Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HotWS: Legacy Pt 1
HotWS: Legacy Pt 1
OK, so it's been a hell of a long time since I've done any kind of writing that resembles a story. There's been some flavor text writing for RPGs
here and there, but nothing more than a paragraph. So any opinions people can give me are greatly appreciated. This is something that popped into my head
yesterday when I decided to try a new character for the House (A BS/EA Scrapper). sort of a prelude to her. This is a small snippet I was able to put
together today between calls.

Also, I apologize for any spelling/grammer errors. The Word 2007 at work doesn't have a functioning spell checker for some reason.

The House of the Wayward Soul: Legacy

He ran.

His beath was shallow and his lungs felt like they were on fire.

But still, he ran.

His feet were raw. Bloody footprints on the ground were the only mark
he would leave in on world.

But still, he ran.

The smooth feel of the stone in his palm was the only thing keeping him going.
Like granite wrapped in silk. Firm but soft to the touch. The energy
pulsing within it told him to stop. To give in to the warmth he could feel in his cold, clammy hands.

But still, he ran.

Until he could run no more.

Kaitlyn shifted uncomfortably in her chair. Her long leather skirt
seemed to stick to the faux leather seat cushion, squeeking a bit as she moved. "Damn, It's hot?" she thought to herself, wishing she hadn't worn the leather jacket today. "Probably turned up the bloody heat ta make it as uncomfortable as possible in
here. Hell, not even sure why I'm here ta begin with."

In truth, Kaitlyn knew why she was here; as did the man across the desk from her, his displeasing look making
her far more uncomfortable than a simple wooden chair.

"Why couldn't they make these bloody things more
comfortable?"
she thought to herself as she shifted again, her eyes not leaving the man's stoic gaze.

"You do realize why you're here, don't you Miss O'Kane?"
His expression remained calm and collected, almost no hint of emotion in his voice.

"Of course you fuckin' git!" she thought to
herself, but replying to him only with a simple nod.

"Do you also realize that young Mr. Mallen will be enjoying his next few months of meals through a straw
thanks to your rash actions." He rose from his chair and slowly began to circle the desk, taking a seat on the
corner as if to be physically intimidating.

She'd never met the Dean before and only saw him in pictures. He
looked like he belonged in a Dilbert comic with his balding head, shirt, pudgy physique, and cheap grey suit. However,
his appearance belied the man's cold, stoic demeaner, which was more than enough to make even the most bitter or hardened person uncomfortable and
edgy.

Kaitlyn shifted nervously again and then winced a little as her boot accidentally kicked his desk. Her eyes remained focused on him as re-adjusted the name plate on his desk and moved what was out of place back to perfection.

"I'm sorry Mr. Cole. Wasn't what I was aimin' ta
do," she replied. She tried to sound apologetic to the Dean of Students, but the shouts from the voice in her head
made her sound more forced than anything.

"I wanted to kick his fuckin' head off!"

"And what would push you to take such a drastic action Miss O'Kane?" He rose from the corner and walked to the nearby shelf, running a finger along it, checking for dust.

Kaitlyn's grip on the chair's arms tightened a bit, as if she could rip them off with
ease. "The bastard insulted me an ma' family. Said I was tha' one
who was responsible fer... fer their... " Her grip tightened again as her voice trailed off.

"'Death' Miss O'Kane. I believe the word you were
looking for was 'Death'." Mr Cole replied coldly. He began to
slowly pace around the room, adjusting little things here and there. "Yes.
I heard the details of the incident from others who were present. Apparently, he and his friends were making
disparaging remarks about you in the quad and you saw fit to retaliate by nearly shattering his jaw with your... " He
stopped next to her and looked at her feet. "... combat boots." His
voice carried a hint of disgust. "Do you feel your actions were justified?"

"Of course I fuckin do!"

"No sir."

"This git doesn't care!"

"Good. I'm glad to see we are on the same page Miss
O'Kane." He resumed his seat behind the desk and looked to Kaitlyn.
"Unfortunately, despite your understanding of your mistake, Mr Mallen's parents will still be filing charges against the school. You realize, of couse, the repurcusions of this incident will have an adverse effect on your attendance here."

"Can't you hear it in his voice? He's glad you fucked up!"

She nodded. The wooden armrests creaked a little as her grip
tightened

"Excellent." A slight smile crossed Mr Cole's face, the
first sure sign of any emotion since she got here. "Of course, you do realize this incident could have been
avoided had you learned to conduct yourself with a bit more civility, Miss O'Kane?" His voice remained
cold.

"He doesn't respect you.
He's belittling you!"

"I mean, one can hardly blame Mr. Mallen for making such an assumption.
The way you dress and carry yourself about the campus would make anyone presume what Mr Mallen did."

"Show him! Make him
respect you!"
Her grip on the armrest tightened

"Perhaps if you dressed a bit more properly and learned to control that temper of yours, you might
eventually become a productive member of... ."

His words were cut short as Kaitlyn leapt from her chair, hurling it high at the wall behind him, a loud cry
of anger ringing out over the shattering wood. Splinters rained down on him as Mr Cole recoiled from her onslaught,
looking up as he realized the chair didn't hit him. He breathed a quick sigh as he turned back to Kaitlyn only to
see her vault over his desk and drive her black leather boot straight into his face.

A sickening crunch proceeded Mr Cole's cry of pain as he rolled backwards in his chair into the
wall. Kaitlyn landed in front of him, grabbed him by the front of his bloodied shirt, stained by his bleeding broken
nose, and pulled him up out of his chair. She dusted off the wood splinters from his jacket as he clutched his nose and
looked at with abject fear.

"Ah'm sorry Mr Cole. Ah didn't mean ta' lash out like
that." Her words dripped with sarcasm as she continued to tidy up the pudgy little man, flicking the remenants of
the chair from his shoulder and straightening up his jacket. Satisfied, she took a step back and smiled. "Ah hope you'd consider this... " With uncanny speed, she pulled back and drove her fist straight into his face,
driving him back into his chair. "... my notice that ah'm quitin' school."

"Ya presumptuous little bastard!"

With that, she turned and headed for the door, leaving behind a bloody git and a life she never actually
wanted. She was free. Free of these fools and free to make her own
decisions. She realized her life was hers and there was nothing more to fear.

As she closed the door behind her, the voice chimed in again.

"Now, ya just have ta tell Nana ya quit school."

A cold chill ran up Kaitlyn's spine.

Hmmm, nice. I like this girl.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.