Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Got My 4th Quarter Royalties Yesterday
I Got My 4th Quarter Royalties Yesterday
GURPS Werewolf: The Apocalypse and GURPS Mage: The Ascension are still making me money, ten years after the latter came out. Shapeshifters is still $90 short of paying off my advances. Why isn't the damned thing selling?

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: I Got My 4th Quarter Royalties Yesterday
Shapeshifters.. is that a World of Darkness title?[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
No, GURPS Shapeshifters is a sourcebook for doing shapechanging critters in all different genres. I rebuilt all the GURPS shapechanging rules from scratch (with the help of Dave Pulver and Dr. Kromm), added a lot of campaign aids-type material, and filled the book with examples of both classic (werewolf) and unexpected (weremachines) shifters.
There is absolutely no World of Darkness material in it, except for the mention of Mage and Werewolf in my "About the Author". I was expressly forbidden to even put crossreferences to them in Shifters.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
The lack of WOD references may well be part of why it's not selling as well - may people who are interested in playing Werewolf-type characters are locked into the mentality that WOD is the only setting out the for it... Sad
Personally, I like the idea for a non-WOD shapshifers sourcebook, even though I don't really have use for one right now...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
If we can get confirmation of that, Josh, maybe we should send it up the line via the MIBs. Marketing info like that is one of the things we're supposed to be relaying, when it falls into our laps...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Just a civilian opinion here, but Shapeshifters probably isn't selling because it's not involved with that ever-so-trendy, ever-so-angsty World of Darkness.
which is simply restating someone else's opinion, but hey, I feel chatty.
-K, recovered GothWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Which is really weird,since it's absolutely required if you're playing any sort of shapeshifting character in GURPS.
"There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets""There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"
Except there's no WOD-specific stuff in there. By editorial decree.
I've been thinking of doing up a new Garou template for my website, but haven't done anything but think about it at the moment.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: GURPS Shapeshifters tackles WOD.
My guess would have the Crinos form as the main template, but what do I know? How different would the final point cost be depending on Humans starting with Homid, Metis starting with Crinos and Wolves starting with Lupin...
[fake pout]Dangit, now I've gotta dig out my calculator and a copy of GURPS W:TA . . . [/fake pout]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Oh, the point costs would be very different, because the cost of the wereform advantage is based on the difference between your base racial type's cost and the cost of the wereform template. To reduce it to simple but degenerate case as an example: Say everything that defines Crinos form adds up to a 500 point template. A human who changes into a Crinos pays 515 points for the wereform advantage (15 points plus the difference by which the wereform's template exceeds the base template). A Crinos who turns into a human pays only 15 points (since the human racial cost is 0).

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
O_O wow er.. words fail me... rules jargon..... Tongue