Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DCUO first impressions
DCUO first impressions
I've always been a "have to see it for myself" kind of person. So I loaded up DCUO last week, and started in on character creation. I've also found that you can't really judge these games until you get to the "premium" level, which is to say, you've dropped more than $5 on the game, and thus unlocked most of the commonly-used options. So I picked up the Green Lantern DLC, and built on that.
The character I built is basically a kind of homage to the Animated series. A kind of what-if, exploring what you'd get if the Star Sapphires built their own version of Aya, the AI nav computer which developed personality, and eventually wound up in a rocky relationship with the Red Lantern, Razor. I went in, knowing that a lot of people and reviewers have panned it over the last few years, and that it's got a more console-y feel than other games.
My impressions so far are that it isn't that bad. They've made some good choices for the VA's. They clearly drive this offering. Adam Baldwin as Superman, Kevin Conroy as Batman... Those two have pretty much clinched their respective characters for the last while, and using them has really driven the feel that the player is in an extended Justice League episode. I haven't heard enough of the Wonder Woman VA in the past to know if it's the same woman, but I suspect it is. She plays the character well, although I did sometimes feel like she talks like she's got a steel rod shoved up her backside. She needs to loosen up a little.
I just recently finished a Titans storyline, involving the summoning of Trigon. They didn't used any of the Teen Titans VA's from the cartoon, which would have sold it for me, but that aside, the characterization was pretty good. Although the latest rendition of Starfire is somewhat more adult, they don't have her parading around in the thong and a smile she was wearing for a while in the past.
On a character creation note, I recall somewhere that the options for defining character looks were limited, and while they weren't as massive as CoX, they weren't bad, either. The three-color setup is a tad annoying, but it also prevents garish color nightmares I've seen. It also prevents unfortunately the kind of character I saw once upon a time in CoX named "Cuppycake Gumdrop." An inspired rainbow-colored sprite who flew in a dazzle of rainbow light. I don't know how many creative substances her creator had taken before making the character, but it was truly a work of art. I'm not sure if DCUO would allow a creation that inspired.
I'm still in the mid-teens, so nowhere near level cap. I like the power selections, which although cater to the console control scheme, are fluid enough with a mouse that I can chain attacks fairly effectively. The Lantern powers are varied, and allow me to tailor a character with Lantern powers as I like, without feeling like I'm being railroaded into specific power choices. The ability to pick up "iconic" abilities and tack on abilities used by heroes across the DC spectrum to my build is nice. It lets me add a few abilities not commonly found in the standard build. I picked up a GL-based shield early on using Iconic powers. When I level up enough to get the shield through the GL powers list, I'll respec and drop that in favor of something else.
That's something else I liked, actually. Respeccing is fairly cheap, game-wise. So far, anyway. I have no idea if the costs can eventually rise to the point where a premium player couldn't actually cover the cost without paying a subscription fee. I'll have to discover that along the way. But in-game currency is common enough if I spend wisely that I can always make enough to cover my needs.
So far, I'm actually moderately impressed with what I see. I may pony up for the Lair option, and see what a personal fortress looks like when tricked out. I like the fact that these lairs offer special bonuses to people who invest in building them up. Everything from stat boosts to the ability to call in an orbital strike. Plus henchmen on command, and the ability to summon a sidekick. I'm probably going to enjoy exploring that one.
So, all that said, is there anyone else here who also plays in that game? I wouldn't mind seeing what teaming looks like in-game, if there's others.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

For certain values of play that include "I have it installed and played it a few months ago" I do play... From my experience the Teaming looks pretty much like soloing, only there's this guy following you around all the time, and might even be doing the same stuff. Don't even start on the chat system...
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I have the game installed and was playing it pretty regularly up last summer. Then the business with COH started and I kinda dropped everything I was doing to wrap up various things in COH before the close date. I've been picking back up on things slowly since then. Getting back into CO and STO. But DCUO kinda fell by the wayside. I did like the game though. 
So if there's more people interested, we could team or even form a small League if you like. 

Yeah - the chat system is... clumsy. But it works during non-combat time well enough. For SERIOUS teaming though, like an end game raid? I do recommend a voice chat option - just don't use the one in the game. Use teamspeak, vent, or skype. 

There's also no "global" names. So you have to go by characters only. 

My 2 mains so far are Atlantea and Chrome Seraph. I also have a GL named Katsumi Lee. A couple of other characters I've experimented with like a speedster (love the running on water and up walls bit) and a gadgets based villain. But to meet in-game I'd choose the first two. 

Rand I and have played quite a bit and have a small League started for anyone interested; Eternal Defenders.

Getting League names in the game is a little tough with some odd name restrictions in the game.

But, if I can coordinate with folks, I can get people into it if you like.

My only character at the moment is Saffira Aya, the Star Sapphire GL. I'd love it if I could recolor the ring glow, but I guess that's not an option. Tongue
---

Well that's 4 of us. Anybody else we know in the forum group play DCUO?

Are there times I'd be more likely to run into someone? A little coordination might help us team up, and prevent us from all logging in at different times. Smile
---

I can try to be on tomorrow at least to coordinate with one person so we can get folks into the group

Were you on yesterday? I logged on a few times, and played a bit, but didn't see anyone.
Is there a time I should aim for which is better for other players? I did a bit of teaming with a random stranger yesterday, and while it was pretty much like Ankh described it, I imagine it would be a bit more immersive if I was gaming with people I know. Smile
I do like the respec system in DCUO, which resets the cost to $500 in-game currency every 24 hours. So it's actually extremely viable to experiment with various power combinations until I find one that works for me. I like that detail a lot.
---

Sorry. I got hit with a Reality Hammer that pretty much eff'd my entire day.

Normally, for the rest of the week, I work evenings. What times are you usually on?

I've been hit by a reality hammer that pretty much has screwed my entire MONTH and continues to do so. (See post in general in regards to my dad) 
If you guys decide on some kind of vague time to get together I can try to be there. But no guarantees. 

Heh. I usually focus on evenings for MMO's, so that I don't develop "WoW addiction". I can try to be online at other times to meet up, but I won't stay on for long.
---

I want to like DCUO, despite my raging anger at how it handles character customisation. I've not found a powerset/concept that felt right, though. Didn't enjoy gadgets and psi as much as I'd hoped.

I was actually looking to Green Lantern energy or Lightning as potentially the thing I'd stick with. So here I am going 'HERE, TAKE MY MONEY', and DCUO's going 'lolnope, declined'. I've got credit cards from two different countries and a PayPal, and still no dice.So I sort of gave up, after that. There's only so much a man can do.
-- Acyl

Heh. Tie a credit card to your paypal account. Then try to pay with Paypal... BUT! when it comes up, there's an option to change the account you're paying with. So instead of paying with the regular Paypal account you select your credit card instead. Voila! Works every time.
---

OK, so I've had some bad timing with getting folks together. I'lll try and add someone to my friends list on new fun toon, Arctouros, and keep an eye out for when y'all log on.