Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sailor Moon and Time Spent Doing Things
Re: Art of "War"
Quote:
the "kick the senshi's ass" variant I've seen ... but I don't remember ever seeing any "train the senshi" fics.
I don't remember any examples offhand (aside from things which have conceptual overlap but don't quite qualify, such as the very obvious "Strategy and Tactics"), but I've see a number of those as well - not as many as the kick-their-ass variant, but enough that if I'd been paying attention to your "specifically don't do the usual things" rule I'd have likely mentioned it when your Doug-trains-the-Senshi plotline first got revealed.
If I remember or otherwise run across any specific examples (before anyone else points enough out), I'll direct you to them.
Now that I think of it, there's an aspect of this in Skysaber's SM setting for Otaku Reflected - notably the months spent training in that dreamscape.
Quote:
Has it? Really? I mean, the "kick the senshi's ass" variant I've seen -- Carrot's "Gaijin" is a great example, especially since his SI character was going out of his way to not tangle with them -- but I don't remember ever seeing any "train the senshi" fics. Could you point me at some, so I can check'em out for cliches to subvert? And most of the other SI SM fics I've seen have generally involved becoming one of the senshi, in one form or another, which certainly doesn't apply here.
Can't speak for SI fics involving the senshi, since I've seen only a few of those and I never delved into them too deeply, but I do know of at least one fic where the Senshi -train- amongst themselves(and have, through Pluto's LONG reach, acquired isolated property where they can cut loose, since this fic takes the approach that they are possessed of truly destructive power. If you're interested, I can dig it up. But, I warn, it's a fairly long fic. (500k total, all in one segment, though a few sites I've seen archiving it have broken it up.)
ETA: www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/7876/
End of the Beginning is the one in question. Featuring at least one scene where they are training against each other(and comments on what happened the last time they cut loose in a training session)
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
A varient Ranma trains the Senshi in _Could it Get Any Worse?_
phu.anifics.com/Authors/DP.html
It's amusing, enoguh that I keep an eye out for new parts but not so much that I've re-read it.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Hm. I do mean specifically "SI character trains the senshi". The only one I can think of is Carrot's "Insertion", where he puts them literally through boot camp and turns them into special forces.
Doesn't mean I'm not going to check out the stuff people are pointing to, though!

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
songs
Some suggestions of songs for the Sailor Moon universe (I don't think these have been brought up, but I could be wrong... )
"Time is on my side" When wanting to get on Pluto's good side ~_^ (or possibly duplicate her powers)
"No time" by the Guess Who might do something to those time traveling types (Pluto and the Dark Moon types, depending on when you might set it) - or time stop, or accelerate time for Doug.
Since evil/good tends to be fairly easily detectable at various points (this goes from limited manga/anime exposure, and lots of fanfics, which could completely skew my view)...
"When you're Evil" by Oh My Goth - however, the potential side effects of turning Doug into his evil twin Skippy for the duration of the song could be very bad...

RMH
MENCKEN'S LAW
There is always an easy answer to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.
Evil Doug
Quote:
the potential side effects of turning Doug into his evil twin Skippy for the duration of the song could be very bad...
For starters because he gets a goatee.
re: songs
*sighs* and my last post would make a little more sense if I'd not forgotten about half a line -_-
...since good/evil tends to be fairly easily detectable, the ability to blend in with the evil types on the evil-o-matic detector could be useful
RMH
OSBORN'S LAW
Variables won't, constants aren't.
Re: Sailor Moon SIs
Perhaps fortunately, I can't right now recall the titles or authors of any of the "SI uses his superior knowledge of military tactics and discipline to train the Senshi into a lean mean fighting machine" stories. They were all pretty much MST bait.
I seem to recall there was a rash of this sort relatively early on in the fanfiction, when only the dubbed first season was available in English. I got the feeling that most of the authors who did these stories were feeling embarrassed/annoyed that a "girly" show had gotten so popular in the anime fandom, and were trying to stamp out the shoujo elements to turn it into something acceptable to their "macho" sensibilities.
Quote:
I seem to recall there was a rash of this sort relatively early on in the fanfiction, when only the dubbed first season was available in English.
Hm. I slid into anime fanfiction around 1996; would this have been earlier? I know it took me a while to get into any kind of Sailor Moon stuff at all, mainly because the NA dub did seem so dippy...
Quote:
I got the feeling that most of the authors who did these stories were feeling embarrassed/annoyed that a "girly" show had gotten so popular in the anime fandom, and were trying to stamp out the shoujo elements to turn it into something acceptable to their "macho" sensibilities.
I find that amusing, somehow. Well, then, just consider it another SI cliche to overturn... as soon I find at least one example so I can figure out how to overturn it.

