Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, I'm back
Well, I'm back
After more than a year (getting close to two) stuck with a computer that couldn't run City of Heroes, I've recently upgraded and am returning to this game once again. I was a bit surprise, upon logging in as Yukiyo, to find out that she's still in The Legendary. I'm quite thankful about that, this has to be my favorite guild/supergroup/thing on any MMO I've ever played.

I look forward to seeing old faces again and meeting new faces.

And now, for the call for help. I started drifting out of the game way back during the time when Ouroboros was new. I remember talk of a soon to come thing, I think it was called Midnight Squad, but never actually saw it. Since then, the game has probably changed a great deal, so I'd like to know if anyone would be kind enough to tell me about it.

Things I've noticed while reading around this forum but have no idea what it is:
-Leveling Pact
-Incarnate rewards, merit rewards, maybe even incarnate powers? (No idea what the whole thing is/means)

Oh and, any architect missions to recommend?

Hoping to see people around,

The Hunterminator
@Glalev
a.k.a. Yukiyo

Hi! Welcome back!

Some quick answers: 

Midnight Squad is the name of a magic-based organization. They're on the side of good. Your first contact with them appears, IIRC at level 20 and doing the arc allows you access to the Midnighter Club zone. (Access is at any of the University sites in the game.) If you are lvl 35, that also gives you access to Cimerora, which is a zone set in the distant past and involves an offshoot of the Roman Empire.

Leveling Pact - you can enter into one of these with another player when you first create a character. A leveling pact locks your character's level to that of another player. XP is rewarded even if you miss some time playing if the other player is playing more. 

Example: Player 1 and Player 2 enter into leveling pact. Player 1 plays 4 nights a week. Player 2 only plays 3 nights a week. Normally this would mean that Player 1 would outlevel Player 2 quickly. But in a leveling pact, Player 2 is awarded the same XP as player 1 regardless. So Player 2 stays at the same level even though they might not play as much. 

If you have concept characters that need to stay leveled with each other, this is a good tool to use. Also good for husband/wife teams. 

Merit Rewards: This is what you get now from Task Forces and story arcs rather than being awarded random rolls. You can still spend merits on random rolls for high quality items/salvage. But you can spend them on other things too. 

Incarnates - yow. That requires it's own topic, really. You'd be wise to check out the info on the official website and/or forum guides. (Let me look that up)

That's a lot of help already. I did look up a bit on Incarnates but all I could really find was that it's what Statesman, Lord Recluse, Stheno, Trapdoor and Imperious. (No idea who the last two are)

Mind you, the City of Heroes Wikia wiki looks a bit dated.

All about incarnates: A player help guide. I recommend starting here. 

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=257011

Edit: Nice short answer on -what- incarnate powers are and do: 

They are part of "The End Game" for level 50s that people have been clamoring for a long time. The designers aren't going to add more levels to the game, unlike WoW. So this is their solution. There are several new Trials/Task Forces (Apex, Tin Mage, Lambda, BAF) that either require unlocking the Alpha slot or your character won't be as effective until you do. Yes - you can run Apex and Tin Mage without having unlocked Incarnate powers.... good luck...

But basically Incarnate powers are all the new stuff that can be unlocked once you're level 50. There's a storyline involved which explains where they come from and how/why they exist. They're very thoroughly thought out. 

*Starts reading but loses concentration fast due to the sheer amount of new information.*

Right, so from what I see, level 50 is a prerequisite for this whole thing. Since my highest level character, Yukiyo, is still only level 31 or 32, I'll just bookmark that and read it once it's actually relevant to me.

As a reading comprehension test, here's what I got. Incarnate slots are like enhancement slots that can only be equipped with incarnate enhancement that need to be built. The difference is that their effect is on all powers in which that kind of enhancement could be slotted.

...Hm.

Actually?

I think that power customization is new since then, too, isn't it.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I think you're right, Valles. 

The Hunterminator Wrote:*Starts reading but loses concentration fast due to the sheer amount of new information.*

Right, so from what I see, level 50 is a prerequisite for this whole thing. Since my highest level character, Yukiyo, is still only level 31 or 32, I'll just bookmark that and read it once it's actually relevant to me.

