Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hogwarts is a public school
Hogwarts is a public school
Interesting fact I just learned: The Ministry of Magic pays the tuition of all Hogwarts students:
Quote:@emmalineonline1 @micnews There's no tuition fee! The Ministry of Magic covers the cost of all magical education!
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) July 17, 2015
Source
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

...then what was the point of Hagrid mentioning Harry's inheritance when Harry objected that the Dursleys wouldn't pay for Hogwarts, in chapter 5 of Philosopher's Stone?
Edit:  And why are the Weasleys barely above impoverished?  Everyone else working for the Ministry -- including the other honest ones, I should note -- seem well off.  If they don't have to pay seven tuitions, then where is their money going?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's like school here.

The tuition is free.

But then you have to spend E150 on a uniform with the school crest on it that can only be bought in the one shop, another few hundred on textbooks that're revised every year to keep them from becoming hand-me-downs in families (Usually, just a chapter re-ordering that causes some havoc in class). Transport. Accomodation. Food. Equipment. A 'voluntary' sports and social contribution....

Free education is remarkably expensive.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2306399

Wait, wouldn't accomodation, food and equipment be covered by the tuition fees in case of such schools? I know that textbooks aren't covered in the Netherlands, but at least here there's a large and well organised (as in, organised by the education establishment itself) used books market. You can literally rent your books for a year, although you are required to take proper care of them in return.

Quote:Hazard wrote:
Wait, wouldn't accomodation, food and equipment be covered by the tuition fees in case of such schools? I know that textbooks aren't covered in the Netherlands, but at least here there's a large and well organised (as in, organised by the education establishment itself) used books market. You can literally rent your books for a year, although you are required to take proper care of them in return.
From which I gather that school in the Netherlands is about education, rather than about making money for the school, which seems to me to be what Dartz describes, or about making children "feel good about themselves" (those who don't run afoul of bullying that the teacher ignores), as appears to be the curriculum in far too many U.S. schools these days. 
-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Quote:Hazard wrote:
From which I gather that school in the Netherlands is about education, rather than about making money for the school, which seems to me to be what Dartz describes, or about making children "feel good about themselves" (those who don't run afoul of bullying that the teacher ignores), as appears to be the curriculum in far too many U.S. schools these days. 
-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
Given that a couple of years ago there was a major scandal because a school compromised the middle school final exams... that's probably actually true of most schools. Seriously, the response of the national Educational Inspection was to rather grumpily note that since said exams are organised on the national level this meant that for every compromised subject every student of the level they were compromised on had to redo the examination. And they meant every student that met the criteria. Including the ones in the far off corners of the country.
As there were two dozen exams stolen... yeah. A lot of very unhappy students, teachers and parents. They were very lucky that statistical analysis pointed out that the mess hadn't meaningfully propagated beyond the school and as such there was no need to force anyone else to redo the exams.

Quote:Dartz wrote:
It's like school here.

The tuition is free.

But then you have to spend E150 on a uniform with the school crest on it that can only be bought in the one shop, another few hundred on textbooks that're revised every year to keep them from becoming hand-me-downs in families (Usually, just a chapter re-ordering that causes some havoc in class). Transport. Accomodation. Food. Equipment. A 'voluntary' sports and social contribution....

Free education is remarkably expensive.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2306399
Department of Education only covers the minimum tuition. If it were left up to the department wanks, all of the Teachers would have been replaced by Ghosts, or recordings, which ever was cheaper.
Then the head of the Ministry would make it all recordings, as the ghosts would teach the truth....