Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I started playing Champions Online...

Imageshack is now behaving again, so, pictures! Yay? I don't know if these will be readable if imported into your screenshots folder; ImageShack may be stripping whatever it is the character creator hides the part information in.

first, since it's the top contender for my main char at the moment, male and female versions of the magenta armor:
[Image: costumeczlyydwrmagentaa.jpg] [Image: costumeczlyydwrmagentaa.jpg]

Alternate heads... I like the eyes-in-black-band effect, but the plain helmets may balance that out. Feedback appreciated.
[Image: costumesiglenmagentaarm.jpg] [Image: costumesiglenfemagentaa.jpg]

The boots will be the ones from the other set, but I'm leaning most strongly to the white-mouthplate verison above otherwise, and probably female since as a player you spend time staring at their butt, not the cool chestplate, and dude's butts just hold no attraction for me.

Alternate non-PA female costume, mostly the same color scheme:
[Image: costumeczlyydwrmagentau.jpg]

Alternate male costume, rather different color scheme:
[Image: costumesiglencoloneldru.jpg]
(Did I mention the random lols?)

Remedy:
[Image: costumesiglenremedyccco.jpg]
(will probably not use that backpack) Remedy's look is based on a character I made for Allods before discovering that PvP was mandatory (as in, there are plot missions that require it, and entire regions where opponent-faction players can use an item that turns on your PK flag and keeps it from being turned off for a few minutes - this really pissed me off, because I LIKE the visuals and classes of that game, and had met a good group of players, but consider PvP to be the anti-fun) though that character was a summoner rather than a healer. With Inventor being a cash shop archetype, however, that path is closed.

Czyyk'thzz:
[Image: thzzcccomicpageblue4237.jpg]

Crimson Crescent:
[Image: costumeczlyydwrcrimcres.jpg]
(will not use, hate having no ranged attacks)

Steamgunner:
[Image: costumesiglensteamgunne.jpg]
(will not use, hate the slower-than-snails attack warmup)

Hideouts are definitely cool - I was already planning to set one up as soon as it became practical.

Terr, if you're willing, I'm certainly not going to turn you down! I'm going to play around with the character creator some more before making final decisions and starting "for real" @danzaiverwhite, because characters created before you finish the tutorial mission get a second costume slot free, while after talking to a tailor you unlock all the free costume parts to play with, and even though they're hidden in the tailor interface you can load the costume just fine from screenshots... archetype for the second character is kind of up in the air too, I liked ice tank but word here is it's a subpar build, I don't like the Unleashed and Soldier, not interested in Archer, flame guy is obvious glass cannon and not that interesting to begin with aside from visual design of the default outfit, mentalist is crowd controller and I suck with those, Grimoire is only so-so according to the commentary. Meh, I'll probably go with the latter anyway, or Glacier despite its flaws because Czyyk'thzz amuses me greatly.

ETA: Has someone been giving me stuff? I just logged on @siglen and there's a bunch of cash shop parts it now says I own... O_O
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I know I havn't given anything yet. Anyways you should look up the different styles of Grav bike (keep in mind you can't edit the colors so pick one that will be good enough for you) And give me a list of a couple in order of preference and I'll see what I can cobble together.

I've only managed to see one in game, the Eagle. It's white, which goes with most things, but from what I understand it's about the bottom-tier one...

(googles)

Okay, it's about midrank. Looking at the images in the gallery, there's two designs, and one is ugly with a capital OOGALAY - naturally, it's the model they chose for the top rank bike. D'oh.

Ugly, weak to strong:
Wasp
Copperhead
Diamondback
Widow

Sleek, weak to strong (mod slots are weapons, support, defense, in order):
Raptor - 2/1/1 Why did they make the black w/gold trim one the worst? Why? It's the coolest looking on its own.
Talon - 2/1/2 It's brown. Very... brown. The mustard trim only makes it a bit better.
Eagle - 2/1/2 White with gold and black - goes with even more than the Raptor.
Hawk - 4/2/2 Even browner. Too bad you mainly get mods from lockboxes (as I understand it) which cost money to buy keys.

