Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rift Goes Free to Play
Rift Goes Free to Play
Well, if anyone was waiting to try the game out, seems like a good time is just around the corner.
http://community.riftgame.com/en/2013/0 ... e-to-play/

BTW, if anyone wants to give it a go and is looking for those of us who play, we're on Faeblight Server and we can get you into our guild (The Dal Riata).  I'm making my way back onto Rift as I make my circuit of MMOs.

I've been wondering where you people were.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

The Dal Riata? I sense Lost Girl fans in the room. Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote:Baseload wrote:
BTW, if anyone wants to give it a go and is looking for those of us who play, we're on Faeblight Server and we can get you into our guild (The Dal Riata).  I'm making my way back onto Rift as I make my circuit of MMOs.
Guardians or Defiant?
And I suppose I should apply the CE code I bought on a Steam sale years ago... lol
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Well guilds are cross faction now. But the primary faction base is Defiant. If you want in, either look for Ankh or post your toon's name here and I can in-game mail you sn invite.

Snd yeah, LG was part of the inspiration for taking the guild name, but I Googled the name and it apparently was a lost tribe in Ireland. Thought it was kind of cool

Quote:Baseload wrote:
Well guilds are cross faction now. But the primary faction base is Defiant. If you want in, either look for Ankh or post your toon's name here and I can in-game mail you sn invite.

Snd yeah, LG was part of the inspiration for taking the guild name, but I Googled the name and it apparently was a lost tribe in Ireland. Thought it was kind of cool
Probably will post Anime Boston, too many other things going on ATM. And good for Defiant. Good side is dumb lol
- Clow Reed

I moved my rogue-ish person I had made during one of the free weekends over to that server - name is Vitachan
- Clow Reed

I'm real short of free time, but I recall liking the soul and role-switching system from messing with it a little during beta. Now it's F2P, I guess there's absolutely no harm checking it out sometime down the line.
-- Acyl

Well, the one thing Base forgets is that there is a Guild Finder in game that will allow you to Apply to guilds via ingame emails and such.  So if you keep missing Base, Ankh, or myself you can use that get in contact with us.
Just toss our guild in there and away you go.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
our glory will prevail

I fully admit it's been a long time since I've played Rift, the friend from work I played it with originally went back to playing WoW and I wasn't enjoying it as much completely solo, so I shut down my subscription. The whole free-to-play aspect has really piqued my interest though and I'm thinking of downloading it and trying it again. If it's Free-to-play done right (Hi TSW!) I may play it when I need a change of pace, but there's also free-to-play done wrong (Hi TOR!) so I'll give it a shot and see.

It's been well over a year since I've last played, so I'll probably be rolling up a new character because I don't have any characters on Faeblight.

I played the Beta and the friend who got me into the game sort of left back to another game a couple of months in, so that's kind of my story too. 
It is a GORGEOUS game. Absolutely fantastic looking. Right up there with GW2. And the face and body customization options are perhaps even better. 

I like how - from the very start - the entire PREMISE of all the player characters is that we're all bad-ass epic warrier souls returned specifically to do battle with the ultimate evil. And even the tutorial feels epic on that scale. 

Well, I created a test character based on Hinoto for the Guardian side of things. It sort of fits. Smile I sent an email to whoever manages the Dal.
I've never been a fan of the WoW grindfest mindset, so I'll likely only be on to team with people. If there's better times to do that, what would they be?
---

Well, i tend to be on most nights now.  The buzz of Space Drow has left me for yearning of Telara.  Base is primarily Sunday/Monday right now cause of his work sched.Ankh i'm not sure about.And the rest of our resident guildies have moved on to other things.  Though we might get them back when F2P launches.
You'll tend to see me on either Kethatril, my 58 Cleric.  Kaervalis, my 40 Mage, or Kirais my 24 Rogue.
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

Quote:DRAG0NFLIGHT wrote:
Well, I created a test character based on Hinoto for the Guardian side of things. It sort of fits. Smile I sent an email to whoever manages the Dal.
I've never been a fan of the WoW grindfest mindset, so I'll likely only be on to team with people. If there's better times to do that, what would they be?
I'll check  my ingame mail for the request.  Look for a reply from Caydan

Due to my new work schedule, my game time tends to be either in the morning before 10 CST or in the late evenings after 10 CST. But, Given my Altitis, I can be found on several toons:

Caydan (51 Rogue - Defiant)
Adaliah (40+ Cleric - Defiant)
Titaya (51 Mage - Defiant)
Rhydderch (17 Warrior - Defiant)
Sulamai (41 Mage - Guardian)
Bhaelen (17+ Rogue - Guardian)

But, given that guilds are now cross faction, all of them are in the Dal.

