Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messing around in Champions Online, take two
Messing around in Champions Online, take two
Note, despite the next two paragraphs, there is something to this beyond just stroking i- my dog and gloating over making some cool character designs here.

So, with a w7 computer live again, I've been messing around some more. I've forgotten how to log in to the account that was going to be my "final revision" before (and the email address associated with it, for that matter) but considering I just spent the last two days poking and tweaking new hotness (or coldness, for the one intended as a Glacier AT) in the character editor and the generally unsatisfying rendition of Danzai White the other attempt had produced, I probably would have gone for something new anyway. What I have is actually two variations on the "fully robotic" theme, a pint-sized feminine one that uses the free Art Deco patterned pieces (Armored Half or something like that, and the Armored Inner Scalloped bracers) and matches them as best it can (Tech Arc shoulder pads, Bolted Armor arm & leg acc with the Banded pattern, the Fancy Cowboy Shirt torso pattern with the colors set to match the deco pattern on the chest plate where it's exposed at the waist) and playing with the size sliders (Legs, Lower Leg, Feet all the way down, Upper Leg all the way up) to turn the Armored Mech legs (the free ones, not the Sakura Mecha ones) slim enough to fit in with the general design, given the sharply limited selection of free foot and boot parts. That one I've got a finalized name for - Core Zero, to go with the Glacier ice powers and being a half-scale prototype sloppily built as the heroes were one her maker's trail, who didn't finish the bootstrapping process until they'd busted down the door and taken him away. Since the enforced loyalty programming was part of the heavily glitched stuff she'd had to prune to get a Safe Mode stable enough to work on the rest from and were not replaced, with severely underperforming hardware (AKA being a Lv1 character) due to the rush job in dire need of upgrade and applicable skills limited to super-combat, she signed up with the Champions instead.

The second design, I have much less of a grasp of aside from the visual design and archetype I'll be using (Radiant) - not even a name, since Magenta Avenger is fairly well linked to a different (all-meat human) one in my mind. I might still use her, actually, rather than the second robot. (As an aside, yes, I prefer female game characters despite - actually, because of - being a guy myelf. If I'm going to watch someone's ass for hours as they run around doing things, I prefer it to be a shapely one) Both use the same (or nearly so) color scheme, in fact, but the healbot built with female costume parts isn't as good as the "male" one, due to the preferred chest armor and belt items being male-only. Grr. And the alternate colors I gave the male bot to test out the fire-blaster AT look damn good, too, but don't really suit a Radiant.

That's all well and good, of course, but what I'm actually asking about is, A) are people here still playing CO a lot, given that the subforum doesn't see much activity?

B) I'm not TOTALLY married to the Radiant as a character - The Grimoire has healing at later levels too, and might be a bit tougher (A build like the Glacier but with the Radiant's attacks rather than being an ice blaster would be ideal, but I'm not about to pony up $50 for a free-form slot - if I had money to spend on video games, I wouldn't be playing an MMO) but upper level stuff there seems like it's a lot of field control specialty, the kind of thing that takes the right situation (while in a party) and at least a bit of strategic skill to get the most use out of, like D&D Bards in a way. Though the "circle of auto-revive" is mighty attractive, as I prefer to solo, unless I've gotten them mixed up since I'm not looking at the list right now and that's a Radiant power instead. Self-healing and especially a self-revive is critical if you;re wandering into villainous hideouts solo. CO is one of the most forgiving games I've seen about getting killed, as befits the genre, but it's still a pain in the tuchus, and the ability to function as a party member is important for group quests as well.

C) There's some time before it has to be chosen, but which of the "choose one at Lv17(ish)" powers is better, for the Glacier and Radiant? I'm leaning toward the one that inflicts Incapacitated rather than Paralysis for the Radiant, because it doesn't get weakened by damage inflicted, but have no real idea for the Glacier's options.

D) Any suggestions for names? Please? "Medic-Droid WEG-D6" is the best I have otherwise. I suppose I could reassign "Remedy" - that's another one strongly liked to a different character in my mind, even if I'm not going to use her for sure. Don't want to, though, any more than with Magenta Avenger.

E) Are there Auras available without spending RL money on them, or, worse, on lockbox keys? I'd like a "white mist" with or without snowflakes for Core Zero at some point, though it's not critical. If all else fails I suppose there's always Questionite farming and buying Zen with it at the in-game exchange, though that's a long row to hoe and I'd rather like to get the Legacy Armor costume pack to fill out the Art Deco theme a bit more first - it's a visual style I very much like, plus, you know, glowy lines are cool.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Having the powers lists open on the other laptop, it looks like almost all the things I'd been thinking were Grimoire powers are actually more of the Radiant's set, at higher levels. Not unexpected if mt memory is unreliable, in that respect. I decided to bite the bullet and hijack Remedy for a name, as well, though I'm still waffling back and forth over whether to use the one built from male or female costume parts, and two slight variations of body style for the female model. I'll probably go for the one with more glowing lines Big Grin In the meantime, I have a couple other ideas I want to explore for different visual designs entirely.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows