Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IST25 Outline, as of 10/22/2013

On second thoughts, Brigid works better as the Academy headmistress (unless you already had someone else in mind for the post). Better for Supreme Commander would be either Drifter or Warrior. (Maybe we should have an election thread a la Legion Leader elections...)

I actually hadn't settled on anybody for any role yet, so all suggestions (and justifications thereof) are welcome.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

An election/discussion thread exists now in the parent forum. Use it in good health, chief. Smile

Just noticed this on the SJGames forums: the GURPS Line Editor has posted about the status of the new-product pipeline now that the new version of OGRE has finally been shipped to everyone who bought it.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... count=3452

Bob, this might explain why you haven't heard anything about the IST25 proposal yet.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ah, maybe, maybe. I should probably wait until Q1 15 before asking to buy back the rights, then.
-- Bob
---------

Hmmmmm... I'm not suggesting you pander to the Line Editor's tastes in games, but if you really want to, you might add a little more Warriors' World and a little less four-color to the mix.

The important bit:
Quote:I don't really like the Big Damn Heroes version of the comics, so I'd be at odds with you there. The only mainstream super I ever liked was Wolverine, and he kills people left and right. (When I read about supers at all . . . I spent more time reading comics closer to Those Annoying Post Bros.) I can't get it out of my head that plausible bad guys play for keeps, so plausible agents of good have to play just as hard. The protagonists' heroism emanates from using their power only to foil bad people, and from making an effort never to harm the innocent . . . not from some high-minded vow not to give as good as they get when battling evil. I find that the latter wrecks my willing suspension of disbelief about as much as fighting Hitler by tying up his thugs with Silly String when they're trying to shoot you.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I hadn't seen that Kromm post, but Bob was thinking along similar lines back in the original version, so I'd say he's got that covered. ("[C]ombat should be realistically deadly, otherwise the U.N.'s stand against violent solutions becomes a sham." -- p.IST70) I have notes describing the IST world in the terms WHS uses for the campaign seeds in GURPS Supers, and in the Mode section, I put "Speculative, but combat is usually gritty."

Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure Kromm remembers that detail from IST.
-- Bob
---------

Wow!  I posted on RPG.net to see if anyone had ever worked on updating the IST world's timeline post-2000 and someone directed me here. This is amazing! I would sell my first born son for a copy of the timeline if it exists yet, although I've already copied this outline to my laptop so I can tinker with it. IST is one of the greatest settings of all time, in my opinion, if not the best. And I don't even like GURPS all that much! It doesn't seem like there's been much activity around here since August, is the project still in the planning phase?

Well, first, that was August 2014. And second, no. I've been hesitant to admit this in public for a while now, but my personal life has gone through more than a few upheavals in the last two years, and the outline and all other development has been shoved aside during that time. I've been telling myself to get back to it -- in the last few days, actually -- but the upheavals haven't really stopped yet.
-- Bob
---------

Oh, I didn't mean this thread specifically. I saw that someone else posted in this forum in August and you had replied, so I figured it was still marginally active.

And brother, you're preaching to the choir about upheaval in the personal life. I've been there. Hell, I'm still there. I feel your pain, and offer whatever condolences I can!