Also, I'm working on re-revamping the guildportal page I started for the guild some time ago. I got a little disheartened working on it when GP had some sort of glitch and all the work Ihad done was wiped out (Not their fault, but still a pain). It'll be @ dalriata.guildportal.com

I check in there occasionally, though I don't solo much o.o Typical hours, for the summer, are evenings. 7-11 EST.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

Added a second character, on the Defiant side. I sent an email to the Dal. And yes, if anyone's curious, "Kuraijonetsu", or "Dark Passion" is basically a port of an Exalted Abyssal Knight I built for Epsilon's game about a year ago. In that game, she was basically "dark comic relief." She had Exalted in that city where everyone is geased to follow the leader's orders, in the middle of High Mass, in the main temple. Everyone in sight was ordered to kill her, so she didn't live long. Since she Exalted out of a belief that this kind of mind control was wrong, and the Unconquered Sun was wrong to allow it, she personally believed he Exalted her specifically to punish her for her line of thought. She was offered a chance to "make him pay" by the Abyssal Primevals.
Of course, he really had no control over the process, and as a result, whenever the Unconquered Sun gave gifts of power to the PC's, he also gave them to her, which both confused and angered her further. She was a fun character to play. I didn't take her too seriously, no matter how she acted in-game. Every now and then, she did something obnoxiously visible, just to add to the comic value of the character. (Summoning a giant skeletal "hand" chair in a human city just to establish her bona fides, or using Irresistible Succubus Style to offer herself as a one-night prize to the last soldier standing in a whole fort full of Dragonborn the PC's had to get past. He got lucky, too. Although I think he killed himself in shame the next morning...)
Meanwhile, it's interesting that the "dark" side in Rift isn't really about being evil, this time. It's about a group of people who are all that's left of the whole world, who lost the war against Regulos, and attempted to send someone back in time. If the Guardians worked the stick out of their butts, they might realize everyone's on the same side.
Of course, if they did, I think the line from Joker in ME2 sums it up. "It's nice to see Garrus work that stick out of his butt, but now he's trying to beat people to death with it. I can't believe I like the old Garrus better..."
---

Well, actually, they kinda did.  Before Storm Legion launched there were a few quests that had you dealing with the opposing faction right at the beginning at the bridge by the starting area.  Also, the Guardian starting area where the Wanton mobs are right out of the tutorial used to be all Defiant.
I think that is a small mod they did when they gave the Main 2 zones (Freemarch and Silverwood) a better flow to the questlines.  The other zones still have the hate though, or as far as I have seen. 
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

Neither side is entirely correct. The Guardians are self-righteous, arrogant pricks who believe (and are justified, to a certain extent) that belief in the Vigil and the Ascended is all that is required to triumph. They outlawed magitech because that is what started the Mathosian Civil War (i.e. the Guardian Tut zone) and see anyone who deviates from their view as a heretic and are usually punished. Defiants, on the other hand, were founded by the person that was instrumental in Regulos' (partial) release, so they have reason to be distrusted. While they are generally good people, just trying to carve out a life for themselves, they are rather prone to mad and/or callous experimentation, and they don't really care to compromise with the Guardians on their practices. In fact, they take pride in spurning the Vigil and making gadgets and gizmos to do everything.

With Storm Legion, things are kinda finding a middle ground. The zones that I've seen demonstrate how magitech can be used in a pious and wholesome manner, and that faith alone isn't always enough. The main city is also Co-op.
---

And with the Free-2-Play in less than 2 weeks, Trion has opened the Pay Store on Public Test.After looking  around, i can admit... Nothing really breaking in there at launch.  I think the most "Breaking" is well, you can use the Pay Currency (Credits) to purchase endgame mounts at a pretty cheap rate.  Well, cheap as in you would pay roughly 5 bucks for an ingame lvl 60 mount (provided you can use it, otherwise your buying for the future.)That same mount would run you 1,000 Platinum in game, which is a metric ton of farming.Also, The Credits can be sold/gifted to other players if you purchase that option.  Called Rex.
its got a lot of what i figured, Player Homes and other stuff.  Lots of Wardrobe overlays.  All in all, there is very little pay to win in there.
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

Quote:Ankhani wrote:
With Storm Legion, things are kinda finding a middle ground. The zones that I've seen demonstrate how magitech can be used in a pious and wholesome manner, and that faith alone isn't always enough. The main city is also Co-op.
Plus it's kind of a matter of "need to work together just to prevent any unexpected turns". Crucia's probably the most dangerous of the Bloodstorm given her tactics are far more subtle than the others. When you're looking for mind-controlled Storm Legion infiltrators, it's a lot easier if you don't have to worry about perfectly normal Defiant infiltrators that are fighting her too. So the exchange of information is probably as much a pragmatic choice as it is one that's been demonstrated via the effectiveness of cooperation.
*doesn't actually play Rift but digs the hell out of the setting*
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

*insert phrase stating you should but knowing you have more things to do than play another mmo*
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

So, I got to check out the new store on the PTS and I am excited as they are releasing faction changing items.

WOOT! Bhaelen Burlybeard can finally vist Meridian proper

Apparently, I completely forgot how to play my class >_>
- Clow Reed