Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: TOR Beta

The trouble with commentary of any sort is that the view from outside is very different from the view from within. If you're lacking the proper context, you're going to reach very wrong conclusions.

SWTOR PvP has serious balance problems. I agree. This is absolutely true. But complaints over PvP balance overlook the fact that SWTOR is not a PvP game. SWTOR has three 'warzones' and an open area on one planet. That's it. And let's be clear, an SWTOR warzone is just a quick instanced arena match. For many participants, PvP is simply a diversion, - discussed in largely the same terms as the space rail shooter minigame.

So claiming the "the early indicators aren't promising" for SWTOR because PvP is broken ... is like me saying the European Union's economic outlook is pessimistic because Estonia is doing badly. The claim may be completely true, but the reasoning is very suspect.

Quote:The news coming down the pipe is that the next big patch will institute a game-wide Nerf, which will effectively de-power all classes an estimated 15-20% across the board.

A couple of seconds with Google would net you the test server patch notes for 1.1.2 - the Watchman (DoT DPS) Sentinel will be very heavily buffed come live patch day, and so will the Kinetic (Tank) and Balance (DoT DPS) Shadow. Same buffs apply to the Marauder and Assassin mirror class specs, of course.

Have there been nerfs? Of course. Scoundrel/Operative burst from stealth was nerfed in 1.1.1. Are more nerfs coming? Of course. Hybrid Shadow/Assassins are being nerfed in 1.1.2. Thing is, nobody beyond the SWTOR community itself talks about the buffs. Why? Because buffs aren't newsworthy. Still, if you're only listening to the view from outside, you're getting less than half the story.

I'm also rather amused by the claim that a nerf would de-power all classes "an estimated 15-20% across the board". Because the key word is estimated. SWTOR doesn't have a combat data log in chat output. Anyone citing numbers is pulling them out of their proverbial rear end. It may be an exhaustively researched and well-argued rear end, but it's still a rear end.

The fact that SWTOR launched without a combat log should also tell you something about Bioware's priorities. Protip: it's not number crunching.
-- Acyl

Ok, so i finally cracked and picked up a copy of TOR.  I had a friend who was able to whittle me down by Explaining things, things like that get me to buy a game.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]