Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TotI: Steely-Eyed Missile Man
TotI: Steely-Eyed Missile Man
Steely-Eyed Missile Man
1:

Shit always happens when you're trying to sleep. Always. It's like a rule or something. Up there in Heaven, there's probably a God of Slumber Interrupted by Bloody Loud Noise. Or maybe a Goddess.

Yeah, definitely a Goddess.

I cracked open one eyelid, and looked up. Yeah...flashing lights, gunfire, the whole deal. Hell, some idiot out there was using full magazines of tracer.

My blanket went over my head, and I screwed my eyes shut. It didn't help, not really. I'm a man of many talents, but the ability to voluntarily disconnect my ears and optic nerves isn't among them. There was just too much for me to block out. I wasn't getting back to sleep anytime soon, no matter how tired I was.

Back when I was in college, I rented my own place just to get away from crap like this. Nobody likes pulsing techno backbeat at four in the morning. Or worse, listening to the guys upstairs moving furniture and vigorously agreeing with each other.

But I didn't exactly have a choice of accommodations anymore, or my pick of neighbors. Public housing sucks. The government really doesn't give a damn. Thanks for nothing, Uncle Sam.

"Give up, kid," my roommate drawled, "might as well enjoy the show."

I told him exactly what he could do with his show, in as much graphic detail as my fuzzy brain could muster.

He laughed.

The bastard.

He was right, though. Damnit. I sat up, swung my legs off the bunk, and rubbed my eyes. Through blurred vision, I stared at my roomie. He smirked back.

"They're early," I grumbled, raising my voice to be heard over the din, "it ain't October."

"Ehhh, not by much," he replied, "ya know how it is. Big teams all want first pick of the draft."

"Thought you didn't follow that," I accused.

He shrugged. "Not hard to track the season."

My jaw itched. Needed a shave. I scratched absently as I looked out the door. It wasn't hard, since some enterprising soul had removed the entire thing. There were little bits of twisted metal where the hinges used to be, hanging forlornly from the frame.

That bit of postmodern deconstructionist interior design was new. I asked my roomie about it. He nodded.

"Probably what woke yer up," he said, "the new guy, whatsisname, from down the block? Used it to pound a guard."

"Damn," I muttered, "our door? Hope they don't make us pay for that."

"It's insured," my roomie answered, diffidently. He didn't look too concerned, so I took his word for it.

We watched the riot in silence for a while. Well, my cellmate watched it. Seemed to amuse him. I just glared at the chaos. Nothing better to do. What I really wanted was some good old-fashioned nocturnal action, and not the kind you do with company. Obviously I wasn't going to get it.

It wasn't a bad show, though. I mean, I really wanted some sleep, but if I had to watch it...well, there was some entertainment value at least.

You know that whole thing where people make music by banging on random junk - garbage cans, pots, pans, that sorta shit? Used to be kinda original, until everyone and their inbred hick cousin started doing it. But there's a difference between just doing it...and doing it well.

Some of the guys were almost artistes. Not much technical merit, but top marks for enthusiasm. Emotion in the performance and all. To be fair, this wasn't exactly the preferred medium for most of 'em. But the Zigursky Penitentiary had some pretty damn good ways of locking down powers. Inhibitor collars, suppression fields, drugs in the food...the whole tinfoil hat treatment.

So the guys out there, they kinda had to improvise.

I had to give credit to the boys across the hall. From what I could see of their handiwork, if phone lines were open, they'd definitely get my vote. Real talent. Never seen a prison toilet used quite like that before.

Someone came up to our door. Or where the door used to be, anyway.

I tensed, then relaxed. The guy didn't look like a threat. Yeah, he was wearing a uniform, but his rifle was slung by his side. He was carrying something else.

Hard to be terrified of a man with a clipboard.

"Balestrieri, Benjamin," he asked, "no middle initial?""

My cellmate grunted in the affirmative.

The guy at the door squinted at his papers. Looked like he did, anyway. He had one of those creepy black helmets, so I couldn't see his eyes. But his body language was pretty clear - poor working stiff trying to do his job. I could sympathize.

Almost.

"No known powers," the guy continued, looking to Benny for confirmation, "possible esper connection to anomalous artifact weapons - paired forty-five caliber and nine millimeter semi-automatics?"

Benny's eyes narrowed. I could see him tense up. "Whadda ya want with my girls?"

