Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It is Friday, 31 August.

Dartz Wrote:It occurs to me while sipping on tea during my lunchbreak that, if the Universal Theory of Magic is related to the Universal Theory of Everything, then it's entirely possible for a previously non-magical culture with no magical traditions beyond illusions to discover it, and call it 'new physics', or metaphysics or something beyond quantum physics, and slap it with a big fat 'advanced science' label.
Like perhaps MGLN's Time-Space Administration Bureau? I can completely believe that, especially given how math heavy Nanoha magic is supposed to be and how it's noted that there are hundreds of different special gifts that predispose ones magic one way or another.
Perhaps the TSAB or rather, one of its predecessors eventually stumbled upon the Universal Theory of Magic and integrated it into its understanding?

Greatly enjoying the story, as usual.  Very much wishing I had a few hundred more pages of it handy- I could use a good afternoon's read.
One nit needs picking, though- the FF.net link in the Concordance, specifically in the discussion of Hogwarts' location, isn't quite right.  The author's pen name isn't Doghead13, but Doghead Thirteen, which would make the URL you wanted http://www.fanfiction.net.../Doghead-Thirteen.  A small thing, but what can I do?  You got all the big ones right. *grin*

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Hazard Wrote:
Dartz Wrote:It occurs to me while sipping on tea during my lunchbreak that, if the Universal Theory of Magic is related to the Universal Theory of Everything, then it's entirely possible for a previously non-magical culture with no magical traditions beyond illusions to discover it, and call it 'new physics', or metaphysics or something beyond quantum physics, and slap it with a big fat 'advanced science' label.
Like perhaps MGLN's Time-Space Administration Bureau? I can completely believe that, especially given how math heavy Nanoha magic is supposed to be and how it's noted that there are hundreds of different special gifts that predispose ones magic one way or another.
Perhaps the TSAB or rather, one of its predecessors eventually stumbled upon the Universal Theory of Magic and integrated it into its understanding?
Evangelion acts as a darker example.  Subcommander Kozo Fuyutsuki was a professor of Metapysical Biology, which seems to be the "science of the soul" that lets humans build Evas and analyze AT fields. 
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Bluemage Wrote:Greatly enjoying the story, as usual.  Very much wishing I had a few hundred more pages of it handy- I could use a good afternoon's read.
One nit needs picking, though- the FF.net link in the Concordance, specifically in the discussion of Hogwarts' location, isn't quite right.  The author's pen name isn't Doghead13, but Doghead Thirteen, which would make the URL you wanted http://www.fanfiction.net.../Doghead-Thirteen.  A small thing, but what can I do?  You got all the big ones right. *grin*
Mm.  I can't check it right now as I'm at lunch at work, but... I almost always cut-and-paste right out of a browser address bar when I'm on the appropriate page, to avoid typos.  (And even then it doesn't always work; one link initially went in without the leading "http://" and ended up trying to find a YouTube video on my site.)  I'm almost absolutely certain that in this case I did that very thing -- went to his ff.net page via a bookmark and then cut-and-pasted.  Maybe it changed since then, or maybe it's an alternate.  I'll have to look tonight.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Bluemage Wrote:Greatly enjoying the story, as usual.  Very much wishing I had a few hundred more pages of it handy- I could use a good afternoon's read.
Mm.  I can't check it right now as I'm at lunch at work, but... I almost always cut-and-paste right out of a browser address bar when I'm on the appropriate page, to avoid typos.  (And even then it doesn't always work; one link initially went in without the leading "http://" and ended up trying to find a YouTube video on my site.)  I'm almost absolutely certain that in this case I did that very thing -- went to his ff.net page via a bookmark and then cut-and-pasted.  Maybe it changed since then, or maybe it's an alternate.  I'll have to look tonight.

It's an alternate.  Nothing posted on it, either.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Yeah, I just visited it, confirmed the right URLs, and updated the conc page. Dunno how I ended up with that one.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.