Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sailor Moon Redux
Re: Sailor Moon Redux
Quote:
Wrap your forebrain around this one: A friend of mine played the Sailor Moon RPG as the Mystical Blue-Collar Knight. Neatly pressed autoshop jumpsuit, magical slip-lock pliers, and the ability to conjure his towtruck out of nowhere to run the villians down. And all standard Sailor Knight dialogue delivered in a redneck accent.
Oddly enough, that actually sounds more effective than Tuxedo "Rosebud"....
"Believe in yourself, Sailor Moon! And catch your breath whilst I squash this youma with my truck."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
*grin* That does sound fun, in a whack sort of way.
Then again, I ended up playing a Knight of Earth in one of JWB's games as the reincarnation of a Silver-Millenium-era fighter jock. "Excuse me, Pluto, but I need to perform some high-explosive proctology on that there youma..."
Imagine Ichijo Hikaru or your other favorite mecha-jock, with a sword, reincarnated as a fourteen-year-old USAF brat...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
This is my day for sick images.
I just envisioned Shinji Ikari as Tuxedo Wimp... throwing explosive self-doubt at youma who promptly curl up and fatally question their worth to the Dark Kingdom...
Argh.

-- Bob
---------
Sailor Moon Redux
You have to be careful when you introduce new combatants into the first season if Sailor Moon. Fanon has set that the Dark kingdom doesn't take the reappearance of the Senshi as a serious threat. Tipping the odds in the Senshi's favor could result in the release of the hunter/killer youma or something simarly drastic. Not that the Generals aren't idiots, their schemes prove that.
On the Reset, I think the situation in the anime and manga was the Senshi, save Sailor Moon, died in the assault on Beryl's Arctic Base. When Usagi used the Ginzinshou; she wished for their resurrection and for normal lives. The second part resulted in the memory loss.

Er, not that I watched Sailor Moon. I picked all this up from crossover fanfics. No you can't prove anything! The only purely Sailor Moon fanfic I admit to reading is NETTG!!, and no true fan would read that!
Quote:
Er, not that I watched Sailor Moon. I picked all this up from crossover fanfics. No you can't prove anything! The only purely Sailor Moon fanfic I admit to reading is NETTG!!, and no true fan would read that!
Don't bother denying, you have the Mark of the Beast on your forehead.
--
Mr. Fnord, Holy Roller
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
What, a picture of Chibi-usa?

-- Bob
---------
>What, a picture of Chibi-usa?
No, the Seishi symbol of Seiryu no Seishi Nakago.
At least, in my case.
Blessed be.
-n
(I -wish-. Yui-sama sugoi to kawaii des!)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Sailor Moon Redux
Ack. No, the Spore is Evil and is tolerated only because Setsuna-sama likes it.
Actually I like the manga; very few corny speeches, the senshi have more attacks, and are more believable. The anime about gave me an aneurysm when I first saw it. *shudder*
Re: Sailor Moon Power Levels and Such
Of course, if you go by the manga, one valid interpretation (so much is *SO* ambiguous...), the Senshi are the human extentions (*NOT* avatars; an avatar only has a portion of the power of whatever it's the avatar of) of concepts. Considering that one word of the physical manifestation of a concept is 'Elder God'...
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Damn. I really need to go to my local B&N or Borders and see if they still have the Sailor Moon manga. Soon, soon, I hope.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Considering that one word of the physical manifestation of a concept is 'Elder God'...
Oh, jeez...
Sudden vision of Chibi-usa as one of the many masks of Nyarlathotep, Herald of the Outer Gods.

The world needs more Anime/Lovecraft crossovers. ^_^
Quote:
Sudden vision of Chibi-usa as one of the many masks of Nyarlathotep, Herald of the Outer Gods.

I have always suspected a link between that type of super-cuteness and pure, alien Evil.
Kevin
I think that there is a very, very good reason that there's only one letter difference between the Japanese words for "cute" and "scary": kawaii/kowaii.

-- Bob
---------
Two letters, really-- "kowai" only has one i (or a short i
as opposed to a long), and belongs to a different class of verb.
--Sam Ashley
"I said--SPOON!"
Re: Japanese Lesson
Noted. Still, they're close enough in pronunciation for government work.
(Helen, our one Japanese speaker in the gang since Tori actually moved to Japan to teach English, is used to me being an inveterate punster. But it was only recently that she realized, to her horror, that while I only know about ten words of Japanese, and no grammar at all, I still know enough to make two absolutely awful puns therein... and that's one of them.)

-- Bob
---------
Another way to look at it
A few things to consider (if I'm remebering it right)
1)Beryl and the four generals have been in the dark kingdom since the fall of the silver millenium. It has to have done some sort of workover on their minds, Insane but powerful tyrants tend to stay in power.
2)It takes power to send youma over to earth, the more youma sent a the same time the more power it takes.
3)the DD girls (I think thats the name the youma sisters use) at the end of the first series manage to kill of all of the inners but Usagi, they are neither as stupid or as powerfull as the four generals.
4)The only reason they beat Beryl is because she came to earth to summon Matillia
So it might be logical to think that if you killed of the generals long before Beryl had enough energy to summon matillia, she would have to send someone else (the DD girls come to mind) a lot sooner and as long as the senshi kill off the idiots it's going to rais the chances of Beryl actualy picking someone with enough of a brain to be a threat. The more tactics and training Doug teaches the senshi, the more experiance and better trained their opponent gets as long as the senshi don't them.
Re: Another way to look at it
Actually, what I think I might do is have Doug and Usagi free the Generals and send them back in as operatives...

-- Bob
---------
Incoming...
Oh, and I got around last night to ordering the first three manga from Amazon.com. At least I think I did... while I'm certain that I got vols. 1 and 3 (as a very odd little package deal offered by Amazon, I don't know why they didn't consider vol 2 worthy...), Amazon's legendarily dodgy data entry put a title on what appears to be vol. 2 that doesn't match the format of the titles for 1 and 3... I had to make a guess based on the sample pages and other skimpy data on the book's page.
Well, I'll know for sure in 5 to 9 days...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Incoming...
I was about to say I know a place online to read the manga, although I won't post it for obvious reasons.
Note that it's a translation, but not a scan so there's no pictures, it reads like a script.
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)
My Amazon.com order came yesterday. Given that I took the free, slow-as-we-can-make-it shipping option, that's something like 3 work days. I'm impressed.
Anyway, I don't need the online scripts -- except for one thing: At the beginning of the "Amy" chapter in vol 1, someone compares Amy to [Image: grin.gif]D"> emi Moore[/i]. Okay, leaving aside that image for a while (I just can't reconcile it with Ami), I'd be curious to see who the comparison was with in the original Japanese...

-- Bob
---------
Checking it, I don't find a line comparing her to ANYONE.
*shrug*
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)
When I get home tonight, I'll get the page and frame reference. Not surprisingly, the style of the book is rather cutesy, with many little notes in tiny text, either spoken in the background or just there I guess as sort of secondary observations. This was one such.

-- Bob
---------
If it's the scene just after Luna is checking Ami's info in her computer,
then the commentaries are of the tone that she (Ami) had aced the
last exam, that she was the genius girl from class 5, that's she's
rumored to have an IQ of 300 and that she's the #1 in the national
mock tests.
Ja,
NN
Yeah, that's the page, I think -- 7th after the chapter splash. In the English orientation, the lower left frame is Usagi saying "Wow, Girl Genius". Right under the bottom edge, in much tinier print, it says "She looks like Demi Moore".
-- Bob
---------