"I'll take that as a yes," our visitor murmured, making a little note on his clipboard. Then he flicked the pen tip at me. "Abramowicz, Ezekiel J."

"That's me," I agreed, warily.

"Third-generation enhanced anatomy, physiology. Super-soldier serum. Super-speed, super-strength, invulnerability?"

"Generic super, I know," I answered, rubbing my scalp, "but I'm good with balloon animals, if you wanna put that down."

Benny chuckled.

Clipboard guy just gave me a stare.

"Zeke Abramowicz, aka. 'Missile Man', alias 'The Scud for Hire', alias 'Patriot Knockoff', also known as..."

"Yeah, yeah," I cut him off before he could get to the really embarrassing ones. Like the name with 'Minuteman' in it. Sounded okay to most folks, fit the theme and everything. But if I remembered right, that particular one was from my psycho ex. Baaad memories.

Hell, my body parts could punch through steel, but was that good enough for her? Nooooo, invulnerable guys are a dime a dozen, she said. Doesn't count if your godmode crashes after a couple minutes, she said...

Bitch.

Thankfully, the guy stopped. But then he just stood there, looking vaguely impatient.

I frowned at him. "What?"

He pointed. "You, Abramowicz? You're on the list."

Okay. Now that was new.

I'd like to say I gave some incredibly witty retort there and then, the stuff of movie trailers and multi-million Youtube hits. But in the interests of accurate reporting, I must admit I just stared at him.

Suave, I know. A regular rock star, that's me.

Benny came over, and smacked me hard on the shoulder. I barely felt it - though Benny winced, and flexed his hand. But he managed to get out what he wanted to say, which was: "Congrats, kid."

I just sat there. "The fuck?"

Momma taught me that a well-brought-up gentleman does not use profanity in everyday conversation. Shouldn't be a habit or anything. But occasional indulgence is acceptable, in moderation. Like socially, or on special occasions.

This felt like an appropriate time. Hell, it probably demanded more than just cheap grocery-store swearing, but I was fresh out of good vintage profanity. A simple 'fuck' was all I had, really.

"I said," the clipboard guy repeated, as if talking to a slow child, "you're on the list."

"I got that," I stated, getting to my feet. The concrete flooring felt distantly chill through my skin. "I mean, the fuck l am I doing on your list? Don't remember sending you boys a resume."

"Arachnos has a very efficient HR department," the spider responded, blandly.

That earned him a fresh glare. "Really," I snarled.

The spider shrugged. "They're psychic."

I folded my arms across my chest. "Funny, real funny."

"Nah," Benny interrupted, "he ain't snowin' ya. They have these chicks who see the future..."

"Oh," I mumbled, "now I feel stupid."

Benny coughed. "Only now?"

"Don't start, man," I warned, "don't start. I'm having a very trying day. Which might become a psychotic episode at any moment."

"I hate to break up this touching interlude," the Arachnos goon said, in the sort of voice that meant nothing of the sort, "but we're on a schedule."

"Better go, kid," Benny gave me a shove, "send me a postcard."

It wasn't enough to actually budge me - even under inhibitors, I was a damn sight heavier than a stock showroom model. But I stumbled out of the cell anyway.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered, "thanks."

I actually meant it. He was a decent sort to share a cell with. A little gun-crazy, but hey, we all have our hobbies. More importantly, Benny didn't snore much, didn't clog the toilet, didn't insist we should share bunks for experiments in land-based synchronized swimming...unlike some guys I could name.

"No prob," Benny said, "knock 'em dead."

I got a few steps down the hall before I stopped, and turned round. "Hey, you really want the the postcard?"

"Nah," Benny replied, "I'll be out soon anyway. Good behavior."

"You sure?"

He thought about it. "Mail some decent coffee?"

"Will do."

He gave me a thumbs up.

The Arachnos guy was waiting for me at the end of the corridor. "Helicopter's parked outside. Can you find the North courtyard, or do you need a map?"

"I'll be fine," I assured him, "just follow the bodies, right?"

He nodded, then snapped something off his clipboard and handed it to me. I looked down - it was a strip of cheap card, perforated two-thirds down the way.

"Boarding pass," the spider explained, "keep the stub. It'll get you discounts at the Arachnos quartermaster, or special offers at participating shops and restaurants."

I blinked. "Seriously?"

"No," he stated, flatly. Then after a beat, he added, "I lied about the quartermaster. Your best bet is the sushi place in Mercy. Twenty percent off the lunch buffet."

