Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Fragment and a Challenge...
A Fragment and a Challenge...
"Go ahead," Dumbledore said, holding out a pointed leather hat so old and worn that it looked about ready to fall apart. "Put it on."
I gave him a dubious look, not taken in by the whole "twinkling eyes I'm-just-an-eccentric-old-man" act. "You're kidding." I gave the hat a dubious look as well, and had the oddest sensation that it was returning the favor.
Dumbledore shook his head. "Not at all, Douglas. Every staff member at Hogwarts must have at least a nominal House affiliation." He shrugged. "At the very least to give us an idea who can act as a representative of each House in ... unusual circumstances."
I caught myself about to scowl in a very Skuld-like manner and aborted the expression. I sighed, though, and held out my hand. "If I must."
Dumbledore just smiled and silently extended the Sorting Hat.
"Well, what have we here?" A voice echoed in my mind as soon as I'd plopped the thing onto my head.
"Funny," I thought back at it. "I was about to say the same thing. I'm used to talking to my headgear, but having it talk back is a new experience for me."
I sensed, rather than heard, its amusement. "A new teacher, are you? Well, well, where shall I put you?" It fell silent for a moment and I could feel the depth of its concentration. "Hmmm. Ambitious you aren't, not for power, but you enjoy glory for its own sake, and there is blood enough on your hands. Slytherin could make use of you."
It seemed to shift and settle itself differently on my head. "And yet you are a hero, too."
"I wouldn't say so. I'm a soldier, I just do my job."
Its chuckle, like the sound of old, creaking leather, echoed between my ears. "Eyes always ahead, you never know what it is you have done, do you? Trust me, young man, I see the trail of a hero behind you. Gryffindor is as good a choice."
"Whatever you say, Hat."
"But you also have a mind of extraordinary power, if not always of sufficient focus. Ravenclaw could sharpen your wits."
I sighed. "Is there a point to this? Or an end?"
"And loyalty in spades," it went on, ignoring me this time. "To friends, to wife, to commander, to those whom you take under your wing, and those who take you in. You would gladly die in their defense. You could show Hufflepuff a thing or two, I'd wager."
"So I belong everywhere. Maybe you should make up a new house just for me."
Another creaky chuckle. "Maybe I should. That'd stand Dumbledore's beard on end! Well, Mr. Sangnoir, it's a hard decision, a hard one indeed. But I've taken your measure, and read your life, and it is my belief that you belong in..."

So tell me, people?
What House at Hogwarts does Doug belong in?
(Edit: Grammar fix.)-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.