-- Bob
---------
Re: re: songs
Quote:
*sighs* and my last post would make a little more sense if I'd not forgotten about half a line -_-
By the way, RMH, I just noticed that you're a newly-registered user. Welcome to the boards!

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Hm. I slid into anime fanfiction around 1996; would this have been earlier? I know it took me a while to get into any kind of Sailor Moon stuff at all, mainly because the NA dub did seem so dippy...

*ominous music plays* And now we've hit one of my pet peeves. The NA Dub(or, more, precisely, the first 65 episodes released of it) is not dippy. In fact, it is a startingly good dub. For one, the voice actors all are(well, mostly the senshi) competent. Their problems were some seriously bad dialogue and, in one case, cast members being replaced. (Cape-Boy has like 3 different voice actors in the first 65 episodes alone)
In fact, there are two moments that the dub actually -improves- upon the original. I admit, though, I doubt many people are going to agree with me there, but that is my opinion and since I did see the dub long before I got any of it subbed(and it inspired me to go hunt down and purchase a fansubbed set of S, which I still have to this day)
A lot of people catch the dub, and are expecting it to be just like the original, same characters, etc, etc. And it's not. They aren't the same there. Particularly Usagi. And, unlike, say, Card Captor Sakura, the dubbing of SM did not destroy any goodness to be found in it.
Anyway, I shut up now before I go off on a complete tirade. Wink
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Oooooookay...

-- Bob
---------
^_^ What? I'm harmless, really. So long as you don't get me wet and never feed me after midnight. Wink
In all seriousness, the NA dub gets a bad rap. (Admittedly, I'm selective about what I feel gets a bad rap. Anything after the first 65 episodes reeks, but still isn't hacked up as bad as, say, CCS was. Or YGO. Or Saint Seiya even.)
Which is not to say that it is -good-. But it isn't as horrible as CardCaptors. Not by a LONG shot.
The Art of War
There's a fic by Metroanime called Retake that examines the consequences of the Senshi being more competent in the beginning. Skysaber also had an SI in a similar vein.
Won't the Negaverse decide to take them seriously and send specialized Hunter-Killer Youma after them? Worse yet, all the Generals unite (and they were a band of brothers in the manga) and kill them once and for all.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Sailor Moon SIs
Not exactly Sailor Moon SIs, but one of the players in our IST game runs a professional military type who also happens to be a tough Romanian werewolf, Major Thibor Sawchyk. He wrote an amusing piece where the London IST base commander - who dislikes him almost as much as Thibor hates him - assigns Thibor (whom he knows to HATE 'cute') to the training of a group of new recruits - an all female high school sentai group known as Team Metric who happen to think "Wolf Hero Thibor" is their idol.
Here's a snippet ...
0800 IST Classroom Facilities, Great Britain

