Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NOT from Chapter 3
NOT from Chapter 3
Okay, the thing to understand here is that while a *soul* is asingle object, it is, like most everything else in the universe,made up of smaller bits -- "soul atoms", if you will.  Those inthe know -- gods, friends of gods, certain professionals, amongothers -- usually call these soul components "Forces".
(Why "Forces"?  I haven't the faintest, and the gods I've askedhaven't been too clear in their answers.  Belldandy said it was"difficult to explain in less than 8 dimensions".  Urd just wavedher hand and said I didn't need to know the details as long as Ihad the basics down.  Skuld rattled off something I think was anexplanation, but it involved math beyond anything I'd managed tomaster.  Marller agreed with Urd.  And Chris said his "How To BeA God" correspondence course hadn't gotten to that lesson yet. 
There are a half-dozen to a dozen good metaphors for what a soul
*is*, but none of them are actual explanations, and none of them
involve anything involving the usual meaning of "force".)
Anyway, there are three kinds of Forces -- Ethereal, Corporeal,and Celestial, and how many your soul has, in total, ranks you onthe scale between amoebas and gods.  (In case you hadn't guessedalready, humans are on one of the bottommost rungs of *that*
particular ladder.)  How many you have of each particular type
says a lot about what you are and what you can do.  Ethereal
Forces, for example, are somehow connected to both your
intelligence and your sanity; if you somehow lose Ethereal
Forces, you will lose one, or the other, or both.  Plants have no
Ethereal Forces.  Animals have almost none.  Humans have a couple
more than animals.  Gods need a big bag to tote all theirs in. 
You get the idea.
Corporeal Forces have some strange correlation to how physicallypowerful/adept you are, although how that gets expressed varieswith the type of critter you are.  In mere mortals, a loss orgain of Corporeal Forces translates directly into a degradationor improvement of your body in some way.  For Celestial beings,to whom 3-dimensional physical bodies are akin to a finger cotwith a face drawn on it, it reflects how much physical power they
have available to exert through their avatars, regardless of
their size or apparent physical fitness.  (Practical example: 
Skuld could effortlessly bench-press a tank if she were inclined
to do so, and disabled whatever it was that limited her to a
more-or-less human level.) It's weird, and part of that thing
that was "difficult" according to Belldandy.
I never did get a good grip on what Celestial Forces were about.I know they have something to do with perception and intuition,and they definitely provided some kind of link to your choice ofside in the Big Game the Celestials are playing.  Beyond that,
well, I'm clueless, although I have some guesses.  I *think*
they're kind of the framework on which all that makes you *you*
is hung, the metaphysical equivalent of a skeleton.  But unlike a
skeleton, bits can be added and removed without too much fuss. 
Most of the time.
And that's another thing.  Celestials can add Forces to -- andremove them *from* -- lesser beings' souls just like snapping
Lego pieces on and off a model plane.  That's what Skuld did when
she took Megumi as a Servitor -- she took a Celestial Force fromwho-knows-where and added it to the Megster's soul.  This wasapparently enough to elevate Megumi from "mere mortal" to
"incredibly minor Celestial being".  (Senbei outranks her
easily.)  And if Meg ever does anything to seriously piss her
off, Skuld can take it right back again.
"Okay," you're saying, "that's all positively *fascinating* I'msure, but why are you telling me all this?"  Well, bunky, it'sbecause of Voldemort and soul jars.  Mortals have a couple waysthey can knock individual Forces loose from their souls.  Becauseof the way these things work in 12 dimensions, they're not reallydisconnected fully, not like a Celestial would make it.  They'remore, um, orbiting?  Loosely linked to?  Occupying a probabilitycloud around?  Something along those lines in relation to thesoul they got knocked off of.  In four-D space-time they can be
light-years away from the soul they came from, but in the other
eight dimensions they're still *right freaking there* and part of
the soul.
And if you attach them to something that has no Forces of its
own, like a diary, a ring, or four or five other things that
*can't die* because they're not alive to begin with, well then,
when you die, your soul can't go anywhere -- because the loosebits of your soul are nailed firmly to the universe and hold youthere.
The only problem with this method is that each of those loose
bits don't actually work very well with the others any more, so
every one of these anchors you make screws with you in some way. 
Do it enough, and you'll end up a brain-dead cripple who can't
even conceive of what they did to get to that state.
This is why *competent* practitioners only move their *entire*
soul in one piece to a protected anchor.  Because what good is
immortality if you're going to spend eternity in a basket,
drooling?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

"You made six Horcruxes? How are you not a drooling moron already?"

