Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unity Station, IST Lagrange 2
Unity Station, IST Lagrange 2
So, for the next round of our GURPS IST game, the team is going to be stationed on the newly-christened Unity Station at the Lagrange 2 point, for the year 2012.
So, in preparation for this, I'm making a new International Super Teams Monthly cover.
The main picture is still rendering, which is why it's fuzzy.  And, I need to come up with more cover text, which I'll figure out while I'm at work tomorrow.
I do realize that the picture is, technically, impossible from a "geographical" standpoint.  But, it's more striking this way.

Huh? I seem to be unable to notice anything other than the heavenly body in the forground, myself.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Yeah, MonkeyFist said "There's a background?"
ETA:  In case anyone cares, here are Holly's I-scale*, Non-Multiplicative Modifier†, stats.

* see GURPS Supers page 19.
† see GURPS Powers page 102.

It's been updated (or being updated, Skydrive is slooooooooooow right now), I've added a little more text and an updated picture. Hopefully, tomorrow, shortly after I get up, I'll have it finished.

Construction began in mid 2011 on the most ambitious project the U.N. has ever undertaken. Unity Station officially opened its doors January 1st, 2012. Built with the assistance of the Meeran and various world space agencies, Unity is situated at Lagrange point 2. This massive structure can support 2,000 visitors in addition to the 300 permanent maintenance staff and rotating scientists. An additional 50 permanent staffers include the first ever space-based I.S.T. Embassy. Its primary purpose is as an observatory and science station. In addition, it will be a port-of-call for entry to Earth.

Wow. That's some very, very nice work. 

Somebody beat me to the obligatory "heavenly body" remark.

-Mike
Michael R. Smith (lastfreehuman@gmail.com)
GURPS IST Aleph Wordpress (http://istaleph.wordpress.com/)
GURPS IST Aleph Twitter (http://twitter.com/IstAleph/)
Trek This! Wordpress (http://dthiller.wordpress.com/)
My Blog (http://lastfreehuman.wordpress.com/)

All right, final version is up. Mostly just format change and inclusion of the final version of the picture.

Here is my first shot at creating The Unity.  When I'm finally done, I'll put it on a space backdrop (it's sitting on an alpha channel at the moment).  There is a dome and a torus system . . . but, they're hard to see at the moment.

I'm practicing with Macro-objects to try to do a better job on Grover's Corner.
ETA:  Previous link removed.  Updated version here.
ETA2:  MonkeyFist suggested adding some space craft to the image.  I'll probably go back, have him build me some, and add more unique ones to the image.

Clearly that sucker has to have artifical gravity rather than rotational, or those docking pads wont work.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I thought I put it in here, but, yes, she has artificial gravity (the advantage of studying a gravity-based super villain).  And, if you look, her biozone orientation would be totally jacked up without artificial gravity.
I was enjoying the thought of trying to land a ship, on those pads, with rotational gravity, and watching people tear their hair out.  But, I'm also a sick, sick man.
ETA:  And, I thought I had already posted the final version.  But, I was wrong.

Unity is getting a make-over. Well, it's getting a drastic reduction in size. When I did the math, originally, she was over two miles wide. I haven't done the math on this one yet, but she's already, significaly, smaller. Thanks to Rob for finding me a hemisphere that let me create the dome (the old one was a sphere-primitive).
ETA:  Maths done:  she's 1,160 yd from the bottom of the station-keeping drive to the top of the dome.
ETA 2: More Maths!
The Dome diameter is 500 yd (meaning that the dome is 250 yd tall)
The Shield behind the dome is 685 yards across.
The landing bay wings are 1,440 yds across.  
ETA 3:  Semi-Final Version.  MonkeyFist wants to add something, but he has to figure out how to build it first, and I need to add one more thing.
ETA 4:  Getting closer.  The above image has been updated.  MF still wants to put a ring around the base of the dome and some exit points.   
ETA 5:  Oh, yeah, and if you look REALLY closely, you'll see a "speck" just below the arrow-head shaped craft at the top of the big building, under the dome.
That's "speck" is Holly "Red Velvet" Brandt from the cover in the first post.  I put her in for a sense scale.  And, to help me measure the craft when it was done.