Walking down the corridor, Thibor went over his plan, step by step. Introduction, tests to determine physical prowess and durability, situational assessment, psychological profiling and if time permitted, lunch. The six P's were covered. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. He was armed with regular coffee deliveries, two bottles of
aspirin, in extra-strength, and knock-out-a-horse werewolf strength respectively and a panic switch linked to Simon's PC - and instructions to summon him immediately should it be triggered. Pausing at the door to the classroom, Thibor called on just enough of his wolf to heighten his senses.
The classroom was noisy, but not overwhelming; the sort of sound you would expect from a quintet of schoolgirls about to embark on a grand adventure.
With a final check on his aspirin, Thibor squared his shoulders and entered.
"Good Morning." Thibor said gruffly. The noise in the room died down instantly and five sets of eyes fixed on him. Five sets of very big eyes. Thibor forced himself to look again. Yes. Huge. Most of the aliens that earth had encountered were comfortingly humanoid, but there were always subtle differences. In this case eyes were easily twice as large as those of a human, and unnaturally bright. There was also an unusual aural component, probably due to the additional area the eyelid had to cover in closing, producing a slight 'whicka' noise when any of the girls blinked. The hair was also unusual. Well unusual for human, for a parrot it would probably be fine. Bright red, blue, purple, pink and green; truly appalling shades. It was also disturbing how many of the hairstyles, featuring outrageously overextended bangs and curls, seemed to hang in air, their very presence an affront to the forces of taste and gravity. Testing the air, Thibor couldn't pick up the scent of any hair care products or gels. It was likely that the internal structure of the hair had a much stiffer organic core than humans. Hair care would probably require tools of near industrial strength.
"I am Major Thibor Sawchyk, code named Nightbreed." Thibor continuted. "Will be conducting today's evaluations." The five girls nodded vigorously. Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad. They all seemed attentive, quiet, and did not exhibit the over the top fascination with gestures and overloud aphorisms that he had noted in his work with Danzaiver.
The manifest leader of the girls, a tall redhead rose to her feet, revealing disproportionately long, albeit shapely legs. Following her lead, the other four stood as well.
"Greetings Wolf Hero Thibor!" They chorused loudly. "We are especially honoured to meet you!"
"I am Beautiful Warrior Senti!" The redhead announced with wide gestures. "Fiery champion of love!"
"Swift Fighter Nano!" The blue-haired girl followed suit. "Lovely instrument of fate!"
"Clever Planner Milly!" Her purple hair fluffing out, the third one struck a thoughtful pose. "Clear thinking harbinger of intelligence."
"Stalwart sweetheart Pico." The pink haired girl blew an exaggerated kiss. "I'm cute!"
"Strong Punch Key-lo." The green haired girl struck a classic, bodybuilder's pose. "Imposing pillar of strength and grace."
"We are!" They all chorused, punching their fists in the air. "Team Metric!"
"Wolf hero Thibor." Thibor said under his breath. "Utterly and thoroughly appalled." He cracked open the aspirin in his pocket and dry swallowed two tablets, not bothering to check which ones they were. The girls were looking at him expectantly, as if he was expected to cheer or break into
applause.
"Is taking seats please. Attendance is taken care of." Thibor felt the bottom drop out of his stomach. Wrong aspirin.
Yes, he had a lot of fun writing the story ...
Quote:
"Wolf hero Thibor." Thibor said under his breath. "Utterly and thoroughly appalled." He cracked open the aspirin in his pocket and dry swallowed two tablets, not bothering to check which ones they were. The girls were looking at him expectantly, as if he was expected to cheer or break into applause.
urgle.
That is HIDEOUS! Supremely horrifying!
Where can I find a copy? ^_^
Ed.
Team Metric
The author hasn't posted it anywhere, just gave a copy to the members of our game group. However, I checked with him and he doesn't mind it being passed around. I can send you the txt file if you wish.
Thibor
Could you send me a copy, as well?
Thank you, Starwolf.
Re: Thibor
I'll need addresses to send the file(s) to. He's written more than one, although the Team Metric one is my favourite.
Re: Team Metric
Quote:
The author hasn't posted it anywhere, just gave a copy to the members of our game group. However, I checked with him and he doesn't mind it being passed around. I can send you the txt file if you wish.
My public email address is eabecerra@icqmail.com. Thanks, Star.
Ed.
please include
Mind supplying one more sod with the text?
This one rests at griever@wp.pl regularly.
Thank you muchly.
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
please include
ditto:
yobxofNOSPAM2000@hotmail.com
Obviously remove the caps...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
E-mail...ooops
Email that to: kevncody@ptd.net
Thank you, Starwolf.
Email...Oops...
Starwolf:
Please send to kevncody@ptd.net
Thank you.
story
Send to rbakervv@yahoo.com please