Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favorite Moments
Your Favorite Moments
Let's not lose ourselves in what could have been, or how much it hurts. Well, we can do that in other threads. This is for the other side of the debate. The moments that still stand out whenever you play City of Heroes.

I first rolled Priss as a SS/Will brute, nearly 4 years ago. While Tanks never worked out for me, I had some magnificent moments on the original Street Sabre. Right from the very beginning in fact, when I skipped the Outbreak tutorial, selected Galaxy City... and loaded up right as Rikti started appearing. I didn't even have time to claim vet rewards or rearrange my power tray as Priss picked a Rikti and just started punching, stumbling into a team and thus creating her origin story in Paragon. A little while later, Ops and I met up with Atl and co in the D, promptly breaking him with Priss, Sylia and Nene, resulting in him working out Linnas costume for me.

Then there was the Positron of Hell. I remember it lasting an entire week, all us coming in every day, despite incredibly different time zones, and just fighting our way through the endless armies that only an 8-man Posi could spawn. Even now, I shudder as I remember spending two hours desperately trying to get that damn FEMA worker to stop just running in and out of the elevator, trying to survive endless waves of ghosts and Ruin Mages. At the end of the week, Street Sabre, Kara Skye, Digitalis purpurea and Sell-sword (I'm sure there were more left on the team by the end, but they're the only ones in the screenshot) went up to Positron and proceeded to beat the crap out of him with baseball bats.

[Image: screenshot_2008-06-05-19-56-58.jpg]

(Points to Sell-Sword for excellent aim.)

The first Cavern of Transcendence trial, when Alice went from just one of my characters to my main, joining the Legendary and generally getting a lot of development, both originally as Just Another Archer, and then as Purrfect Archer. It was Alice that finally got things moving for me again writing-wise, after years of not getting anything put together fictionwise. Everything that came about because of her... the RPing and story writing with Ops and Spud after they came up with Inyme and Sammy respectively, was fantastic fun. I still remember logging in to find about three more Purrfects waiting for me, and nearly died laughing. Anything with Sammy was just fantastic run. And Inyme... One of the best memories I have of this game was putting Alices Vanguard story run through on hold until the RPing between her and Inyme was in position, then putting together a team of the Legendary and RPing the story arc up to the Positron fight. At that point, my connection hiccuped, right as Ops had Inyme completely lose her shit and tear the Automation apart. RPing the scene afterwards might be my favorite RP moment in this entire game.

While speaking of players, I have to talk about Spud, Ops and Uni. Ops I've known since 2001, when we completely stole control of a forum RPG from a useless GM, and convinced the other one working on it that really, the guy had to go. (Long story involving Autobots, Decepticons, a citybot and an army of clones.). I knew Uni from the same game and forum, and more then a few interesting moments, although none quite as spectacular as the Transistor Line. I introduced them to this game, figuring they'd enjoy it, and by God was I right. It turned out I'd actually known Spud years before, as the owner of a website where I posted a few fics, but for the first few months neither of us made the connection to the names. I brought it up one time, and we had a laugh about how it was a small world. From there, Spud grew into one of the best friends I've ever had. More then that, his friendship with Ops is one of the best things in my life, as it led to OM moving across the country, within a few hours of Uni, who he'd been long-distance dating for years. Last April, I finally got to meet all of them in person as Ops and Uni were married, which I have to rank as one of the greatest moments in my life.

Tiny Terr, before Adjustable height.

Rain of Arrows. Just... Rain of Arrows. Bonus points when teamed up with old Bill.

Warriorgeddon!

GET NAKED! FIGHT CRIME!

[Image: screenshot_2008-07-05-01-03-16.jpg]
Clearly, advanced Rikti technology. 

[Image: screenshot_2008-07-25-15-02-17.jpg]
Oh, like you've never tried it?

Faathim the Kind Task Force. The one time we've seriously tried Shadow Shard content, at least in my experience, and god was it hell. There's a part of me wondering about Quarterfield before it ends... my sanity shoots it down. HARD Smile

The first time I used the self-destruct power. SO GLORIOUS.

Saving Statesman from Tyrant and getting to sit on Emperor Coles throne.

Ice-skating in Frostfires lair.

My first Paragon Haloween and Christmas.

The increasingly crazy ragdoll animations, that have only gotten even more hilarious every time the physics were tweaked.

Perhaps a rather sad one, given what's coming, but the end of Galaxy City. Dozens, maybe hundreds of players, all gathering in Galaxy City, holding a torchlight vigil and waiting for the meteors to fall. And then Street Justice was released a few weeks later, and Priss was rerolled properly at last. "SON OF A BITCH! AGAIN?!"

Quote:There's a part of me wondering about Quarterfield before it ends... my sanity shoots it down. HARD Smile
As my personal recent experience attests, Shadow Shard TFs go much faster and smoother with mission teleports, Assemble the Team, and the Team Transport plane. I did a Quarterfield a few weeks back in just a couple hours.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

REALLY?
Well what are we waiting for, then? (And I was just about to post on a similar idea in a new thread, so look for me to continue this idea there momentarily.)
I do indeed intend to share you you guys some of my memories.
I want to do so in many cases with screenshots. My screenshot folder is INSANELY HUGE.
The trick is going to be finding the right screens to pull to show off, because in many cases, what I did was - I knew a good moment was coming up in the next few seconds and I'd just mash on the Print Screen button as much as I could (while not throwing off my button pressing with my powers and such).  Kind of like how a professional sport photographer will snap 5-10 shots of the same moment in rapid succession and hope he got at least one good one in the bunch. Same concept.
So I've got LOTs of duplicates. In some cases, like the end of certain task forces with the end boss fights, what I've got is almost a short stutterframe movie!