Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade, 4E
Cascade, 4E
As long as I'm on the subject. (I assume her Water power is both Elemental and Super.)

Cascade [744 points]
    ST 10 [0], DX 15 [100], IQ 13 [60], HT 13 [30].
    Will 16 [15].
    CF: Western [0].
    Languages: English (Native) [0].
    Advantages: Acute Taste and Smell +8 [16], Alternate Form: Body of Water (Only in water, -30%; Water power, -20%) [63], Amphibious (Water power, -20%) [8], Combat Reflexes [15], Control (Water) 12 (Ranged, +40%; Water power, -20%) [288], Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%; Water power, -20%) [6], Enhanced Move (Water) 3 (Water power, -20%) [48], High Pain Threshold [10], Invisibility (Switchable, +10%; Only in Body of Water form, -10%; Water power, -20%) [32], Pressure Support 3 (Water power, -20%) [12], Telekinesis 5 (Environmental: Water, -20%; Water power, -20%) [15], Unaging [15], Unusual Background (Super) [50], Water Cannon (Crushing Attack 12d-12; Double Knockback, +20%; Underwater, +20%; Environmental: Water, -20%; No Wounding, -50%, Water power, -20%) [21], Water Jet (Crushing Attack 6d-6; Increased 1/2D x5, +10%; Underwater, +20%; Environmental: Water, -20%; Water power, -20%) [19], Water Talent 2 [10].
    Perks: Supersuit.
    Disadvantages: Alcoholism [-15], Bad Temper (12) [-10], Enemy (US Army, 6 or less) [-15], Fanaticism (Protection of the biosphere) [-15], No Sense of Humor [-10], Reputation: Eco-terrorist (-3) [-15], Struggling [-10], Vow: Avenge her death [-10].
    Quirks: Bites her nails; Can't seem to keep houseplants alive; Gaps in her recall of her original life; Studies nuclear technology to build a case against it; Works out her frustration on smoggy cars. [-5]
    Skills: Acrobatics-14 [2], Biology/TL9 (Ecology)-14 [8], Biology/TL9 (Zoology)-13 [4], Boating/TL9 (Motorboat)-14 [1], Brawling-15 [1], Camouflage-13 [1], Dancing-14 [1], Fishing-13 [1], Mathematics/TL9 (Applied)-11 [1], Mechanic/TL9 (Gasoline Engines)-12 [1], Navigation/TL9 (Sea)-13 [2], Physics/TL9 (Nuclear)-11 [1], Research/TL9-13 [2], Running-12 [1], Scuba/TL9-14 [4], Stealth-14 [1], Survival (Island/Beach)-12 [1], Swimming-14 [2].

Quote:Mamorien wrote:

Control (Water) 12 (Ranged, +40%; Water power, -20%) [288],Telekinesis 5 (Environmental: Water, -20%; Water power, -20%) [15],
Water Cannon (Crushing Attack 12d-12; Double Knockback, +20%; Underwater, +20%; Environmental: Water, -20%; No Wounding, -50%, Water power, -20%) [21], Water Jet (Crushing Attack 6d-6; Increased 1/2D x5, +10%; Underwater, +20%; Environmental: Water, -20%; Water power, -20%) [19]
Is the Telekinesis only meant to work in the water, or is it only able to move water? Either way, I'm pretty sure that Control (Water) can probably manage whatever the Telekinesis is doing.
Also, Water Jet can be treated as an alternate attack, reducing cost to 1/5.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

The Telekinesis uses the "Environmental" modifier from p.110 of GURPS Powers, meaning it requires ambient water which she can control well enough to lift solid objects. It would probably work as a Control power stunt; I was doing a straight conversion of her Super Scum stats, so didn't tweak things in that sort of detail. (Control doesn't have the "Environmental" modifier because its effects are implicit in the Control power.)

And good point about alternate attacks; I tend to forget those. That's a key reason one puts these things up, after all -- for feedback. Thanks!

A piece of Hero advice: don't do a direct conversion. Figure out what they do and build the best mechanic for it. GURPS has changed so much since those books have come out, it's best to rebuild them for the new rules than try to convert them--Otherwise you start running into problems like "Invulnerability."

You should separate the "Water Power" limitation into both Super and Elemental as "Water Power" is a descriptive term and not a limitation. We know all of her abilities fall into the "Water Power" bucket, but by not defining them by existing traits leaves it all open to interpretation.

Keep in mind that for Environmental is specific when it says "However, your ability is only effective if the subject is in a particular environment . . . and the GM can alter its effects if the environment you’re attempting to manipulate is at all unusual."
Also read the example--a kiddy pool isn't going to do much for those abilities. For her, it fits fine, but I've seen enough people try to claim a flowing sink would count for an Environmental effect.

Body of Water, in 4e, includes Pressure Support 3. You'll probably also want some increased range for underwater only, the base water cannon has a ½D range of 1 underwater, and the jet has a ½D range of 5--moth max out at 10 yards underwater.

Again, all good advice. As I think I mentioned in the Alien Races thread, I've been using GURPS Update to build the rough drafts of characters and templates; it sounds like it's time to take those particular training wheels off. (Not that I was completely dependent on them; for instance, I was already looking at the DR amounts for the 3e Body of [foo] advantages to help me calculate the total DR and how much of it was now covered by the meta-trait.)

A flowing sink would count for an Environmental effect; it'd just be a much weaker one than they were presumably trying to get away with. Tongue

The 3e Cascade has Amphibious, Gills, and Pressure Support in human form; I didn't specifically mention it, but I gave her a point break on BoW for having those advantages as inherents.

Mark Skarr Wrote:... the "Water Power" bucket ...
I saw what you did there.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012