Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City of Titans Kickstarter

I don't know how many folks have been following this, but Missing Worlds Media - a group of former City of Heroes players - has launched their kickstarter for a community-created successor MMO. They aim to put out something playable in 2015. This was previously called the Phoenix Project, if you were tracking that.

Article: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/09/phoeni ... -to-launch

Now, I'm not getting my hopes up too far - I can't fault their enthusiasm, but I'm not sure how much technical capacity or bandwidth the team has. This is ultimately a fan project. But it is a labour of love, and even if I have my doubts, I'll probably toss at least a little bit of funding their way.
-- Acyl

I just checked, and as of about 1:45, they were up to $100K. Considering they just put it up today, that's kind of encouraging.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

They're up to $161,767 at the time of writing, with 1,152 backers. There do seem to be a considerable number of people going for the big-ticket pledge tiers or pledging for add-ons.
Notably, Melissa Bianco (War Witch) and Matt Miller (Positron) have pledged.
-- Acyl

Wow! That's awesome! 
I don't think I can scrape together anything but the most meager of offerings, but I'll see about sending along what I can. 

I know a few of the people involved. They are pros. This is not just a fan effort, I can assure you of their dedication and capability.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Just a random update. City of Titans is funded at 328k of 320 goal as of this post. With 27 days left on the kickstarter things are lookin up for stretch goals.

Even if they don't make any stretch goals, I'm just glad it got funded.
---

They've actually already hit one (which wasn't far above the initial goal, admittedly).

I kind of like having android come in line ahead of iOS.

-Morgan.

Well, it also makes practical sense. If they create an iOS application for the character modeler, it means they have the back end for the game built into it, so it's just another step beyond that to build the game client. I suspect the $50-$100K price tag reflects the cost of hiring a couple of full-time Mac developers to port their work into the different operating system. That would require a more dedicated effort, since it would almost be a case of parallel development.
---

City of Titans has been funded at 678,189/320,000, lookin forward to seeing what the future brings.

I chipped in as well. And I too wish them luck. 
Just goes to show that there's a real audience and community that is needing something like this. And the other two superhero games really aren't getting the job done in the way that COH was. 

I didn't chip in myself, mostly because I've already put a good deal into another Kickstarter this year and they seemed well on the way to over-funding by the time I saw this. But I look forward to seeing what they can do. I don't know if they'll manage everything they've been describing in the entries, as it seems really ambitious, but if they even accomplish parity with the game they're wanting to be the successor to, it'd be a definite windfall.

So we'll see what we see. I remain optimistic.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

I didn't chip in as much as I wanted to, sheerly out of lack of cash (if it'd been one week longer I'd've been golden, sigh...) but I fully encourage and support the effort.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.