Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Tidbit From Rather Far Out Yet...
A Tidbit From Rather Far Out Yet...
"That's a really lousy picture of him," Xander said after a
moment. "I mean, it makes him look like some kind of monster.
But if you squint your eyes, you can see it's just him in his
biking leathers and helmet."

"Well, it *is* a medieval woodcut," Giles commented from over his
shoulder. "They are not exactly known for their photographic
accuracy." He tilted his head and studied the illustration for a
moment. "Although it certainly does look like it was made from a
second- or third-hand description, doesn't it?"

"Sort of like how the rhinoceros got turned into the unicorn, and
the tiger into the manticore, right?" Willow blurted, bouncing
excitedly in her seat.

"Yes," Giles replied. "Quite."

"So he's *not* a demon," Buffy said with an audible air of
relief.

"No, he's just drawn that way," Giles replied with a smug little
smile.

Xander snorted. "Jessica Rabbit he ain't."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

LOL!
I can probably imagine Doug's response:  "You're comparing me to her?!"
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

... How would they even get a woodcut of Doug?

Then again, the place seems to be the universe's cesspit, so everything ends up there eventually.

Hazard Wrote:... How would they even get a woodcut of Doug?
I expect it was in one of Gilles' books.

(Or maybe Eimi anonymously mailed a scan of it to Xander... It's a bit scary that "girl sidekick breaks character and decides to be mischievous" is the reasonable option, though.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Is mischief out of character for Eimi? I'm not familiar with her source, but the degree of adventurousness required to tag along with Doug as a laptop... Well, the two kinds of protagonist I enjoy the most are the Outsider, who is flung or dragged unwilling into the plot, and the Trickster, who is by definition mischievous. Whenever it isn't obvious that they aren't, I tend to assume any protagonist has at least a faint resemblance to one or both – and Eimi is completely willing and not at all Outsider-like, so that leaves the Trickster.

Incidentally, the term "Outsider" (which I invented on the spot trying to express myself) doesn't have anything to do with the protagonist being foreign to the main setting; that's just the most obvious cause which gives the entire concept a convenient label. What makes an Outsider is the explicit goal of a resumption of normalcy, of returning home. Doug is an Outsider, but Eimi is almost the antithesis: she jumped at the opportunity to leave home, and has no particular plans to return to Fenspace.

Eimi's been a good girl for roughly a century at this point (with a few exceptions, such as the nanosteps in The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Mahoromatic, and ReBoot, and the Sakura Wars official Step, all of which she knew previously) - she doesn't want to risk creating a metatemporal paradox by givin Doug knowledge that he didn't have in the stories she's read about him.

But she does know how the Walk ends, so she just might be letting loose on her "last stop"...

Edit: And she does use her extradimensional knowledge in a snippet Bob's posted from the official Sister Princess Step... You might know my character better than I do.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012