Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing this board?
Closing this board?
Okay, folks, it's been more than a year since NCSoft killed COH, and it seems to me the effort to make this area a generic on-line gaming discussion zone has more or less petered out.  I'm seriously considering shuttering this board.  Yeah, I know, I've got boards in place here which haven't had any new posts since something like 2003.  But if we're going to have a generic gaming forum, I'm thinking we might as well start fresh.  Carry over those few threads here which still have some life, and say goodbye to the rest.
Thoughts, comments, objections?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There's a certain degree of nostalgia to keeping it open... and we'd eventually have to have a new one anyway once City of Titans opens.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I'd suggest possibly putting this in an archived state of some sort? I know there's a few things in here that I don't know exist anywhere else (pretty much any fanfic I haven't written myself, and at least a few snippets I literally just typed into the post field rather than start elsewhere and copy/paste). The forum probably isn't going to get any new activity, but folks will probably want to go back and bathe in the nostalgia occasionally.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

I'd add my vote for archiving it. I know I've gone browsing on occasion, and not always for the fanfic. Move it out of the active forums list perhaps?

Add me in for the 'archive it' crowd. I also like hunting around for fanfics here and the occasional thread that interested me.

Yeah - don't get rid of it. But an archive would be good. 

Lets throw one more into the Archive vote.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]

Add another for Archiving. City of Titans will be out in a year or two, and I foresee a 'few' of us trying that for at least a little bit.

Okay, let me see what I can do about turning it into an archive. Maybe I can make the whole thing read-only...
-- Bob
---------

Guess I should repost my STO fic over in the fanfic forum Smile

If you were to go and delete all the fiction, I'd definitely find a way to haunt you without being dead. And a lot of the other stuff is still fun too, even if it's just nostalgia...

For that matter, I still have story ideas I'd like to get written, and I'd rather have them all in one place. I'm just not sure why this is necessary at all?

-Morgan.

It's probably not, Morgan. I just felt like it was turning into a ghost town, is all.
-- Bob
---------

Honestly, if this board being open isn't causing a significant system or financial drain, I'd say leave it open. Odds are if City of Titans takes off, we'll need a board for it anyway, and there's above mentioned reasons by Morganni to leave it open in case someone has CoX related stuff they want to post where people would appreciate it.

Effectively, it's not hurting anyone, so why evict it?
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

True enough, on both counts. And no, it doesn't cost me money to keep it open (except, of course, in terms of the page views I pay for in bulk).
-- Bob
---------