Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prologue And Chapter One...

Proginoskes Wrote:On an almost completely unrelated tangent, Rowling loves Significant Names: "Albus" means "white"; Minerva was (if I recall correctly) the Roman name for Sophia, the embodiment of wisdom and knowledge; Severus Snape is severe and prone to verbally sniping at people; Argus Filch has a huge collection of confiscated items. So what's with "Arabella Figg"?
Sometimes a name is just a name...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And a Cigar is a darn fine smoke? *grin*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Thank you, Dr. Freud - you may sit down now.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Proginoskes Wrote:On an almost completely unrelated tangent, Rowling loves Significant Names: "Albus" means "white"; Minerva was (if I recall correctly) the Roman name for Sophia, the embodiment of wisdom and knowledge; Severus Snape is severe and prone to verbally sniping at people; Argus Filch has a huge collection of confiscated items. So what's with "Arabella Figg"?
I do wonder what Doug's reaction would be if he met Remus Lupin and learned that he became a werewolf after being bitten by a guy named Fenrir Greyback. Would he wonder if their being werewolves was somehow fated, or would he wonder if becoming werewolves altered reality in such a way as to retroactively change their names.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

standard starting salary of 6,344 galleons
Oh, and I didn't round it to 6,350 or something like that because the Wizarding World seems to like oddball totals, values and ratios — witness the prime number ratios between knuts, sickles and galleons.

6,343 is prime....
--
"Remember, the truth is out there." —Johnny
"It is? Oh, I hope it doesn't maul anyone this time." —me

"Hello, Charlie's family," ... "Hullo, Doug!"

I remembered after reading this bit in the concordance that I found funny.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Thanks for that link, HBM!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh, dear.  I'm so sorry to bring this up so late, but...
Quote:...a simple but hearty beef stew, into which I dug with great gusto. 
"The question now is," I said between bites of one of the better mutton stews I'd had the pleasure to consume...
Was Doug very hungry, and had two different stews during the same conversation, or...?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Huh. I remember the change between beef and mutton, but not why I made it, nor which direction I made it in... I'm going to have to go through my svn repo for DW8 and look at what I did before I fix that.

Thanks for the catch!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.