Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverend Chrome, 4e (WIP)
Reverend Chrome, 4e (WIP)
Because, in a real-time world, nobody stays a kid forever, not even Stan Andrews. (The skill-set is a straight-up conversion of what he had at 17; I may work out what his actual skills would be as he moves into middle age, though I'd be thrilled to get suggestions.)

Reverend Chrome [569 points]
ST
30 [200], DX 12 [40], IQ 11 [20], HT 12 [20].
Will 13 [10], Move 5 [-5].
Advantages: Appearance (Handsome) [12], Body of Metal [175], Common Sense [10], DR 22 [110], DR 6 (Metal, -40%) [18], DR 2 (Crushing, -40%) [6], High Pain Threshold [10], Patron (Supertemps, 6) [15], Reputation +2 [10].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero) [-15], Dependency (metal, weekly) [-20], Duty (Supertemps, 9) [-10], Enemy (various criminal groups, 6) [-15], Honesty (12) [-10], Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10], Sense of Duty (to humanity) [-15].
Quirks: Cannot float; Chews literal nails when angry; Doesn't like being asked what he thinks of heavy metal music; Takes his responsibility to his congregation seriously; Tolerant of others, within reason.
Skills: Area Knowledge (Atlanta)-11 [1], Bicycling-12 [1], Brawling-15 [8], Dancing-13 [2], Diplomacy-10 [2], First Aid-11 [1], Judo-11 [2], Leadership-10 [1], Public Speaking-13 [8], Streetwise-10 [1], Tactics-9 [1].

In 3e he had no generic "vs Crushing" DR. Is there a reason you added that? It really doesn't do anything.

Also, in 4e, his punching damage is going to be abysmal by comparison (with a punch of 3d+2 as BoM doesn't give a striking bonus anymore). Some striking ST (or just some melee-attack Innate Attacks) might be justified.

For an "adult" version you might want to have "Duty: Congregation" replace his duty to Supertemps and his quirk. Definitely need some Social Regard. Might increase his IQ and decrease his DX. His dancing skill might atrophy a bit. But, his diplomacy should go up. He should also, probably, get some singing (or, more humorously, incompetence: Singing). Some Administration skill. Definitely needs Detect Lies, and probably Body Language and a greatly improved Streetwise.

Probably Driving (Automobile), but that's as maybe. Also, probably a higher Judo and an atrophied Brawling as someone with SoD (All Humanity) would be more likely to go for incapacitating moves over lethal strikes--and 3d+2 is fully capable of killing a normal.

Something Bob might want to think about is to give him "Alternate Form" and let him turn back into a normal human at will. It's been a long time . . . maybe he's figured it out by now.

The "vs. Crushing" DR came out of the GURPS Update conversion guidelines for Increased Density. On balance, maybe I should fold it in with the 6 DR (Metal), which was to preserve the total DR from 3e BoM.

I didn't give him extra Striking ST because, as you note a little further down, the damage from an ST score that preserves his lifting capacity is enough to kill a baseline and damage most supers in his weight class. But now that you mention it, some additional Striking ST could fill in for the loss of the damage bonus. (With ST 30, his punch, as determined by basic thrust, is actually only 3d; bringing up to 33 raises it to 3d+2.)

Not sure about the attribute adjustments, but your suggestions on disads and skills are just the sort of feedback I was hoping for. Likewise the Social Regard (Respected looks like the best fit). 

Making it an Alternate Form doesn't fit my personal vision, but to quote my favorite author, "there is only one captain of this subway"*, so I'll defer to Bob's judgment.

(* William S. Burroughs, The Soft Machine.)

Actually, a punch is Thrust-1, so, it's 3d-1, with a +3 from Brawling. Kicks are straight Thrust damage.  And, he's totally out of proportion on damage.  He isn't a threat to supers of his weight class.  He's not even a credible threat to our Teen Supers characters who are, right now, almost 300 points.  He's a threat to a squad of normal guys armed with guns, but not to other supers.

You may also want to go in there and give him the Super Power Modifier on a lot of those powers as they're not wild, they're super-powered.

The idea for Alternate Form comes from his history where he was trying to figure out if he could change back. I strongly doubt he'd ever give up trying.
Here's the build I would have used (predominantly putting the Super Power Modifier on his super powers so they can be negated, detected and dealt with):

Kid Chrome [517 points]

ST 30 [180]*, DX 12 [40], IQ 11 [20], HT 12 [20].
Will 13 [10], Move 5 [-5].

Advantages: Appearance (Handsome) [12], Common Sense [10], High Pain Threshold [10], Patron (Supertemps, 6) [15], Reputation +2 [10].

Super Advantages: Body of Metal (Super, -10%) [158], DR 21 (Super, -10%) [95], DR 5 (Metal, -40%, Super, -10%) [13].

Perks:  Striking Surface

Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero) [-15], Dependency (metal, weekly) [-20], Duty (Supertemps, 9) [-10], Enemy (various criminal groups, 6) [-15], Honesty (12) [-10], Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10], Sense of Duty (to humanity) [-15].

Quirks: Cannot float; Chews literal nails when angry; Doesn't like being asked what he thinks of heavy metal music; Takes his responsibility to his congregation seriously; Tolerant of others, within reason.

Skills: Area Knowledge (Atlanta)-11 [1], Bicycling-12 [1], Brawling-15 [8], Dancing-13 [2], Diplomacy-10 [2], First Aid-11 [1], Judo-11 [2], Leadership-10 [1], Public Speaking-13 [8], Streetwise-10 [1], Tactics-9 [1].

*ST has Power Modifier (Super) on it as it is part of his Power and could be negated.

His ST 30, giving him 30 HP makes up for the increased density very well (as HP and mass are linked in 4e).  I, basically, drop his DR down to 30 and +5.  His Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous) from BoM helps him, tremendously, against Impaling and Piercing attacks (people with guns).  And, he's functionally immune to a lot of attacks (any attack with Contact Agent, for example).  Body of Metal is a major improvement over the 3e version.

Also, I added Power Modifier (Super) on all of his super advantages.  That's really up to Bob to determine--can those powers be taken away from him or are they now an inextricable piece of him that can't be disrupted or removed?

ETA 1:  Add some comments
ETA 2:  Add Build

ETA 3:  Formatting
ETA 4:  Added the rest of my notes . . . that seemed to vanish.
ETA 5:  Wow, I'm batting 1.000 tonight.  Updated point total.

Looks good. In particular, adding Striking Surface actually got me to download a fresh copy of Power-Ups 2 so I could see if it worked. (You'll be happy to know, I think it does.) I was already tweaking my text-file copy to incorporate some of your suggestions from upthread; now I've got even more to work with.

As to the power modifier: on further consideration, I think whether he has it or not should be tied to whether or not he has Alternate Form now. If his transformation is in fact permanent, it probably can't be affected by damping technology and other anti-powers, but if he can turn it off now, outside forces can probably turn it off as well. Bob gets final call, of course, but pending his ruling, how does that sound to you?