Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those road thoughts: Cleveland, Detroit and the world
Those road thoughts: Cleveland, Detroit and the world
En route to the family lake cottage in the wilds of central Michigan, we stopped for one night in Cleveland, to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and three in Detroit, to attend this year's NASFiC. As mentioned in the South Africa post, I had IST-related insights in both places.

At the Hall, seeing the "Pink Floyd: The Wall" display, the mention of the 1990 Berlin performance reminded me of the super presence at the Krypton-1 version thereof, and at some point along the road, this percolated into wondering whether the Hall has a discrete exhibit on the rock-and-supers connection, or whether it's threaded through the whole thing, tracing the links in both directions (Elvis drawing his costume designs from the Marvel Family, and serving in turn as an inspiration to Charlie the Clone).

There was a separate NASFiC because this year's Worldcon is being held in London for the first time since 1965 and the third time overall. There have only been four UK Worldcons in the interim, and one of those was in 1987. I found myself wondering whether anybody sprang for a membership for Rheergar ss'Shemmrar. For that matter, I found myself wondering how many of the Worldcon sites on Krypton-1, post-WWII, have been the same as on OTL.

Discuss?

I like the idea of supers presence in the RNR HOF -- and I think it's probably both. The supers are mentioned as a matter of course in the historical displays, and they have their own (small?) section.

I wouldn't know where to begin with Worldcons, except to note that space travel isn't yet mainstream enough to make it practical to hold one off-world.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Not even in orbit? Bummer.

Though I have had the thought that the 2000-2005 Worldcons may have been postponed by WWIII, as US involvement in WWII suspended Worldcons from 1942-1945 in both timelines.

Whoops, I stand corrected. I have multiple space habitats by the end of the 90s, and Virgin Galactic getting into play the same time; but I have no later notes on space except for a line about colonies. So maybe yes, there can be at least a couple OffWorldCons.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I like the idea of supers presence in the RNR HOF -- and I think it's probably both. The supers are mentioned as a matter of course in the historical displays, and they have their own (small?) section.
Including mention of a costumed vigilante called The Loon, or do not enough people know about him?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Presumably, when Worldcon goes off-world, there's a NASFiC-analog dirtside con for those who can't afford space-travel fees, with an umbrella-label something like "Terra-Con".

Not sure the Loon has a musical connection. His listing on the supers-list page gives his powers as probability alteration, an energy attack, and enhanced IQ and DX.

Quote:Mamorien wrote:
Presumably, when Worldcon goes off-world, there's a NASFiC-analog dirtside con for those who can't afford space-travel fees, with an umbrella-label something like "Terra-Con".
Seems like a good idea to me.
Quote:Not sure the Loon has a musical connection. His listing on the supers-list page gives his powers as probability alteration, an energy attack, and enhanced IQ and DX.
Given that the Loon is a fairly obvious expy of the esteemed Loony Toons, I would be deeply surprised if he wasn't obsessed in some manner with music. Whether that obsession is connected to his powers is more nebulous, I'll grant.

Proginoskes Wrote:
Quote:=1emGiven that the Loon is a fairly obvious expy of the esteemed Loony Toons
It's a reasonable assumption, sure, but as with the state represented by Joe Kazanski, I was trying not to assume anything until I got Bob's input, so as not to step on his toes. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that Zathras does not know, so *series of descending clicks* cannot say.

Oh, yeah, the Loon is the IST version of Looney Toons, or rather a placeholder for him, created back when 3E couldn't hold him.
-- Bob
---------

Thanks, chief. Does this mean the Loon is one of the people who's going to get stats in IST25?

How I know my brainmeats are the same as they ever were: Since the "Loon" named is canonized on p.IST67, I think it'd be an amusing meta-nod to say that he used the "Looney Toons" name early in his career, only stopping after trouble with Warner Bros.' lawyers. :->

Heh.
-- Bob
---------