Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really wish...
I really wish...
...that my muse would focus on the task at hand rather than stuff 9 chapters out.  Yes, Miss Abbott, you now have your moment in the spotlight.  As do you, panicky unnamed Death Eater.  Neville, I'm still deciding if I want to let you do that, but don't worry, you'll get to shine, too, one way or another.
And I must email Heather and make sure she's okay with the cameo I just wrote for her.
Now can I please go back to chapter 3?  Thank you.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I feel your pain, Bob.

I know almost exactly how Blue Skies, Blue Water and Weekend at Looney's will finish; it's getting to the endings that's giving me trouble, despite the existence of my story outlines...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'll ditto Rob's comment here, Bob.

Right now, I'm working on Avalonians at Hinata-so, which is a prequel to Phoenix From the Ashes set about over four months before the latter story began…but I also want to do some changes to The Children of Oki-shima — I'd like to revise the initial scenes where Inada Mizuho would prompt Noda Satomi to go on a weekend sento trip to Tomobiki and run into Moroboshi Ataru, thus provoking the "time of the month" which would make them bond-mates — and I still have to finish A Nice Quiet Place, too…!

Busy, busy, busy…!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Hmmm.  There's a short follow-on to Andre Norton's Year of the Unicorn that's been brewing in my mind for at least thirty years now.  I've got about two and a half pages of text, and like Rob, I know how I want it to end.  I don't see myself being able to write the rest of it anytime soon, though ... especially as I've finally figured out that I can't depict characterization and personalities interacting worth a damn.  So I can offer a bit of commiseration, at least.

Edit:  Corrected a poor choice of words in the last sentence; I'm really not quite as full of myself (or something) as the original made it sound.
Edit again:  On the third re-read, caught a spelling error.  Leaving it would've driven me freakin' insane.  No comments from the peanut gallery!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I've got so much stuff I want to do, later in the story I'm doing.... but I have to chew through the hard parts first.

The worst part about putting a story together is that you know the end far in advance. Or the major fascinating plotpoints. And you have to wait to get to them. Wading through the middle.

Thanks everyone. I'm also having those moments where my muse has apparently dropped acid -- does anyone else get those? The most recent example of which has resulted in Luna Lovegood singing a song from Skyrim in the Room of Requirement while the D.A. pounds its butterbeers on their tables, after which Doug lays his sword at Harry's feet and swears fealty. Where does this stuff come from?
ETA:  Then again, it was a moment like that which created Sailor Loon... 
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

...those moments where my muse has apparently dropped acid -- does anyone else get those?  
With me they tend to take the form of a scene where anything and everything about the canon character that irked me comes to a head, and my insert character effectively swears blood-feud against the people I started the story intending him to help.  Sort of like Doug and the Knight Sabers, only with, typically, less justification....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Yeah... I have bits of Heart of Black planned out - specifically revalations of who certain people really are and why certain other people are doing certain things - for the end or so of Year 3, possibly later...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Well, I always have the ending planned on an active project -- a couple of the on-hold DW Steps are thus because I scrapped their endings and am working on better ones -- and they're almost always written to some degree between 50% and 85% even before most of the beginning gets written down.

It's just this random stuff from the middle that insists on getting written when I'm trying to get to the middle that annoys me...
-- Bob
---------

Strange. I never do. I've an idea where I want to end up... but still only a vague one. The random stuff is the fun part about writing... it keeps the story interesting.

And if you want weird, try an 80km radius warped and projected onto the inside of a sphere, with echoes from alternate universe bleeding through.

...And still my muse continues to suffer from ADHD. But at least I have all my notes for the Ministry battle in place and in order for the first time, more new material written for Hannah Abbot's moment in the limelight (Why her? Blame Lindsey Sterling and Peter Hollens), and more major plot points nailed into place for the next four chapters.
-- Bob
---------

... my downfall tends to be that as soon as I figure out how the fic as written to the current point will reach the end, I lose any interest in actually writing anything. A detailed outline is basically the kiss of death.

And this is why I utterly fail as a writer, despite a fair degree of technical competence and a gift for visualising and describing action sequences.

Well, that and more free fiction (fan or original) posted per hour than a human could read in a day.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows