Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets get some more art in here, shall we?
Lets get some more art in here, shall we?
Got a commission of another of my STO captains from Ian Samson, and I'm very pleased with the end result. Meet Captain Mika Ito of Starfleet and Captain Aphrodite, mercenary captain under contract with the Klingon Defence Force.
[Image: CMSN%20Mikadite%20Color_hr.jpg]

Heh. I like the cartoony style of this. Nice work.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I don't do Trek Online but...
[Image: 8f836f3a1cd699ef0d1f8f3a540237b5c2099477.jpg]

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Got a commission of another of my STO captains from Ian Samson, and I'm very pleased with the end result. Meet Captain Mika Ito of Starfleet and Captain Aphrodite, mercenary captain under contract with the Klingon Defence Force.
MD: The art style's very snappy and the shading's well done. A little odd in places but good. Though what really amuses me is that the relative character heights are correct. Or at least I assume they're correct.
Why is an Orion named Aphrodite, though? It occurs to me I've never asked. Though presumably, given that the Greek Gods were aliens in Trek, clearly there's shenanigans.
Actually, I guess, you know, since Orions are Orions and Vulcans are Vulcans, that mythological reference ship has clearly sailed. I'm guessing you did that intentionally, then...Rev Dark: Two things. One, Star Trek Online has personal cloaking for tactical officers. Two,  you can trade Bridge Officer NPCs from one player to another, but in order to do so, you must first strip all items from the officer's inventory and paper doll - armour, weapons, etc. I leave you to make your own jokes, in your own head, regarding this. I mean, the wisecracks sort of write themselves. Smile
-- Acyl

My first/KDF character is an Orion calling herself Eris, and she's never made any secret of the fact it was an alias (and she quite cheerfully provided a different answer every time someone pressed her on her real name). Klingon Intelligence believes she's an escaped slave that got grabbed by a KDF press gang. Given she's now managed to establish herself as a mercenary captain with a small fleet at her command (All the ships you get as you level? Yeah, she kept them), they're actually hoping thaty her former owners will come looking for her so they get to watch an entertaining fight.

They're not QUITE right, but she's willing to let them keep thinking that.

As far as Klingon Intelligence knows, Aphrodite is one of Eris's captains, who impressed the older woman enough that when she started her fleet, she trusted her with her favorite Bird of Prey. The name, be it an alias or her actual name, is a reference to the Goddess, and it got a laugh from the KI agent handling her file after he looked it up on Galactipedia. He's rather amused more Orions don't have that name.

Again, KI isn't quite right...
Truth versus fiction
Acyl - Really? - That is kind of fun - the disembarkation ceremonies must be well attended.
I based the above joke on the story (whether true or not)   of Edgar Allen Poe's method of leaving the military.  Following the absolute letter of the regulations for appearance, he showed up for a formation wearing his ammo belt, gloves and rifle; and that was it.  Plus I think Jackie would be a Science officer (though she would consider it more art than science).

Quote:Actually, I guess, you know, since Orions are Orions and Vulcans are Vulcans, that mythological reference ship has clearly sailed. I'm guessing you did that intentionally, then...
It could be argued that that's the Terran translation of their home worlds/systems, which both races use when in mixed company because the humans dominate the Federation and impose their cultural terminology, ethics, and mores upon the other races. The Vulcans go along with it because it's logical to agree with a species that outbreeds them and has a larger percentage of Starfleet officers, Federation Senators, and the population in general. The Orions agree with it because it doesn't really matter to them; they'll get what they want out of the Terrans no matter what they call them.  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Ebony Wrote:
Quote:Actually, I guess, you know, since Orions are Orions and Vulcans are Vulcans, that mythological reference ship has clearly sailed. I'm guessing you did that intentionally, then...
It could be argued that that's the Terran translation of their home worlds/systems, which both races use when in mixed company because the humans dominate the Federation and impose their cultural terminology, ethics, and mores upon the other races. The Vulcans go along with it because it's logical to agree with a species that outbreeds them and has a larger percentage of Starfleet officers, Federation Senators, and the population in general. The Orions agree with it because it doesn't really matter to them; they'll get what they want out of the Terrans no matter what they call them.

There's support for that in canon - in the episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty?", the ambassador offers the line "we who you call Medusans".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I always tended to figure that it depends on what language you happen to be speaking at the time.

The older spacefaring societies in the Federation certainly would've had their own names for Earth, after all - and the Universal Translator, and its supporting technologies, are a thing. So, someone speaking Vulcan would use whatever their word for Earth was - and the translator would chew on that and then spit out the English 'Earth', and so on.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

There's an interesting version of that in the current Star Trek ongoing, where Uhura comments on her suspicions regarding the alien they've met, because the way the Universal Translator decided to render her name has some... worrying aspects in Earth Mythology. But that does seem a little... scary smart of the UT.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
There's an interesting version of that in the current Star Trek ongoing, where Uhura comments on her suspicions regarding the alien they've met, because the way the Universal Translator decided to render her name has some... worrying aspects in Earth Mythology. But that does seem a little... scary smart of the UT.
That being said, one wonders what other races hear from their UTs, when people with names like Michael, Elijah, Moses, Samson, or even Mary, are introduced to them. (To say nothing of Jesús.)

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."