"Huh," I mused, "I thought you guys were supposed to be humorless stormtroopers. Witty banter is a costumed thing. You're taking our jobs, man."

The spider shrugged. "I do night classes at Aeon University. Professional skills upgrading. Tough market, you know?"

"I hear ya," I replied, waving the ticket, "North courtyard, right?"

"Mm-hm."

"Cool," I said, "seeya."

"Have a nice day."

I made my way down the cell block, heading for the nearest hole in the walls. Was a pity Zig jumpsuits don't come with pockets. I felt the sudden urge to stick my hands in them. A casual saunter just isn't the same without that detail.

When I got into better light, I glanced at my helicopter ticket. The illumination from the perimeter watchtowers was a little harsh, but I could make out the seat number. Good enough.

Someone took a shot at me. Police sniper, probably. Standing in the open under a searchlight, I must have been a tempting target. It stung a little, but it was just a normal round, not Impervium-tipped or anything. Must be budget cuts.

Just as well, really. With the collar still on, I wasn't exactly swift enough to dodge. But even without active power effects, I still had the benefits of good clean living and a healthy diet. I was a good boy; always ate my vegetables.

The Arachnos transport was easy to find. It wasn't exactly a crowded parking lot. I got on board, found my place, and sat through the inevitable departure delays and boring safety video.

The girl in the next seat tried to make small talk, but I did the polite disinterest thing until she got the hint and shut up. She was nice enough, but she was a dog.

Literally.

I don't have anything against furry girls...tails and tongue are kinda hot. But this lady had some seriously bad breath. I think she stopped to nom a prison warden before catching the heli.

Can't say I blame her. See, they fed us when we got under way - except the in-flight meal was terrible. I swear, Arachnos must let Captain Mako design their rations.

As I settled in for a nap, I genuinely hoped that spider guy had been telling the truth about restaurant discounts.

The flight was pretty good, though. Damn smooth for a military VTOL. And with the Rogue Isles a few hours out, I had time to catch some sleep.

Good enough for me.

Now for something different. You know I'm terrible with finishing fiction I start. So in an attempt to force myself to write SOMETHING regularly, and perhaps actually conclude the various bits of crap I have pending, I am beginning another project.
Wait, what? No, no, listen, see - 'Steely-Eyed Missile Man' can never be unfinished, because it has no plot or ending. It's simply a running episodic chronicle of the life and times of Ezekiel 'Zeke' Abramowicz, aka. 'Missile Man'. Possibly with flashbacks to his past. Possibly not. But either way, each bit I post will be self-contained.
I do kinda intend to roughly follow him as he levels up, though. Missile Man is a lowbie SS/SR Brute.
Benny appears courtesy of Sofaspud - he is Sofa's future dual pistols character, who last appeared in his own little bit over in the snippets thread. I really liked that piece, and thought Benny was an awesome character. Sofa was kind enough to let me borrow him. The unnamed Wolf Spider is actually Operative Parker, my TacOps VEAT.
-- Acyl

Nice start, Acyl. Can't wait to see more.

Odd coincidence time: I created my first new villain in a while last night (a necro/Dark Miasma MM I called "Death Miser"-- "Whatever I touch,
starts to rot in my clutch/I'm too much"), and on my way into the sewers in Breakout I passed an NPC named Benny who said "Nah, I don't want
to go, I'm getting out on parole tomorrow." Wonder if he's Spud's guy.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Great
This is one hell of a good read Acyl. Thanks!

Shayne

Quote: Odd coincidence time: I created my first new villain in a while last night (a necro/Dark Miasma MM I called "Death Miser"-- "Whatever I touch,
starts to rot in my clutch/I'm too much"), and on my way into the sewers in Breakout I passed an NPC named Benny who said "Nah, I don't
want to go, I'm getting out on parole tomorrow." Wonder if he's Spud's guy.

*grins slyly at Bob, says nothing*

I commented privately already, but it bears repeating: Acyl, you do some damn fine work, sir. I'm very keen on seeing more, and I like the one-off format
you've adopted. It's like catching an episode of a good show on TV; juuuust enough there, loose ends tied up, but you want MORE. Big Grin

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I found the references to the classic "Flying Brick" archetype far too amusing, as well as Parker's commentary. After all, even VEATs probably
have to get the old Breakout job once in a blue moon.

