Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witchwind, 4e
Witchwind, 4e
This is my first character done using information from GURPS Powers. I have probably screwed quite a few things up, so expect revisions.
As with all my write-ups, this is a direct translation, not an update.
Witchwind -- 1147 points.
Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 16 [120]; IQ 15 [100]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 18 [15]; Per 15 [0]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 9.50 [20]; Basic Move 9 [0].
Social Background: CR East Asian [1], Western [0]; Languages: English (Native) [6], German (Native) [0], Japanese (Native) [6]; TL 8^ [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Call Hail (see below) [6]; Call Lightning (see below) [113]; Charisma +3 [15]; Control 9 (Weather; Natural Phenomena, +100%; Weather Control, -10%) [342]; DR 5 (No Signature, +20%) [30]; Enhanced Move (Air Speed 36; Weather Control, -10%) [18]; Flight (Weather Control, -10%) [36]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Military Rank 7 [35]; Patron (U.N., 12 or less; Special Power, political influence, +50%) [90]; Reputation +3 (Law-abiding citizens of UN member nations, always) [10]; Status 2* [0]; Temperature Control 5 (Area Effect, 3[4] yard radius, +50%; Weather Control, -10%) [35]; Temperature Tolerance 10 (-35 to 160 degrees) [10]; Unusual Background [50]; Weather Control Talent 4 [20]; Whirlwind (see below) [52].
* Includes +2 for Military Rank.
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (far-sighted; Mitigator, -60%) [-10]; Bad Temper (12) [-10]; Bloodlust (15) [-5]; Duty (IST, 15 or less) [-15]; Overconfidence (6) [-10]; Reputation -1 (Criminals, always) [-2]; Reputation -3 (Citizens and officials of UN-hostile governments/NGOs, always) [-7]; Secret Identity [-10]; Secret Identity [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15]; Stubborness [-5]; Unluckiness [-10].
Quirks: Comes off as distant and foreboding; enjoys comedy of all types, but never laughs; views no one as an enemy until they draw her blood; wears lifts in her boots.
Skills: Administration (IQ+1, A)-16 [4]; Area Knowledge (Japan) (IQ, E)-15 [1]; Area Knowledge (Tokyo) (IQ+1, E)-16 [2]; Biology (Earthlike, Ecology) (IQ-2, H)-13 [1]; Computer Operation (IQ, E)-15 [1]; Diplomacy (IQ-2, H)-13 [1]; First Aid (IQ+1, E)-16 [2]; Gardening (IQ, E)-15 [1]; History (United Nations) (IQ, H)-15 [4]; Innate Attack (Beam) (DX+4, E)-20* [1]; Intelligence Analysis (IQ, H)-15 [4]; Karate (DX+1, H)-17 [8]; Leadership (IQ+2, A)-17** [1]; Meteorolgy (IQ+3, A)-18 [12]; Strategy (Supers) (IQ-1, H)-14 [2]; Swimming (HT, E)-14 [1]; Tactics (IQ, H)-15 [4].
* Includes +4 for Talent.
** Includes +3 for Charisma.
Call Hail: Piercing Attack 1d-1 (Area Effect 9[16] yard radius, +200%; Bombardment, -5%; Environmental, -40%; Overhead, +30%; Weather Control, -10%) [6].
Call Lightning: Burning Attack 15d (Environmental, -40%; Overhead, +30%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Surge, +20%; Weather Control, -10%) [113].
Whirlwind: Crushing Attack 2d (Accessibility, Not in a vacuum, -10%; Accessibility, Only when flying, -30%; Area Effect, 12[16] yard radius, +200%; Double Knockback, +20%; Emanation, -20%; Link, +10%; Side Effect, -2 DX, +70%; Weather Control, -10%) + Obscure 5 (vision) [Accessibility, Not in a vacuum, -10%; Accessibility, Only when flying, -30%; Area Effect, 12[16] yard radius, +150%; Emanation, -20%; Link, +10%; Weather Control, -10%) [52]
* Her Whirlwind ability is based on the Twister ability in Powers, modified so that it's always centered on her and only operates while she's in flight.
* I dropped the "Known for posing in Playboy" quirk, since that's obviously a Reputation that affects a vanishingly small group ("People who read Playboys from the late 70s.")
* I gave her a high resistance to her Bloodlust, since it's really not the sort of thing a commanding officer in an international peacekeeping force should succumb to very often.
* Due to rules changes, Area Effect is a fixed set of radiuses (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.) rather than the more flexible numbers that were in place when the character was designed. So I listed both numbers -- I figure you can take the lower ones if you want (as with range and speed advantages) but you're not really getting full value for your points if you do ...
*According to Powers, all Innate Attacks based on Weather Control have to have all three of Area Effect, Bombardment, and Overhead. I ignored this for both her Call Lightning (one big bolt, not a lot of little ones that affect everyone in the area) and Whirlwind abilities ...
Edit: Trying out a different format for complicated abilities.
Re: Witchwind, 4e
Interesting.
I'm still reading Powers at the moment -- I get a page or two done at a time at the rate I've been going -- and I still really haven't grokked and internalized the big differences with 4E yet. (Yeah, I know it's been two years since it came out. Somehow I just don't have the motivation to chow down the entire book in one enormous fit of mass-comprehension, the way I did with 3E in the 80s. Maybe I'm just getting old.)

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
You should be able to get some mileage out of turning some of her weather-based attacks (Call Lightning, Hail, etc.) into a series of Alternate Attacks, where the most expensive is full cost and the remainder each 1/5 cost. Also, I'm not positive, but the Temperature Control might be redundant with the Weather Control.
I might, if I were trying to reduce her point value. As she's supposed to be one of the most powerful beings on Earth, I don't feel the need. Smile
You might be right about the Temperature Control though ...
Chris Davies.