Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bio-Tech (4e) in IST
Bio-Tech (4e) in IST
I managed to acquire GURPS Bio-Tech recently, and I've been considering doing a summary of what in it is available in the
IST-verse, along the lines of the Ultra-Tech survey I did a while ago. However, in doing so I've realized something that might be an enormous can of worms.

Essentially, according to the IST world timeline, in the 80s, genetic researchers discovered the genes for human intelligence and at the same time discovered
the genes for metahuman power -- and realized that the two were (IIRC) "inextricably linked". (This would mark a good point for where IST world
bio-tech achieved TL 9, because as far as I'm aware, real-world genetic researchers haven't identified any specific parts of the genome that contribute
to intelligence. Of course, I am not a biologist.)

Okay, here's where things get interesting. If the genes for intelligence -- sapience, in current GURPS terminology --
are inextricably linked with those for metahuman potential, then any creatures that are genetically engineered with those genes will have the same potential to
develop and express metahuman powers. This includes all sapient bioroids and uplifted animals. Furthermore, given that the metagenes are more or less random in
how they express, it is likely to be impossible to specifically engineer any specific powers.

Thoughts?

Chris Davies.

Correct and semi-correct. Currently in human genetics, sapience brings powers with it. The original design, though, was that the power genes would gain
expression as sapience evolved, evolving along with it -- meaning in the intended scheme of things there would have been a variety of paranormal primates as
well as the final product -- and if for any reason (such as the odd retrovirus) those genes jumped species, non-primate paranormal critters as well.

In general, the power genes were intended to be winnowed by environmental stresses and whatnot as their host creatures rose to true sapience, eventually
discarding the traits they didn't need while reinforcing the traits they did. But at the moment, they are a monstrous grab-bag of modular power
"pieces" that mix and match to do different things -- and that's really what makes it difficult to engineer specific powers with
"standard" techniques. (Superscience, metahuman intelligence, or other over-the-top stuff might be able to figure it all out, of course.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

TL 9 gengineering allows for creatures that have +1 IQ over their "species template"; this is enough to allow (for example) gorillas to be
low-sapient. (IQ 6 with Wild Animal.)

... I've just inflicted super-apes on an unsuspecting universe, haven't I?

Chris Davies.

Add the fact that Super-apes are "in-genre" if not "normal" for the setting per-se....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Full analysis of GURPS Bio Tech will follow. The immediate prompt for this necrobump is that I was going through my copy of GURPS Psi-Tech (with an eye to adding some things to the Ultra-Tech thread) and noticed, in the Bio-Psi chapter, that TL9^ is capable of adding up to two levels of a psi Talent and up to 20 points' worth of a given psi advantage. Presumably, in the IST world, this would apply to any power talent (at least with the Psionic or Super modifier, possibly for Biological or Magical as well) and/or advantage. Whether this would be linked to IQ increases (up to +1 is available under brain modifications at TL9, according to p.BT43) is left as an exercise for the student.

Quote:Foxboy wrote:
Add the fact that Super-apes are "in-genre" if not "normal" for the setting per-se....
FEAR THE AWESOME MIGHT OF GORILLA KAHN!
(Sorry. Working on a Spirit of the Century one-shot for Free RPG Day. Have super-apes on the brain.)

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Don't forget Gorilla My Dreams, an oneiromancer/dreamwalker...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Guys, don't make this thread a target for some gorilla warfare...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012