That and the "she was a dog. Literally." line just slew me. :lol
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Quote: OpMegs wrote:

I found the references to the classic "Flying Brick" archetype far too amusing, as well as Parker's commentary. After all, even VEATs probably
have to get the old Breakout job once in a blue moon.

If you haven't read P.S. 238, there's a marvelous comment about the F.I.S.S. powerset (Flying, Invulnerability, Super-Strength). Since it's such a
common powerset, the supers that have it aren't particularly desirable in the realm of the super-employed, or they're pretty much treated as grunts.
One of the characters, an F.I.S.S. attending PS 238 (the elementary school for supers), asks each F.I.S.S. what his or her "number" is (as in the
number in the series of F.I.S.S. supers to manifest). She's Number 84, which does little for her self-esteem among a cast of increasingly unique
super-powered kids (even the non-powered crime fighter trainee is unique). When she finally overcomes her self-doubt, she gets a costume with a big
"84" on it, essentially claiming her number as her codename.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Steely-Eyed Missile Man

2:

I'm not a Samuel L. Jackson fan.

I have nothing against the guy, mind you. It's just that he's built his entire damn career out of being a badass. A
vaguely camp badass, at that.

That's fine, y'know. That shit sells movies.

But me? I dunno. Maybe I'm a being an elitist prick, but I kinda want more from films than just two hours of a big black man
being aggressively awesome at people.

Of course, it's not like I've had the opportunity to catch Jackson's work in theaters. And it was pretty hard to get
DVD rental at my last couple places of residence.

Definitely no Netflix in the Zig. Hell, I was lucky just to get a flushing toilet.

All the same, I know who Samuel L. Jackson is, and I must admit at least passing familiarity with his body of work. It's
kinda required knowledge in my field.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Really good witty banter shouldn't rely on pop cultural references. You never know if your dancing
partner hails from Atlanta, Georgia...or Alpha Centauri. So being overly specific doesn't really pay off. It's no good if the other guys don't get
the joke.

Case in point:

"I have had it," I snarled, "with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!"

They didn't get it. They just stared at me blankly with cold reptilian eyes. A couple of them hissed in confusion. But it
wasn't exactly an overwhelming reception.

Pity, really.

Now, typically I'd follow that kind of puzzled look up with a crack to the effect of, I dunno - where have you been? Under a
rock all these years? Something like that, anyway. Except in this case, the answer would be yes.

One of them tried to bite me. His fangs sunk into my arm, but didn't break the skin. Even with the damned Zig restraint
collar still clamped around my neck, I could shrug off crap like that.

Didn't make it any less annoying, though.

I snapped my arm to the side, driving the little bastard into the wall - hard enough to crater the brick and mortar. The impact
stunned the snake-man. Or killed him. I couldn't tell. Either way, his jaw went slack, which was all I really cared about.

I pulled my limb free, just in time to swing round and intercept the next one as he jumped through the air. Scaly coils wrapped
round me, trying to gain purchase. To be fair, it was a credible effort. The creatures were strong, damned strong.

A normal guy caught in that grip would probably just die from asphyxiation. Or hell, broken bones. Maybe even pulped internal
organs.

Me, I'd probably have a couple bruises in the morning.

Powering out of the vice took a couple of seconds. Took about that long for me to reverse the hold and get my hands around my
attacker's neck.

Well, if a snake-man has a neck. Biology was never my favorite subject in high school, aside from the chapters on human
reproduction.

Still, I figured the bit between the creature's arms and head had to qualify. Made the right kind of noises, anyway. Always
a good sign.

I felt a little guilty. I mean, for all I knew, the snake guys were an endangered species or something. If so, I'd just set
Greenpeace conservation efforts back a hundred years.

But a man should have the right to walk down the street without having to worry about crazy slithering monsters. It's just
not socially acceptable to encounter snakeskin in a darkened alley.

Unless it's on a miniskirt and attached to a hooker. Then maybe.

Otherwise...no. Just no.

They told me Mercy was a rough town. Slums, sure. Nothing new there. But when most folks call a neighborhood a snakepit,
they're speaking figuratively.

Ha-ha. Thank you, Arachnos. I love your sense of humor. 'Love', in this case, defined as the sort of pure unadulterated
hatred and loathing found only in preschool playground courtship rituals. Complete with hair pulling and kicks to the groin.

I walked onward, climbing over what was left of a wrecked car. I felt like crap. And I probably looked it, too. Not that there
were any reflective surfaces around for me to check, not in a town decorated in the post-industrial deconstructionist aesthetic, with hints of neo-apocalyptic
architecture.

