Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Long and Thanks for all the Heroes?

In defence of the Champions Online creator, it's not really that bad. There are enough options. It's just that most of them are gated behind C-store purchases, Gold subscriber status, or in-game unlocks. As a Gold player who's been with the game off-and-on since launch, I see a great deal more options in my creator than, say, MD sees in his.

I believe you can still preview C-store stuff you haven't actually bought, but unless an in-game unlock is also purchasable on the C-store, it's simply not going to show up in the creator at all...unless you have it. That includes quite a lot of stuff. I can't even blame them for that, particularly, since City of Heroes has pretty much done the same thing. You are pretty much screwed for face textures in CO, though, that's true...and there's only so much you can do with CO's face sliders. Star Trek Online, built on the same engine, has more detailed sliders...but then it can afford to, since due to the whole uniform thing it doesn't have much of a costume creator otherwise.

Gameplay-wise, the UI can be repositioned, but you need to go into a different mode to drag things around. Clicking does work, but you need to click on the interact dialogue box rather than the item itself. Low level combat is pretty much button mashing, but that does change as you level up, becoming increasingly complex. Of course this depends on your build. I do a little bit of UI-watching on my two 40 characters, since I need to look out for stuff coming off cooldown, and whether I've got debuff stacks or status affliction on my targets.

I honestly don't have huge complaints on either score. My main issue with Champions is the fact the content sucks. It was starting to improve last year, but now the significant story updates have dried up. Oh, yeah, content's being added, but it's not...major lore-based story content, y'know? That's why it's never going to be a replacement for City of Heroes, for me. Yeah, I'll play Champions if CoX goes poof. I'll even enjoy it. But it won't be City of Heroes.
-- Acyl

I will say one thing bout Champs and I've said it before (Spud also mentioned it) picking up objects is all to entertaining. You Feel like a mad god raining death upon your enemies if you have flight, grab somethin fly up then hurl it down upon them. Yesterday I was flying around on Terr carrying a Semi Truck+trailer and it was glorious and hilarious.

I learned that the right mouse click stands in for the Z key most of the time. The only time it has issues is when there's a physical object close enough to pick up as well, then you just get a selection screen at the bottom.
If they added their own mission creator (and since Star Trek does it, there's no reason to believe they haven't thought about it.) it would be possible to simply recreate some of the CoH themed quests within what's available.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I was out of pocket on Friday, so I missed the posting until I logged on that evening. I would have come in here and said something, but I plan on playing the everloving shit out of CoX until they take it away from me, so if you need me, that's where I'll be.
As for future plans, they will probably include Guild Wars 2, since the folks who are running that aren't to blame for getting a shit publisher like NC Soft. Plus, it's a way to keep in touch with my Dallas friends after I go to the wilds of West Virginia (they have a rather involved GW and GW2 setup that I'll be joining). As for the folks here, well I got on this forum because of DW and I'm still interested in that, but I will probably look at CO or TSW or I might go back to Rift. It's all up in the air right now for me, given my upcoming change in location.
Rest assured, though, that when I touch down, I'll be around.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I don't know what to make of this, but I think it's at least worth mentioning: DJ Shecky's CoH Rumor
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

It's worth copying a few alts over to the test server on the off chance DJ Shecky's rumor pays off.
In other news, my roommate says GW2 is superior to Rift, as it does everything that made Rift special with more development. I've seen him play a few minutes of it, and it looks nice enough.
A bit of digging earlier this week led me to an article that said that Nexxon (a major Asian MMO corporation) bought 14.7% of the stock in NCSoft in June/July. They've got a habit of taking MMO's and focusing them solely on the Asian market, to the detriment of everyone else. This out-of-the-blue move by NCSoft makes a lot more sense when viewed in that context.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

DRAG0NFLIGHT Wrote:On the CoHTitan site, Mercedes Lackey posted, to tell people she was trying to network to save CoH.
http://www.cohtitan.com/f...index.php?topic=4877.195
Which message on that page is supposed to be her?  None of them look likely.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Her handle is "Victoria Victrix" (same as one of her characters)
Here's the message copy pasted verbatim:
Quote:Hi guys, Mercedes Lackey here.  I did some serious networking at
DragonCon...I was literally JUST checked into the con hotel when I was
smashed in the face with the news.  I've hooked the one person in my
personal circle of acquaintances who may have a glimmer of pulling any
kind of save off with the City Of team and pointed him here. 
I'm
not going to blow sunshine up anyone's derriere, and I haven't got
leave to reveal who I've tapped--and don't let this derail any efforts
at coming up with an alternate PLEASE!--but just know we've got people
who will do their damndest to save Paragon again.

The one introducing itself as from Mercedes, I suspect :p

Okay, somehow my eye slid right over that. I am feeling dumb right now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

eh... It happens.
The memory and the eyesight are often the first things to go.

-Logan
--------------------
What do you mean, I'm not helping? (innocent) ^.^
--------------------

I'm running out the door on Business (Life? Who needs a Life?!? What is this strange concept you're talking about?) but not to get anyone's hopes up or anything... take a look at the various thread over at the official forums.

This area: http://boards.cityofheroe...m/forumdisplay.php?f=600

There is the master thread: http://boards.cityofheroe.../showthread.php?t=296401

And various co-ordination and call to arms threads and regular interesting updates... http://boards.cityofheroe.../showthread.php?t=296759

and some of the media is starting to come onboard from some of the threads...

As well as the various "goodbye" from the rednames...

Interesting reading.

Gotta Fly... (dang it now I'm going to be late)

Shader