Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know You Want It II: Electric Boogaloo

Wow....been a long time since I've browsed in these forums. Lots of dust.

Anyway...was skimming these (and really looking forward to more adventures of Doug), and saw the comments about the version of Luna here...
Personally, I thought it was obvious myself...she's the Potterverse's counterpart to Doug. ;-)
Now the question is...who's Chris Angel's counterpart? ;-) (which reminds me of something I'd had stuck in mind ever since I finally got to read the last parts of Step V...Chris's Autobot analogue that shows up in the big fight scene? Crisscross, of course. :-) )

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Figured it was something like that. Which does make the bit I was referring to with Doug even better. Namely, his noting right there that Draco just tried to freaking murder Harry.

The amusing part being, teenagers don't really think like that.
Lyle Menendez and Amy Fisher might disagree with that. Though a case might be made that, at 18 and 17, respectively, they weren't really teenagers anymore.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:Ebony wrote:
Quote:Dartz wrote:
Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Figured it was something like that. Which does make the bit I was referring to with Doug even better. Namely, his noting right there that Draco just tried to freaking murder Harry.
The amusing part being, teenagers don't really think like that.
Lyle Menendez and Amy Fisher might disagree with that. Though a case might be made that, at 18 and 17, respectively, they weren't really teenagers anymore.
A key feature of the adolescent mindset is the subconscious expectation that everyone is immortal.

Alas, a spelling error:
Quote:Herione's surprise vanished, 
Also, something I noted in the Concordance, about the Principle of Contagion, is that the first sign of Potter-verse Contagion-based magic is the Protean Charm in Order of the Phoenix.  But it occurred to me:  wouldn't the requirement for something from the person copied by the Polyjuice Potion as in Chamber of Secrets be based on Contagion?  Or am I using an overly-broad definition of the Principle?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:Alas, a spelling error:
That's what I get for trying to do a fast continuity fix yesterday. "Only one sentence changed, no need to worry about typos!" Right.
Quote:wouldn't the requirement for something from the person copied by the Polyjuice Potion as in Chamber of Secrets be based on Contagion?
You're quite right. I overlooked that.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Maybe because, fanfic aside, Accidental Magic doesn't seem to happen to adults.
Ahem.  I quote from a Curious Character with the improbable name of D. Q. Sangnoir, on the subject of "accidental magic":
Quote:Usually the province of the under-ten set, but not unheard of in trained wizards put under serious stress.
-----

Regardless of what you think of Hermione, disagreeing with her does not qualify as "serious stress". Unless you're Ron Weasley.
-- Bob
---------

Maybe I'm missing something everyone else has seen, and I'll look like an idiot (again), but how did the Loon do that bit with the pillows-out-of-nowhere while teaching the third-year Hufflepuffs?  It doesn't seem like it could've been one of his song-magics -- lasting most or all of the class? -- and besides, the kids don't mention him wearing his helmet, or music playing.  The only halfway-reasonable explanation I can think of is that he requested someone else, such as Twonky in particular, to act as a "teacher's assistant" -- house-elves, based on what we've been shown of their powers, could certainly do a bang-up job -- but wouldn't Doug have mentioned that in his narrative?
-----

He was in fact making use of the House-Elves -- nice catch, that -- but, well, chalk it up to author error. There was going to be a scene in class with the fifth-years told from Doug's point of view where they would have been subject to the pillows. The House-Elves' help would have been mentioned during it, but I cut the scene for a couple reasons (one of which being that it buggered up the calendar) and I forgot to transplant the explanation.
-- Bob
---------

Doug also has his rubber chicken, and given his personality I can see him learning how to hide one up his sleeves...

but Bullwinkle .... err Cobalt, that trick NEVER works
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Lion:  ROARRRR!
Loon:  Must've brought the wrong helmet....
-----

DHBirr Wrote:Lion:  ROARRRR!
Loon:  Must've brought the wrong helmet....
No, no - not a lion...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:[...] Kat had continued as she attached the card to a golden cord. "We had the Hogwarts House-Elves find and bring in the necessary components to create this for you."
Does that mean the people simulated in the RoR can internact with the real world by way of house elfs, bypassing the real people? That could open some interesting possibilities ...

Quote:Edit:  Great Dralm in the heavens, I'm an imbecile; it was prefigured all the way back in DW2.  You're gonna save make it so Nephrite doesn't have to die. 
And you're gonna love how I do it.  I've already broadly hinted at that, too, but probably in too obscure a way to be helpful.
-- Bob
---------

It occurred to me today that it's a great, GREAT pity neither Harry nor Ron ever saw The Princess Bride.  Harry would have a somewhat better chance of having seen it, even though it strikes me as not the sort of movie the Dursleys would like....

Hermione:  Professor Sangnoir did something completely impossible in front of me....
Harry:  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
-----

DHBirr Wrote:It occurred to me today that it's a great, GREAT pity neither Harry nor Ron ever saw The Princess Bride. Harry would have a somewhat better chance of having seen it, even though it strikes me as not the sort of movie the Dursleys would like....

Hermione: Professor Sangnoir did something completely impossible in front of me....
Harry: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hermione had seen The Princess Bride, though.

"That's impossibl... I keep using that word. I do not think it means what I think it means."
--
Rob Kelk

You give her more credit for self-awareness than I'm able to, I'm afraid.
-----

And more self-deprecation, too. She just doesn't seem to be the kind of person to poke fun at herself, even in private.
-- Bob
---------

Good point. Hmmmmm...

Hermione: "That's impossible."
Ron: "You keep using that word."
Hermione: "Don't you dare say it doesn't mean what I think it means!"
(Ron looks puzzled)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Good point. Hmmmmm...

Hermione: "That's impossible."
Ron: "You keep using that word."
Hermione: "Don't you dare say it doesn't mean what I think it means!"
(Ron looks puzzled)
I kind of want Miracle Max to be Madame Pomfrey's grandfather. "Well, young Mister Potter is only mostly dead, and as my dear grandfather used to say, mostly dead is slightly alive."  
Ebony the Black Dragon

Heh. It won't fit the plot as currently written, but hey, maybe I can twist something...
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Heh. It won't fit the plot as currently written, but hey, maybe I can twist something...
Perhaps S. Morganstern is a wizard, and William Goldman is a muggle he knows? Just a thought.  
Ebony the Black Dragon

Much, MUCH later, I realized that Dumbledore, at the very least in Bob's version, is quite likely to have seen The Princess Bride.  I wouldn't put it past the canon version, either.  "You keep using that word, Miss Granger...."  

Ohhhh, that's a notion that tickles me.  Especially if she recognizes the line when he says it.

Edit:  Bob, I should emphasize that despite my poor phrasing, I'm NOT telling you to add this into the story!  I'm not that conceited.  I'm just having fun imagining how such a scene might play out.  Sorry about how my comment wound up sounding.
-----

No worries, I didn't think you were trying to force me into anything.
-- Bob
---------