When a place has random fires instead of street lamps, you worry.

Warm welcome, huh?

Somewhere in the good part of town, there was some bright Arachnos officer responsible for my predicament. This whole shitfest
was a test. Weed out the weak from the strong, some crap like that.

When I found that guy, we'd have words.

Two words, actually, Four letters, three letters. Second word is 'you'.

Spelt in Morse Code. On his skull.

Any other employer would have, I dunno, interviews and stuff. But no, not Arachnos. They're better than that.

Obviously, the good gentlemen of Arachnos value practical industry experience more than paper qualifications. Unless it's a
diploma from the school of hard knocks.

I should have got the hint when the helicopter landed.

I was wondering why they called the airport 'Fort Darwin'.

Silly me.

When Arachnos broke us out of the Zig, they promised hot meals and a bunk. Sure.

But when we landed, the nice friendly spider-people told us that apparently our accommodation was all the way across town. No
problem, just a short leisurely walk from the drop-off point.

Right.

I talked to one of the locals hanging around the helipad. A taxi driver, or so he claimed. Except he couldn't get me to the
good part of town. Because he didn't actually have a car. No, what he actually had, when he lead me to the parking lot, was a knife.

Nothing drives home the horrible effects of poverty and inequality than something like that.

I mean, back in Paragon, if you're gonna rob somebody, you use a gun. Or some funky piece of alien technology. Or a magic
sword. You know. Something decent like that. But this guy, he had a knife.

For a moment, I was expecting it to shoot a laser beam or something. But no, he just sorta poked me. Or tried to, anyway. His
technique wasn't bad. He really leaned into the stab, used his body and everything. It's just...the blade couldn't really sink in.

I just stood there for a while. Didn't know what to say. It was kinda awkward.

Honestly. A knife.

But it's a third world country. Can't expect the same service standards.

Yeah, I know, I know. That's a terrible thing to say. We're supposed to be kind and understanding in this enlightened
new era.

Yet for some reason, I just can't muster up the ability to be charitable towards a place that looks and smells like a
shithole. An outdoor shithole. Without any kind of flushing mechanism.

Let's just say...my first impression of the Rogue Isles wasn't a great one.

You know how it is. Things always look better in the brochure. But when you actually get there, you find yourself wishing
you'd booked that trip to some other vacation spot. Like, I dunno, Disneyland, Baghdad. Or maybe Universal Studios, Pyongyang.

But the Rogue Isles? Pfft.

They're never gonna capture the tourist dollar like this.

Shame, really.

See, Mercy was a quaint little port town when the French colonized the archipelago. The French build cool stuff. They're
European and therefore more awesome with architecture. By definition. Old buildings are supposed to be impressive, right?

So the good folks of Arachnos are progressive and efficient gentlemen, right? As forward-looking urban planners, clearly
they've taken great pains to conserve the great historical buildings of Mercy, while simultaneously developing innovative new living spaces for future
generations.

Yeah. Right.

If you believe that, my left buttcheek is the Pope.

This place was a crappy little backwater even way back when. Time hasn't improved things. It's not exactly a finely aged
vintage. More like vinegar.

Some governments try to fight urban decay. Arachnos? Didn't even try. They just fenced up the good part of town. And I'm
not talking chain link and barbed wire here. I'm talking massive steel walls with honest-to-God turrets.

Mind you, it was a pretty damn impressive sight when I finally reached it.

The ground leading up to the gates was surprisingly clear of debris. Well, surprising at first. I wasn't sure why, right
until I saw the guns tracking my movements as I approached the gate. Then the reason became pretty obvious.

Guess that's one way to keep the riff-raff out. Seal off the slums and let 'em rot. Shoot anyone who tries a little
upward mobility.

Viva la Bourgeoisie.

There were armed guards at the gates. I walked right up to them.

I wasn't exactly trying to conceal my approach. I figured the grimy prison jumpsuit made it pretty obvious who and what I
was.

Namely, a guy in urgent need of a shower.

-- Acyl

I'm still chuckling at the description of Mercy Gate here, if only because it's so true. Most of us see it in gameplay terms, but if the area was a
real place, the impression it'd give supervillains fresh out of the Zig is telling.

That, and the concept of the turrets gunning down unfortunate Infected as they attempt to get further up amuses me for some strange, sadistic reason.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."