Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athena/Mercury and Sailors Moon
Athena/Mercury and Sailors Moon
Okay, in an attempt to redirect an off-topic discussion over in "The Game", let me try to start it up over here.
First, after looking for and finding "The Crosstime Adventures of Athena and Sheila" (for reasons which I will explain below), I found a link to Biles and Hosmers' "Sailor Moon Z" and rediscovered "Athena", the "pre-incarnation" of Sailor Mercury. So as it turns out, I did know who folks were talking about, but I still wasn't planning on using her.
Now, the reason I was looking for that fic. It's one of the few places I can remember where an obscure factoid I once heard was employed: I don't remember where I heard it, or who said it, but apparently, Misato in Evangelion is supposed to be an analogue/parallel universe alter ego/whatever of Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon. It's used as a device in "Crosstime Adventures", but that seems to be the only place anyone has ever played with the concept in a fic. And just about the only time I've ever seen the claim. Has anyone else ever heard this, and does anyone know of any definitive source for the claim? Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Athena/Mercury and Sailors Moon
I don't know where the claim originated, but IIRC it stems from the little-known (and little-cared-for) factoid that Misato's voice actress did the part of Usagi in Sailor Moon. Fen being fen, speculation and Komedy flourished for a couple of weeks before something else attracted their attention. ("Oooh! Shiny!" *poing!*)
To my knowledge Davies and Hosmer were the only ones to use the idea in even a remotely serious fashion.
--
Mr. Fnord, cursed with the gift of memory.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Magical Girl Evangelion
Oh the other hand, using the Evangelion girls as Magical Girls is an idea used in fanfiction as divergent as 'Dance of Shiva' and 'Otaku 3: EVA Revolution'.
I quote:
Pen Pen leaped up onto her desk. Misato quick! Transform into Pretty Katsuragi and save Jay-chan! Youre the only one who can do it!
Misato started twitching.
Pen Pen pleaded with her using all of the force of cuteness a magical (or in this case, Washu-enhanced) mascot could cram into liquid, trusting eyes.
Misato squirmed. But isnt that kind of a stupid name? I mean Jared gets to be Sky Lord and all I get is Pretty Katsuragi? What about when I get married?
Pen Pen leaped into her arms and warbled. Pretty mode is just what we call it when you change. Your combat name for fighting evil is Magical Soldier Cutie Emerald!
Yaaahh! Hyuga and Aoba broke into simultanious applause. One of them had produced party hats out of nowhere and the other had inflated balloons. Somehow even Ritsuko had a hat on and joined them in snapping party favors.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Magical Girl Evangelion
While Washuu, who's engineered this, is ROTFLHAOing over in subspace... That whole sequence is easily my favorite in all of the Skysaber sagas. (Second place goes to the face-off between the Eva Knights and the inhabitants of a standard Eva timeline, particularly a vivacious Rei announcing "And he's not really my brother so it's okay for me to lust after his bod!")
It's a pity Skysaber nuked his net.presence because of the flamers -- aside from his tendency to throw the odd libertarian/religious conservative rant in the middle of his fics here and there, he wrote some damned good stuff. Twisted as all hell, but good.
Anyway, back on the subtopic, there was a great little "article" written about the series "Magical Princess Evangelia" and its history; it's really a lot of fun to read about the most popular anime that never was. There's an unwordwrapped text version here:
spghome.tripod.com/HTMLob...NGELIA.txt
You'd be best served by saving it locally and reading it in an editor that can linewrap it.

-- Bob
---------
Actually, if you go to Soulriders, you can still see the 'flame' that triggered his leaving; it would take a *REALLY* long stretch of the imagination to consider it a flame. Oh, and *MY* favorite sequence in those sagas is when Skysaber holds up Gendou's 'autobiography' and starts quoting...
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
What's Soulriders, and can you give me a URL to the message?
Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
re: Athena/Mercury and Sailors Moon
I still say I like The Judge's version of Mercury, as it fits nicely between Biles & Co's Athena and what ever Elsa Bibat's doing (or perhaps some other SM ficwriter).
Except his Deep Ones for some reason are giving me X-Com'ish vibes.
--Rod.H (who must go a CD burner hunting)
Re: re: Athena/Mercury and Sailors Moon
I'll check that out after I get home from work. Thanks, Rod.

-- Bob
---------
*waves hand* Reply later. Busy. Reading.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Soulriders is a fanfiction/RPG forum hosted by Dracos.
dracos.anifics.com/forums//index.php
Specifically, the post in question is a discussion on Otaku Three, *NOT* that 'divide by zero' essay he posted.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
By the way, M Fnord, I forgot to thank you for your answer on the Misato/Usagi question. While Googling for info before posting, I found gods know how many pages that list the credits for that particular seiyuu (Kotono something), and I had started to wonder... Thanks for clearing that up.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I still say I like The Judge's version of Mercury,
I just read the first chapter of that this morning; looks very interesting. Thanks for the link!

-- Bob
---------