Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pottermore Stuff

Saved as "Wizarding Props" to my local drive.

And I love how one by one all these fanon notions are being torpedoed oh-so-casually by Pottermore.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Saved as "Wizarding Props" to my local drive.

And I love how one by one all these fanon notions are being torpedoed oh-so-casually by Pottermore.
I'm guessing you are referring to the clock? 
Edit:Also, I noticed that the image in my earlier post was compressed and nigh-unreadable, so I've replaced it with the full sized version.  My bad.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Yes, among other things revealed since the site opened up.

Molly Weasley does appear to be a far more accomplished magic-user than the fans usually give her credit for, though.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

So, there's a ton of new info up on Pottermore, mostly regarding the various accredited Wizarding Schools of the world. Here are some of the highlights:

So, we've finally gotten a canon, non-wand method of spellcasting:
Quote:The wand is a European invention, and while African witches and wizards have adopted it as a useful tool in the last century, many spells are cast simply by pointing the finger or through hand gestures. This gives Uagadou students a sturdy line of defence when accused of breaking the International Statute of Secrecy ('I was only waving, I never meant his chin to fall off').

Also, students at this school are informed of their acceptance by Dream Messenger, not by owl:
Quote:Students receive notice that they have gained entrance at Uagadou from Dream Messengers, sent by the headmaster or headmistress of the day. The Dream Messenger will appear to the children as they sleep and will leave a token, usually an inscribed stone, which is found in the child’s hand on waking. No other school employs this method of pupil selection.

Uagadou is also at least one thousand years old, and the only given address is "Mountains of the Moon".

Other interesting things from Pottermore's new entries on the Wizarding schools of the world:
Beauxbatons: (France)
Quote:Apart from the Flamels, famous ex-students of Beauxbatons include Vincent Duc de Trefle-Picques, who escaped the Terror by casting a concealment charm on his neck and pretending that his head had already been cut off

Mahoutokoro: (Japan)
Quote:Students are presented with enchanted robes when they arrive, which grow in size as they do, and which gradually change colour as the learning of their wearer increases, beginning a faint pink colour and becoming (if top grades are achieved in every magical subject) gold. If the robes turn white, this is an indication that the student has betrayed the Japanese wizard's code and adopted illegal practices (which in Europe we call 'Dark' magic) or broken the International Statute of Secrecy. To 'turn white' is a terrible disgrace, which results in instant expulsion from the school and trial at the Japanese Ministry for Magic.

Castelobruxo: (Brazil)
Quote:Castelobruxo is an imposing square edifice of golden rock, often compared to a temple. Both building and grounds are protected by the Caipora, small and furry spirit-beings who are extraordinarily mischievous and tricky, and who emerge under cover of night to watch over the students and the creatures who live in the forest.

Durmstrang: (North Europe?)
Quote:Durmstrang is one of the most secretive of all schools about its whereabouts, so nobody can be quite certain. Visitors, who must comply with memory charms to erase their knowledge of how they got there, speak of vast, sprawling grounds with many stunning views, not least of the great, dark, spectral ship that is moored on a mountain lake behind the school, from which students dive in summertime.

Here are the relevant URLs:

http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... ng-schools
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... ahoutokoro
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... ng/uagadou
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... stelobruxo
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... y-of-magic
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... ilvermorny
http://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-j ... -institute
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

The Mountains of the Moon are also the location of the legendary mines of King Solomon. Methinks the school has little or no problems with funding.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Jorlem Wrote:Mahoutokoro: (Japan)
Quote:Students are presented with enchanted robes when they arrive, which grow in size as they do, and which gradually change colour as the learning of their wearer increases, beginning a faint pink colour and becoming (if top grades are achieved in every magical subject) gold. If the robes turn white, this is an indication that the student has betrayed the Japanese wizard's code and adopted illegal practices (which in Europe we call 'Dark' magic) or broken the International Statute of Secrecy. To 'turn white' is a terrible disgrace, which results in instant expulsion from the school and trial at the Japanese Ministry for Magic.
So, whoever named the school ended up with white robes? (Every other school can at least pretend to be non-magical, but "magic place" isn't something that can be explained away to muggles...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Mahoutokoro: (Japan)
Quote:...If the robes turn white, this is an indication that the student has betrayed the Japanese wizard's code and adopted illegal practices (which in Europe we call 'Dark' magic) or broken the International Statute of Secrecy....
So, whoever named the school ended up with white robes? (Every other school can at least pretend to be non-magical, but "magic place" isn't something that can be explained away to muggles...)
Rob, you're assuming the place was named after the Secrecy Statute went into effect.  If it was before, though, it would've been "grandfathered."  Also, while I don't (mea culpa) speak Portuguese of any flavor, including Brazilian, there're enough resemblances to what tiny amounts of Spanish I know that "Castelobruxo" seems to me as if it might translate as "Castle of Witches," or something similar, which is as much giving away the secret as is "Magic Place."
At any rate, I don't think you're claiming that Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom is a wizards' school in violation of the Secrecy Statute.  So Mahoutokoro could be explained away.
(Hmmm, amusement park, genuine magic....  There's the seed of a Harry Potter/Amagi Brilliant Park crossover there, but the gods cry out in fear at the notion....)

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:Ebony wrote:
The Mountains of the Moon are also the location of the legendary mines of King Solomon. Methinks the school has little or no problems with funding.
Would you be willing to point me towards a source for that?  I can't seem to locate it.
-----

Jorlem Wrote:
Ebony Wrote:The Mountains of the Moon are also the location of the legendary mines of King Solomon. Methinks the school has little or no problems with funding.
Would you be willing to point me towards a source for that?  I can't seem to locate it.
Ebony (or Ebony's source) might be conflating two legendary mines... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldorado_%28poem%29]Edgar Allan Poe put Eldorado "over the Mountains of the Moon"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Quote:Ebony wrote:
Ebony (or Ebony's source) might be conflating two legendary mines... Edgar Allan Poe put Eldorado "over the Mountains of the Moon"
I wasn't conflating the two sources, but I was mis-remembering Haggard's original story, where it was not the Mountains of the Moon, but rather Sheba's Breasts. I was likely conflating Alan Quartermain with one of his real-life counterparts, Sir Richard Francis Burton, who did go to the Mountains of the Moon in search for the Nile.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Pottermore now has the history of Ilvermorny up, which has a lot of interesting info buried in it, from new magical creatures to wandlore, to Slytherin's habit of parseltounge password protecting his stuff. I highly suggest giving it a read. (Not reposting as you no longer needs a login to access the page.)
One rather interesting bit of info:
Quote:Frowning he examined the sparking core of dragon heartstring that protruded from Mr Boot’s, then gave it a casual wave. As invariably happens when a No-Maj waves a wand, it rebelled. James was sent flying backwards across the clearing, hit a tree and was knocked out cold.
-----