Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: TOR Beta

DRAG0NFLIGHT Wrote:There's missions in the game which require teaming (but they're clearly labeled as "Heroic" and how many people you should optimally have,) and I'll be available if you need help. Well, except for the times I'm in CoH. Even SWTOR doesn't substitute for being a superhero. Smile
A word on group size suggestions. The game itself explains this, but it's worth noting that when it says HEROIC 2, it means two characters - and thus it's potentially doable with just yourself and a companion. HEROIC 2+ really does mean two people and their companions, or a group of three to four players.
-- Acyl

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/651

Apparently this sums up a lot of what I've heard about TOR.

"It's Multiplayer?"

Tongue

Which is about accurate.

Apart form the drive by buffs... and the odd forced grouping, I've been solo all the way baby. No one has yet to answer a basic question: do you get more xp when you team or less overall? CoX you end up with bonus xp in groups over 4.

Anyway my characters: On Begeren Colony

Jelidan - Jedi Shadow
Sicthar - Sith Inquisitor to become Assassin
Mi'av - Jedi Knight
T'yron - Bounty Hunter

You get more XP if you team, because you can take on Heroic quests, Flashpoints (TF equivalent), and eventually Operations (Trial/Raid equiv), all of which have higher concentrations of high level enemies that give significantly more XP. You level *faster* if you team because you benefit from their sidequests that you don't get (class quests, essentially) and a team tends to mow through the content a lot easier than a single player. Also, you can take on random Champion rank enemies (think EBs) that spawn in the wild without dying, which is additional XP. Most of the given quests aren't instanced, aside from storyline quests, so for the most part, you don't get larger spawns if you team.

Also, for me on Begeren:

Priss: Jedi Knight/Sentinel (Dual sabers DPS)
Ne-Nei: Sith Inquisitor/Sorceror (Ranged Lightning DPS)
Keija: Bounty Hunter/Powertech (Ranged DPS/Tank)
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Won't see much of me for the next few days until I get off of vacation and away from the 1500 ping of satellite, however, for future reference:

Ankhani: Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer (Heals and Lightning)
Drysi: Republic Trooper/Vanguard (Tankish stuff)

I would also like to add "Yay Jennifer Hale" for the Female Trooper. That is all.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I wonder how many "Shepard" troopers there are on the servers? Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Could I trouble one of you non-Red Zone people to obtain a Security Key for me please? All my various methods have been ... unsuccessful. And send it to my US address?

How to express this: There are many flaws in SW:TOR, and COX is still my crack, but I'm enjoying my break from CoX atm. SW:TOR is very linear, and teaming, what teaming, and they really need to fix the crafting system really soon. And one area that it really really falls down one is Customer Support: 3-4 days to answer a simple ticket.

After one too many face plants on a Heroic mission (on an Darkside Imperial Sniper... doing Heroic missions *shakes head* ) I'm going to next roll a healer. But the outfits and other stuff that I want are in the CE store which are Bind on Pickup.

You don't need a physical dedicated security key device. You can download the security key app to an iOS or Android device (though this gets slightly tricky if you lose or change your phone later on). The apps are available worldwide, however. Do note Security Key vendor items are NOT the same as the Collector's Edition store - you seem to be confusing the two. If you want the dancer outfits from the Security Key vendor, do note that similar gear is available to everyone on Nar Shadda, if you meet the social rank.
Regarding faceplants: I should note my Imp main - the one I eventually settled on - is a healer, Operative Medicine spec. Name of Rak. Our online times do coincide, I believe, due to geography. I'm only level 20, admittedly, but I figured I'd throw that offer out. My current Republic main was a Jedi Shadow Kinetic tank, but I've respecced to Balance DPS. Jaska is the name.
-- Acyl

Vas ist 'security key'?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:Vas ist 'security key'?
Basically, something similar to how businesses ensure that login passwords are secure.

In TOR, you can get a "security key generator". It's a unique algorithm that generates a number string unique to your device (either a key fob thingie or an app for your Android or iPhone device). You enter your username, password, and have the generator make a new security number, which you enter in whenever you login...ensuring no one can login into your account without having all three. And since the authenticator is likely to be on your person at all times...

SecKey users get special vendors that have unique stuff no one else can get, presumably because EA/Bioware are trying to avert a majority of the account piracy problems larger MMOs like WoW have had. 
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

From what I remember, The "key fob thingie" continually generates a new 8-digit random number once every minute. So even if malicious users had your account name and could theoretically brute-force your password, it would be nigh-impossible to synch up with the numbers with out the device. I can't say how the mobile apps work, but I suspect they just connect to the central database thing and just display the current iteration for your ID.

It's an extra layer of security, but is a right pain in the ass if you lose your device/phone.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

The mobile app does not connect, and thereby does not incur any data/SMS usage charges.  I've tested this on my Android phone.

It's a time-synchronized one-time password (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_p ... nchronized), just done in software rather than hardware.

If you lose your security key generator (phone or keyfob), you can go through Customer Service to get it removed from the account, which drops you back to password/security question level authentication.  So you're not out of luck forever if you drop your phone in the toilet or let the dog gnaw on your keyring.

