Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crowdsourcing a Detail

Exactly. I do like "scroll kiddy" quite a bit, though!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Whatever the word's going to be is going to be defined by where it comes from. Maybe I'm overdoing this, or overstepping bounds, but her goes..

UTM was derived around the same time as the computer science world was adopting the term 'hacker' with all the connotations? And Hacking is most definitely not confined to computer science - at least not any more. Would it go to far to suggest that there's some cross-pollination between both Computer Scientists and Magical Scientists in testing the hefty mathematics, while the term 'hacker' comes into

To which 'Real' Wizards react with scorn, comparing these 'hacker' wizards to a well known 'hack' stage magician known for formulaic, repetitive Las Vegas shows. It starts as a derisive pun on for UTM magic is defined by formulas and sort of becomes adopted by early adherands to the theory ad a badge of honour. Or am I re-using the adopted slur trop too much?

So, rather than an actual term, it's something derived from a particular person's name. As to who that might be, well that depends on who's considered to be a particularly 'hack' magician.... probably someone fictional.

I'm also now realising how much the internet has ruined my ability to read. I'm missing details left right and centre when I reread things.

"hackmage?"

"Hackamore?" -- Directly referring to a "bitless bridle" which leads a horse around gently by the nose...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Whatever the word's going to be is going to be defined by where it comes from. Maybe I'm overdoing this, or overstepping bounds, but her goes..

UTM was derived around the same time as the computer science world was adopting the term 'hacker' with all the connotations? And Hacking is most definitely not confined to computer science - at least not any more. Would it go to far to suggest that there's some cross-pollination between both Computer Scientists and Magical Scientists in testing the hefty mathematics, while the term 'hacker' comes into

To which 'Real' Wizards react with scorn, comparing these 'hacker' wizards to a well known 'hack' stage magician known for formulaic, repetitive Las Vegas shows. It starts as a derisive pun on for UTM magic is defined by formulas and sort of becomes adopted by early adherands to the theory ad a badge of honour. Or am I re-using the adopted slur trop too much?

So, rather than an actual term, it's something derived from a particular person's name. As to who that might be, well that depends on who's considered to be a particularly 'hack' magician.... probably someone fictional. (And I'm overusing that adopted slur trope)
Ohhhh ... you can make that function as a Discworld shout-out, too, in the sense that somebody in Warriors World of the type Dartz is describing has the same name as a Discworld character -- specifically, the wizard who built the computer Hex (Anthill Inside).  Call such a person a "Stibbons."  Witness the comments on Ponder Stibbons' style of being a wizard:
Quote:"Look, I don't mind summoning some demon and asking it," said the Lecturer in Recent Runes.  "That's normal.  But building some mechanical contrivance to do your thinking for you, that's ... against Nature."
Quote:The Dean glared.  "That's not magic!" he snapped.  "That's just ... engineering!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Exactly. I do like "scroll kiddy" quite a bit, though!
So how about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking
and would scrying be the equivalent of social engineering?

Mm. Warriors' World never had any coherent, permanent system of magical communication, so I can't see magical phreaking developing there. However... I'd bet there's a term for that native to the Harry Potter world that Harry and his friends just never came across -- someone must be phreaking the phloo.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Ebony wrote:
I was tempted to say "wildmage," but that seems more indicative of someone just poking at magic to see what happens, rather than someone who is down in the source code. Maybe "coder" or "codemage," though that implies someone who knew something about computer terminology, which puts it in Muggle territory, or implies cyphers and some sort of encrypted magic (which would be an interesting idea - magic reinforced against counterspells through complexity rather than force of will - but not particularly relevant right now). Maybe "hexcracker" or "spellcracker" (with the difference between the two being like the difference between a hacker and a cracker)?
The question is, of course, what color hat will our "hacker" be wearing?  
Actually, Round Hat may be a good slang term for a user of the new system (after Doug's helmet), with Pointy Hats being those using the old one (the traditional cone-like wizard hat).
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
someone must be phreaking the phloo.
(Chimney) Sweeps?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I like.
-- Bob
---------

Complete with Cockney Rhyming slang as a deliberate social "tell?"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Not just as a tell, but as the phloo equivalent of L33T. It would have to have come from the Muggle-born among the phloo-phreakers if it's the Mary Poppins ref I think it is, but yeah, that'd be perfect.

Now I just have to figure out how to work that into the story, because it's too good an idea not to use.
-- Bob
---------

Sad part is, I don't remember enough Poppins to have made that ref.  I was just figuring 'hey, Floo requires a fire, which requires a fireplace- where better to listen to the fireplace than from the chimney, since the user won't see you in there'.  Then I realized that chimney sweeps would've been A Thing in the late 19th century- a long time ago for us, but within living memory for a lot of wizards.
What was I inadvertently referencing?

I've been writing a bit.

A Cockney chimney-sweep, of course! Dick van Dyke, with an accent so obviously fake that it is now the platinum-iridium standard for bad fake accents.
-- Bob
---------

Would the anti-phreakers be called Floo Fighters?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Would the anti-phreakers be called Floo Fighters?
That's absolutely horrible.  Why not?

I've been writing a bit.

What about neophyte? From my understanding (wikipedia) is stands for someone who is new to hacking or phreaking, and it has that magus sound to it as well Wink

Assuming communication and overlap between the founding groups of Computer Science and Scientific Magic, I'd propose overlapping Jargon as well. Paying attention to context is critical, because a UTM-Mage who has the Hacker nature and a Computer Scientist of exceptional skill will both be called a Wizard. (An actually wizardly hacker-mage could be called a Guru.) "Hedge-Wizard", which Doug has already used as a term of mild-to-moderate derision, is a longer (though often shortened to "hedgie" or simply "hedge"), more broadly-applied, and magic-only version of hackish "munchkin": a pre-larval-stage UTM mage is a hedgie, but so is someone who relies on the magical equivalent of voodoo programming and is entirely ignorant of UTM.
Alternately and more simply (and more usefully for this Step, because it reduces confusion with the local use of "wizard"), why not have the computer science and scientific magic crowds overlap so much that they use largely the same jargon? People already use prefixes when distinctions are needed (Unix Wizard, for example), so just extend that a little: "Yeah, Joe in the Applied Theology department has the hacker nature and is a wizard with Voudun, but sit him at a computer terminal and he's a chainik."

You make a very good case, Proginoskes. And offer some good usages. I think I might blend this with "scroll kiddy", "heXX0r" and "surger" -- not to mention the related phloo phreaker subculture that's already been discussed.
-- Bob
---------