As a reading comprehension test, here's what I got. Incarnate slots are like enhancement slots that can only be equipped with incarnate enhancement that need to be built. The difference is that their effect is on all powers in which that kind of enhancement could be slotted.
That's a fairly accurate description of the Alpha Incarnate Slot, which is the first slot any level 50 character gets. Later Incarnate slots vary, depending on the classification. The Lore Slot, for example, unlocks a set of pets that a) are staggeringly powerful and b) generally make regular non-Incarnate missions unfun for those of us playing lower-level toons. (Warning, everything that follows the word "pets" is merely the opinion of this player.)  The Judgement Slot, on the other hand, gives the character a powerful attack of a particular type (there are currently four, I believe).
Imperius is the Roman version of Stateman, by the way, which you meet after unlocking Cimerora through the Midnight Club. There are several Roman analogues of Freedom Phalanx and Arachnos NPCs running around that map.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Power customization is new, yeah. I quickly noticed it when making a Praetorian character though. (And I should probably remake Praetorian Yukiyo so she's, you know, Praetorian.)

And looks like I stopped reading too early. Still, it's way too early for me to even think of it. At my average progress, it'll probably be a year before Yukiyo is level 50, especially if my Altitis is as bad as last time I played.

Welcome back! One reason Yukiyo is still with us is that there was no reason for her not to be -- I can't remember how far back it was, but one issue doubled the max number of SG members, and since then, we've never really had to kick anyone just to make room for someone else. And personally, I've liked keeping the "classic" members on the roster even if the player hasn't been around for a while.

Anyway, yeah, lots more new stuff. Including apparently a raft of new powersets soon.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Noticed your ref to the Wikia wiki - don't use that one. Not only can it be plagued with malware ads, the community doesn't update it by and large. The major wiki is at Paragonwiki.com - or wiki.cohtitan.com - same wiki, mirror address. You can search for Issues and get a blow by blow for each one you've missed.

Ah, that explains it. I remember room being a trouble for a while, I'm glad to see it's not longer the case.

As for Paragonwiki.com, just went there, did a search for issues and now have a list. I'm going to have some reading to do but that should be a very good source, thank you for the tip.

A year or two... that means that was before Ultra Mode, Going Rogue, Tips, the transit system, Demons, and all that... fun.

[insert long winded explanation of what is going on, the avoidance of AE farming and future of the game]

In short... Welcome back, hang onto your hat, your in for one hell of a ride.

Well, the transit system isnt exactly NEW. Just the bonus of not having to run all the way across a zone to get from one connection hub to another.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Heh, the new transit system is another thing that will prevent people from going through the experience I had with the Steel Canyon area. God, I hated going from one end to the other so much, the ability to go from one station to the other is great and that, along with how easy to get jetpacks are (were) probably makes it a lot simpler for low level characters to go around.

A few things I noticed:

Epic Archetypes are now unlocked at level 20, which makes them a lot more accessible, the sounds are much improved, customizing powers is great, being able to set an aura as combat only is awesome and the Legendary base gets more and more awesome as time goes on.

Also, a bit less fun, when I use print screen, I only get a black screen. I tried to show my character in progress to someone and couldn't and I was wondering if it happens to everyone now.

The Hunterminator Wrote:Epic Archetypes are now unlocked at level 20, which makes them a lot more accessible, the sounds are much improved, customizing powers is great, being able to set an aura as combat only is awesome and the Legendary base gets more and more awesome as time goes on.

And you haven't even seen the boat that's been built over at the Dojo of the White Tiger.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Oh man, I already noted to go take a look at that base but now I HAVE to see it. A boat... I wonder how that was made...

where were you when you used printscreen? it doesnt work from the charecter select screen and (I think) the powers/enhancments screen However, Shift+Prink screen will still copy the on screen image to the clipboard for pasting into an outside graphics program.

and or maybe its f12 for ss instead of printscrn? gah... should know that without having to think about it and I dont. Embarassing.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:where were you when you used printscreen? it doesnt work from the charecter select screen and (I think) the powers/enhancments screen However, Shift+Prink screen will still copy the on screen image to the clipboard for pasting into an outside graphics program.

and or maybe its f12 for ss instead of printscrn? gah... should know that without having to think about it and I dont. Embarassing.
I was intending to copy the onscreen image to the clipboard actually, and when I pasted, it was all black. I'll try shift+print screen next time, see if that works.