed in his life was a sudden change of gender, especially when so far there looked like there was no way
to reverse it.

"So, am I free to go?" he asked the nurse.

"I'll have to double-check with Doctor Brown, but I don't see why not." As she turned to leave, she paused. "Oh I almost forgot, the
young woman you saved today asked me to pass this on." She handed Seraph a "get well soon" card. When she left he opened it and read the
message. It was the stranded gift shop "hope you feel better soon" stuff, under it was written the following:

"I wish I could think of something better to write than thank you, but I'm not very good with words, you saved my life today and I can't thank
you enough for it.

From Michelle Taylor."

Seraph looked at the card. It was kind of odd, he never been given a thank you note before. When the nurse returned with Doctor Brown, he gave Seraph a
quick once over before giving him the all clear to go home.

On his way out he stopped by the gift store and got a card for the girl he saved. After all one good deed deserved another. After filling it out, he dropped
it off at the reception desk and headed home.

Dark Seraph's Apartment Building - Minutes later.

The upside of his current housing was that it was right behind the hospital. He headed in the door and walked over to the elevator, put in his key, and
tapped the button for the penthouse level. He was still somewhat amused that Silicon had just given the place to him. Seraph stepped out of the elevator into
near total darkness. As he suspected the household was asleep. As he had suspected, he had missed movie night, and he was going to have to spend tomorrow
apologizing to his daughter.

The only light in the room was a static-like flicker from the living room. Seraph entered the room and discovered the TV had been left on, and that Gir and
her new girlfriend Patti had apparently fallen asleep watching it. However, as he got closer, he realized there more to it than that. Both Gir and Patti were
half-naked, their shirts were nowhere to be seen. Gir had apparently fallen asleep in Patti's lap, and had snuggled into Patti's bosom, using it as a
makeshift pillow. Likewise, Patti had Gir in a loose, yet intimate embrace. Her head had rolled forward in her sleep, coming to rest lightly on the top of
Gir's head. Both had happy, content smiles on their face and almost seemed to glow.

Seraph sighed, a little relieved when he noticed both Patti and Gir at least still had their pants and bras on. Still, that kind of behavior on the couch
wasn't exactly appropriate, and he would have to discuss that with Gir tomorrow…er, later today.

Seraph walked down the hall to a closet, and pulled a spare blanket out of storage, his mind momentarily thinking more of the events in the warehouse than
the two figures on his couch. He'd nearly gotten himself killed, and he was still no closer to finding the source of Yarnball, or who was smuggling it into
Paragon City. He ran the information over in his head a few times, as he covered up the two lovers and let them sleep.

He retired to his own bedroom, the case still on his mind as he dressed for bed, gingerly moving his back as he did so, and climbed in.

Sleep would not come easy that night.

writen buy me with a lot (and i mean alot) of help from Ran.

enjoy

Quote:Gir and her new girlfriend Patti had apparently fallen asleep watching it.

d'awwww

Ran did an outstanding job of editing - you did some VERY nice writing.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

welllll.... ran kind... maybe, wrote the last part.... cuz i suck at such things