Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vignettes
vignettes
Mamorien from the Whole Earth Grimoire" thread Wrote:(Speaking of Necron, I've thought for a while that the vignette for the "Magic" chapter should involve him muttering to the effect that he could've started the Mage Age a decade early if those fools at the University had only listened to him...)
I've got vague ideas for the other chapter vignettes as well; this is where I throw them open for bouquets, brickbats, better ideas, and other brainstorming -- even for Bob to share his ideas on the matter, since it is after all his sandbox that he's being nice enough to let us frolic in.

The World Today...: I'm picturing a Supertemps reunion. Reverend Chrome touching base with other formerly-teen supers -- Julie Yamashita, Betty Smith, Andrea Northcliff -- I'm thinking The Big Chill meets The Incredibles.
...And Yesterday: Until I sat down to write this post, and even during much of the process, I had serious option paralysis. Even when I decided that I wanted to cover one or all of the 40s, the 60s and the 90s, I had nothing -- until I thought of characters who bridge all those timeframes. Now? John Bull's thoughts, or maybe a speech, at Monique Cluny's funeral. It's so obvious, I'm not surprised it took me so long to think of it.
Playing An IST: Witchwind looking over the latest Academy graduating class and feeling a pang of sympathy for what Dimitra had to deal with.
Characters: The same scene from the viewpoint of one of those graduates, or possibly how said graduate feels in the aftermath.
Extraterrestrials: The idea that leaps out at me most strongly is a glimpse of some recreational politicking on Myrr, specifically with regard to the Confederation insisting on Meeranar cooperation in getting Jhemma vra Xönen extradited from Earth. The Meeranon are willing to cooperate with their new partners, but they're also willing to provide Touchstone with legal aid.
Technology: Earth's gadgeteers are starting to reliably duplicate offworld tech.
Magic: See above.
IST and Infinite Worlds: Something about the WWIII realpolitik option, either from Homeline's side or Krypton-1's. Alternatively, if we end up making room for Kirby-2, somebody at an appropriate Infinity division (Nexus Oversight, Records & Research, Sheldrake Section) studying its relationship to Krypton-1.

Does anyone have any questions? Any answers? Anyone want a snack?

I'll have some nachos, thanks. Hold the jalapenos.

Looks good -- I love the phrase "The Big Chill meets The Incredibles".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Beef, bean or both?

And it was almost "The Big Chill meets Watchmen", until I remembered why my brain was making that juxtaposition -- I read a review once that pointed out the two stories have a common theme, of a group of friends who've drifted out of touch being brought back together by the death of one of their number.

(I assume there have been deaths among the Supertemps all-stars -- either the weight or the cigars have probably caught up with Morris Jakowski by now, for instance.)

Any other in-depth critiques for good or ill?

Mamorien Wrote:...
(I assume there have been deaths among the Supertemps all-stars -- either the weight or the cigars have probably caught up with Morris Jakowski by now, for instance.)
"We always though it would be either the smoking or the weight gain that would kill Morris. Nobody expected he would be caught in a meta crossfire."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Actually, if it's not his self-imposed health problems that get him, I imagine him dying of exhaustion from his contributions to the remediation of Eniwetok. (Hey, his write-up says he can absorb radiation, and it's not limited to the radiation thrown off when he compacts something.) On the other hand, the clean-up work does (did?) take him to some dangerous places on occasion, and for all that he requested a costume when he signed up, he always said himself, "I ain't nothin' but a garbage-man in a funny suit!"

But this line of discussion probably ought to go to another thread... I'm torn between starting a new one and tacking it into the "Generations past and future" thread. Preferences, anyone?

Alternate vignette ideas for The World Today...:

1) The speech at which Senator Joe Kazanski (state TBD), whom you may remember as Deacon Blues from Supertemps, announces his campaign for the 2016 Democratic Presidential nomination. As befits the expanding man, his campaign slogan is "Standing Tall for America".

2) One of the members of Deathwish, recently released from prison, struggling to adjust to the changes since '89. (We can assume Deathwish exist on Krypton-1 because Stan Andrews cites them by name as the sort of "role model" he wants to provide an alternative to, even if the Deathwish adventure has yet to show up on e23.)

Mamorien Wrote:Alternate vignette ideas for The World Today...:

1) The speech at which Senator Joe Kazanski (state TBD), whom you may remember as Deacon Blues from Supertemps,
Alabama, of course. "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues." It's in his back-story.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yeah, Alabama was my default assumption, but I didn't want to be tied down to it. We don't know where his home state is, but now I think about it, there's no reason he couldn't run or stand from Alabama. We don't know the home state of Senator Charles "Seer" Seaver (D-FL) either. Heck, we don't even know what state's US Senate seat served as Martin Luther King's stepping stone to the Presidency. (I'm torn between Tennessee and Georgia. Ever thought about it, Bob?)

Nope. Some of this stuff doesn't get thought about until the moment I'm writing the passage, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Nothing embarrassing in only thinking about these things when it occurs to you to do so. Or if there is, I've got to be publicly shamed right alongside you. :-)