They all have the same base attack/defense/speed from what's listed in the post I'm looking at. It's a shame you can't adjust the colors, what genius thought that up? I saw some screen shots of an eye-searingly magenta raptor-class bike that would have been perfect, perfect I say. Ah well... To answer your question, I say for looks the Eagle, for mod slots the Hawk. Given that the Eagle can be bought outright in the cash shop, it'll probably be easier to find.

As for the mysteriously appearing costume parts (High Tech, Tesla armor, and Cyborg Beast being the ones I was excited about, but Samurai, some insignia, tights and cape patterns, and the Halloween pack too) apparently you get those for free when you make your first post on the game's player forum. This is something it would be handy to be told, rather than having to just kind of discover after the fact, kind of like the thing with the free second costume slot for characters made before you complete the tutorial. The only bad part is that with even more costume options, only having one and two halves classes I actually want to play and firm design choices for each of those becomes really annoying.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

... annnd now the extra parts are gone again. Strange. Maybe it was a limited time deal or something? That makes me sad.
--

Just a quick note, you have limited parts at character creation on a new account but many pieces open up once you've made a character and got out of the tutorial if memory serves me right.

You have to be up to level 10 on your first character IIRC. But after that, any new character is not limited. 
Basically the idea is - make a temp character - even just accept the default costume design for the AT you're trying out. Name the character "TESTMAN" or something - do the tutorial and then get him leveled in westside up to lvl 10. Go make a new character that'll be your REAL first character. SKIP the tutorial because now you never have to do it again (unless you want to). Put them in the powerhouse. Log out and delete the test character so that you have room for an alt. Log in with new character and have fun!

And yes - there is ZERO documentation on this and it is STUPID not to have it. It's caused Champions way too many problems because people think the costume creator is more limited than it really is. Even a straight silver character, once the basic options are unlocked, can do a LOT. 

Actually, it's just finishing the tutorial that unlocks all the free parts, though you have to log out and back in for it to take effect. I know this, because I've never gotten a character to Lv10, but have all tjhe free parts for those characters anyway. I think the ones that appear and dissappear, are unlocked the first time you log in after posting in the forums, thn lock back up when you log out - so I lost them when I switched accounts trying to figure out how I got them, most likely (facepalm.)

Which means.... I must create yet another account! (Don't tell anybody!) Because with glowing blue or purple bits, a few Tesla Coil parts are just too compelling for the Glacier and Grimoir ATs, and the Cyborg Monster overall looks great for a Tank like Glacier is sorta supposed to be. Which mens I probably will end pu with two Radiants on @danzaiverwhite, so I can use both the magenta armor design and
[Image: costumesiglendanzaiverw.jpg]
Danzai White. What, the parts were there, and with the Eagle gravbike in the game (definitely go for the Eagle if you haven't already bid on a Hawk, Terr) I just couldn't resist. I'll probably at least try to get a reasonable Daisuke-in-uniform made instead of Colonel Wingtips for his second costume, though.
--

Eagle? Alright I'll see what I can dig up.
Edit:So Will you be wanting the bike for your @danzaiverwhite account? I just want to double check to be sure.

Yes, the Eagle will be standing in for the Phoenix Rider (poor DanPhoenix - he put so much energy into healing Daisuke without the Racer's medbay and Cybertronian repaireons available, he had to abandon all his frames except the bike) so it'll go to @danzaiverwhite, where all the parts are free.

(has the mental image of a cyberdecking activist with a guy fawkes mask on his avatar, blowing open the gates of the datafortress and letting costume part data loose into cyberspace. "Be free, little parts! Spread to every corner of the interweb!")

I haven't actually created the characters there yet, though. Yes, I'm still fooling around with the designs I want to use.

I did manage to get a face that looks fairly well like Kengo Okuchi, the actor I picked as Dai's face for live action, but this game super duper fails at military and pseudo-military jackets, so this was the best I could manage for his unarmored outfit:
[Image: costumesiglendrdaisukek.jpg]
The ways in which it is wrong are myriad; about the only thing that's right is the dark grey pants and black shoes, and the overall white jacket with a grey collar.
--

Well, I have finally stopped messing around with the costume creator and begun playing; "Danzaiver White@danzaiverwhite" are now as live as video game characters get. I'm holding off on the ice-tank-in-another-new account-for-the-forum-post-bonus-parts character for now.
--