That said, Cust. Service for TOR is a right joke at the moment, with 3-4 business days between opening a ticket and getting a form-letter response that doesn't solve the problem.  Calling in isn't much better, as EA has outsourced overseas (India, judging by the accent, but for all I know it could be Elbowinmyheadistan), and the folks you get to talk to are... less than competent, on average.  I'm assuming it'll get better as time goes by -- based on the conversation I had with one, they're temp agents staffed for the holiday season and a bit longer, to handle the initial rush.  No word on who's handling it long-term.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Okay... After hearing you all talk about this I've decided to join up for a month at least.

Where does everyone congregate?

Bergeren Colony, from what it looks like. I dunno who plays what side most, but the two are totally separated beyond PvP.
---

And I guess I should put down toons so that I can find/be found, huh?

Rep: Aminia Knight

Imp: Meranai Bounty Hunter

In all honesty our networking has been somewhat bad; this is complicated by the fact that I believe one cannot /friend another player unless they are actually online. This is likewise the case with guild invites and the like...and in any case, getting all 'Legendary' people into a guild is never going to work on SWTOR because many of us have our own groups and friends.
With that said, I believe SWTOR does have a custom chat channel system of some kind, though I've yet to suss it out myself - I have heard talk of this. So perhaps someone could set that up. A Legendary expatriate channel of some sort.
-- Acyl

There is a custom chat channel system, but it is... somewhat less than friendly.  It's per-character, as are all of your chat settings, which makes it tedious if you run multiple alts.  It also seems to be limited to server.  The chat system on the whole is a bit buggy at the moment, with random moments of not being able to see certain channels (Guild and Party seem to be the most common culprits, followed by custom ones) and user interface fails in setting up/maintaining your own custom tabs.

That said, /friend works if you're online, and I'll test it offline soon.  For guild invites, we've discovered that the slash command /ginvite works just fine, and unlike the right-click menu, does not require you to be in close proximity to the person you're inviting.

Also of particular note: if you receive mail, make absolutely sure you've retrieved all your loot from it before you delete it, because once gone it's gone and Cust. Service will *not* be able to get it back for you.  There is no warning popup if you choose to delete mail that has goodies (credits or items) attached; it just vanishes.  They're supposedly looking into fixing that, but no word on when.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I've tested out a few things for the custom channels, and have gotten one up an running: You can join the channel with the command "/cjoin Legendary" and will need to do so with all characters. You can also invite someone to the channel with "/cinvite Legendary ". The Channel will be automatically added to your first chat tab, though you can create an extra one for just that channel.

Note that while I've gotten the same name for both Imperial and Republic, the two are distinct and isolated.
---

It remains to be see if all the "TORtanic" hype is more than just fear-mongering, but it sounds like the early scuttlebutt is caused by the 1.1 patch, which has made PvP utterly unbalanced, allowing the Empire side players to utterly dominate the Republic side. The issue was so extreme that the redsiders could literally camp the bluesider spawn points and just dance all over them.
Another issue that's making the rounds is that the ability to cancel a subscription appears to have gone suspiciously walkabout on their main page. They're blaming this on a browser issue, but it's interesting that a player who posted detailed instructions about exactly where to go on the Bioware site to cancel your subscription was publicly warned about posting spam and had his thread summarily closed by the admins. There's also been cases of people who canceled their subscription, and even have that fact reflected on their account details being charged for another month anyway. Or people who never wanted to leave who've been canceled and can't reactivate their accounts.
The news coming down the pipe is that the next big patch will institute a game-wide Nerf, which will effectively de-power all classes an estimated 15-20% across the board. No word yet if this is a confirmed rumor, but if it goes through, combined with all the other problems they've been having, *and* the way they've made playing blueside essentially pointless for their PvP community (and thus creating a situation where the PvP content never actually gets used, because half the conflict isn't even bothering to play the content anymore...,)
I'm still waiting to see how it all evens out, hype notwithstanding. But the early indicators aren't promising.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I dunno about the rest of that stuff, but the PVP bug is old news, at least. It got fixed within 24 hours of being noticed. The devs made a big public post acknowledging it was an issue (notably, it was an issue on ONE PvP zone only, not the whole system) and advising people to avoid Ilum until it was fixed....which they promptly did.

No big PvP scandal here. People complain that PvP is imbalanced, but it's more "this class is the new flavor of the week" imbalance whining than anything.
---
waste."

As Yatzee put it in his TOR review. "The sun shines, grass grows, MMO players whine about PvP being unbalanced."

Also, DOOM.

What PvP? There's PvP in TOR? I've seen less of it than I have in CoX. I don't believe it exists.
---

It's this thing that pops up at level 50. Even less value in it then in CoH, in my opinion. It's a story based game, after all.

Yes there is PvP in ToR... its actually rather fun. Its silly before lvl 20. Below 49 is the another group and then you have the monsters that be 50.

Huttball is really fun. Best out of the 3. Then there is the control three gun turrets while it shoots down a ship map. And finally Voidstar.

Its a easy source of xp and credits if you're on the winning side. The xp thing can be an issue as I'm outleveling planets left, right, and center!

And everyone always picks on the lady with the long gun. But then again, I do toss flash-bangs and grenades and other nastiness out like there is no tomorrow.

Quote:What PvP? There's PvP in TOR? I've seen less of it than I have in CoX. I don't believe it exists.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.