Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rant] On Time, The Passing thereof, and Toons
[Rant] On Time, The Passing thereof, and Toons
So....

About six years or so ago, I was just starting out on my own, had just picked up my first computer with my own money, and was reveling in living my own life. A friend of mine took me over to a friend of his, and he was playing a strange game on his computer: he had a man he was dressing up in different costumes. Now, he *said* that this was just the beginning of the game, that there was a whole world after it. I was intrigued, and a few weeks later I picked up my own copy of the game.

You of course know what game it was.

It started out simple for me. I1 - Through the Looking Glass - had just come out. Fifty levels of content just waiting to be explored. I picked a server that seemed lightly populated: Infinity. Only, I was lacking any idea where to start. So, like the Fanfic author I was, I ripped an idea off of someone else, and made Anduros, a MA/SR scrapper dressed in red a black. Anduros, however, never really got anywhere. I think level 7 and Kings Row was where he fell into obscurity. So, back to that wonderful Creator. I had decided this time that my naming scheme was going to follow a pattern: "A", Male; "B", Female; "C", Huge; "D", Male; and so on. Hm. "B" stands for "B"laster, so!

Brahela was born. A Fire/Ice Blaster that I *liked* and was *fun*.

When she was about level 14 I wrote up a story explaining her background. You can read about her http://florestica.com/drogan/coh/purpose.htm]Purpose here. Brah was fun, exciting, and I was looking forward to a fulfilling journey with her.

By the time I had her at level 18 or so, I had already made "C", my only Tanker that was played once and deleted a few months later, and "D"erunichin, a Katana/SR Scrapper, who I wrote about in http://florestica.com/drogan/coh/discovery.htm]Discovery. So I was back to "E" and Female when I was playing Brah with a group in Boomtown, and had a defender on the team. A FF defender.

Brahela fell to the wayside to my new love, El'yia, a FF/Dark Defender. After writing about her http://florestica.com/drogan/coh/darkness.htm]Sorrow, abandoning my naming scheme to make an apprentice of her's called http://florestica.com/drogan/coh/meeting.htm]Xyn'el, El and I shot up through the levels quickly. (for me!)

El reached level 50 about three years after I first made her. At that point, I had made and played other toons rather frequently. I had explored redside with a MM and a dominatior, had made new toons, and had started concentrating on a new server, called Virtue. Reyshal took off where El'yia retired. A Grav/FF Controller who had another 50 levels in front of her.

But, every so often, I went back to my first real toon, Brahela. From where I abandoned her for El at 18, she was creeping up levels. In Jan 09, when she migrated from Infinity Shard to Virtue Shard, she was a respectable 36. But, as everyone knows, Blasters are in debt more often than they are out of it (At least, before Patrol XP came along), so leveling Brah was a tedious balance of paying off debt and gaining XP.

Then Reyshal hit 50. Whoo! Two toons at 50! Myr'tai, my MM, hit 50. Hey! VEATS! Jan 11, and Brahela was level 42. I played her for a day. And I found, I *liked* playing her once again. She became my focus. Over the past week, she's shot up from TFs and Alignment missions from 45 to....

This morning, a PuG of Dr. Khan. I started with Brah at half a bubble into 49. I was *going* to make it to 50 before Saturday and the All-Star Thrash of Khan. For a speed run, there was much dying, debt, and XP. By the time we got to Reichs, Brah was five bubbles in. Just half a level more, and I'd reach my goal. Then came the Reichsman. And death. And more Death. After three defeats and a team wipe, we got our act together and started pulling AVs into the hall to deal with them. Vanessa, Nemesis, Gyrfalcon. The Countess hadn't been called on by the time of the wipe, but we were able to rush Reichs, beat him to a pulp, then dominated Madam Crey.

When she fell, it was "Mission Complete!"

And I noticed sparkling around Brahela. I took a look at the last few chat messages. '2206010 experience gained!' Brahela hit the magic number, six years after creation.

I don't really know why I felt the need to put all this down, but its here. Brah's currently standing by Ramiel, waiting to fight Trapdoor. In my head, of course, she's not gaining stuff from the Well of Furies, but the Well of Innocence. But like all stories, there's a bit of truth in the telling.

Salvte.

Hey! Big congrats in order!

I think I was pretty long-winded about my first 50 to those few who were around at the time. (this was actually pre-Legendary if you can believe that.) But I think I've made such missives before about characters when they've been sitting there for a long time and then finally reached the big Five-oh. 

So no, not out of order at all. ^_^

And congratulations from me as well.

You know, I wish I had thought to write little essays or whatnot about my various 50s; it's a nice idea... Maybe I will someday.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.