Yeah, pretty much.
-- Bob
---------

At a guess, he found a way to steal a brick or two from someone else's LEGO kit (probably a snake, possibly Slytherin's basilisk) ... we already knew he was a childish bully after all. The fact that this would just make him even more crazy even if it did maintain his physical strength and some shred of intelligence, enough to walk, talk, and sneer at the same time anyway, actually would explain more than it calls into question.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I suspect, given the commonality of magic in the Warriors' World, that Doug is far too familiar with Koschei the Deathless, one of the antagonists of Russian folklore and one of the origins of the "put your soul/heart/life into another thing so that you can't be killed" trope. (Heck, he could easily be a classic supervillain, recorded in the annals of the Warriors or other teams.) Voldemort's just copying the idea.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Ebony Wrote:I suspect, given the commonality of magic in the Warriors' World, that Doug is far too familiar with Koschei the Deathless, one of the antagonists of Russian folklore and one of the origins of the "put your soul/heart/life into another thing so that you can't be killed" trope. (Heck, he could easily be a classic supervillain, recorded in the annals of the Warriors or other teams.) Voldemort's just copying the idea.
Quoting from Chapter One:
Quote:I lowered my hand. "There's also the Koschei-style soul jar, but you said 'resurrection'. A Koschei soul jar gives you physical invulnerability and immortality — it's like the lich ritual but without all the messy dying and possessing your own preserved corpse. They're a hell of lot harder to make than a simple partial jar, but with one you just can't die, no matter what happens to you, so resurrection never comes into the picture." I looked up at Dumbledore. "Do you know which one he used?"
So, I suspect you're right in the broad idea, but not in the particulars...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Judging by the first post snippet, the difference was that Koschei knew his wand from his ... elbow, when it came to making himself immortal, while Voldiepants was a 15yr old who read a few cryptic lines in a manuscript too vague to be called inaccurate, decided he knew *everything,* and set about waving his ... elbow. Most likely he rubbed an Etherial force off his soul that go, and lost that small fragment that eventually develops in most people by 25 or so to tell them, "No, wait, this is a bad idea."
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Probably a bit off-topic, but, Bob? You've got me pondering a RPG stat system based on that description now.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

It already exists. It's In Nomine.
-- Bob
---------

Sofaspud probably means a system with a finer grain, like if In Nomine had been designed with Mortal PCs in mind from the start. Or I could be spouting nonsense.

Speaking of which, Bob, I just noted that you're draft of DW VIII Part 3 is currently at 118 KB. Any idea of a possible completion date or is real life butting in the way?
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

I'm not quite sure yet, Fred. It's shaping up to be longer than usual, I'll tell you that -- I set myself a firm rule that starting with chapter 3, each installment will cover a month of school, and I've just gotten to the evening of the first day of classes. (That actually sounds worse than it is. I have big chunks of stuff written that come after that point which are included in the byte count, but which I don't count toward "completion" until I write up to their proper places. But I still have more text written between start-of-chapter and Doug's Arithmancy tutoring with Vector after dinner on the first day of classes than I thought I would. (And no, she's tutoring him.)) I have several key events I need to hit before I can wrap up the chapter, and not all the paths to them are obvious to me yet.

Real life is not getting in the way, not more than usual; it's just that the task is bigger than I anticipated.
-- Bob
---------

LOL! Well, I can understanding setting parts to approximate lengths of story and all that. I normally try to pace myself to 70 KB per story chapter (leaving about 10 KB for writer's notes at the end), but the latest chapter of the third Wizards and Avalonians side story is 108 KB!

Guess nothing's set in stone . . . Wink
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Well, I'm only familiar with In Nomine by name, as in, I've heard it's a thing that exists.

So apparently I have to do some digging. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
RE: NOT from Chapter 3
Sofaspud Wrote:Well, I'm only familiar with In Nomine by name, as in, I've heard it's a thing that exists.

So apparently I have to do some digging. Smile
Start digging here...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown