Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skating Densetsu
Skating Densetsu
part in the Moon Kingdom's most popular sport, Evgenia Medvedeva is definitely one of us.
See also: Episode 39.
-- ∇×V

Drat! Beaten to it Smile
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I wish my employers hadn't taken to blocking YouTube with a warning screen; I'm just going to have to wait until I get home to see this.
Edit, hours later:  Color me impressed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

See also also: Asuka Chieri.

I actually went ahead and watched that episode.  Thoughts were:
  • Makoto is, on her first try, good enough at ice skating to compete internationally.  Reincarnation FTW.
  • In the time since this episode was aired, we've actually observed craters filled with ice on the Moon.
  • Canonically Sailor Moon's boots can turn themselves into ice skates.  Can anyone think of an application of this when combined with Sailor Moon Kick?
-- ∇×V

Doug can. (And so can the Teraverse version of Buffy Summers.) But he'll be torn between making sure she's as competent as possible and preserving an innocence he sees as almost holy.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Doug can. (And so can the Teraverse version of Buffy Summers.) But he'll be torn between making sure she's as competent as possible and preserving an innocence he sees as almost holy.
Not just Teraverse Buffy, if I recall the fight with the Order of Teraka from Season 2 correctly. Of course, a figure skater's skates are less sharp than a speed skater's or hockey player's, but there's something to be said about driving force. To say nothing of bashing with a toepick.  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

In the not too distant future, wars will no longer exist.  But there will be Sailor Moon figure skating.
"Jon-a-than!  Jon-a-than!  Jon-a-than!"

-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:vorticity wrote:
I actually went ahead and watched that episode.  Thoughts were:
  • Makoto is, on her first try, good enough at ice skating to compete internationally.  Reincarnation FTW.
  • In the time since this episode was aired, we've actually observed craters filled with ice on the Moon.
  • Canonically Sailor Moon's boots can turn themselves into ice skates.  Can anyone think of an application of this when combined with Sailor Moon Kick?
Usagi also, after some initial bumbles, picks up her skating enough to do it in combat, and was, purportedly, quite good(iirc) during the Silver Millenium. It just took a bit to translate to present-day, did it not?
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Just remember: WWBBD? Smile
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:Usagi also, after some initial bumbles, picks up her skating enough to do it in combat, and was, purportedly, quite good(iirc) during the Silver Millenium. It just took a bit to translate to present-day, did it not?
In chapter 2 of DW-S, Doug notes that the walking contradiction that is Usagi has, in addition to her ability to trip over the patterns in carpets, a profound kinesthetic sense almost on a par with his own. And I drew that from canon, from things just like this, where she goes from hopeless to scary-competent faster than Sora Naegino of Kaleido*Star can pick up world-class performance skills.
-- Bob
---------

Something else to keep in mind; when in a fight Usagi never trips into the path of whatever is trying to kill her.

Is she clumsy?

Sure.

But she's very, very good at not being clumsy when she must not be clumsy.

From a Doylist perspective, Usagi's clumsiness is so that all of us 13 year old Japanese girls can personally identify with her struggles.  Maybe she's a superhero, but she has to deal with the same awkwardness as the rest of us.  Also, slapstick.
From the Watsonian side, maybe one can just turn it around?  A part of her power that reminds that she is like everyone else, and makes mistakes.  Possibly a nod that purity is not perfection.  Or maybe she's just a 13 year old in a growth spurt.  But I always come back to the memo from her future self which is written entirely in kana that dumps responsibility for raising her child on her past self.  There were reasons for that, but it still seems likely that her future self might still be a clumsy goofball.
-- ∇×V

I've seen speculation that she's actually a natural at Drunken Kung Fu.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

There was a crossover -- I think it was one of the "Bet" fics circa 2000 -- where Ranma Saotome explicitly chose to train her in Drunken style Kung Fu.
-- Bob
---------
RE: Skating Densetsu
<blows dust off thread> Well. Evgenia Medvedeva is graduating from doing Sailor Moon cosplay during her competitions to being Sailor Moon, officially:

There's going to be a Sailor Moon ice show. No bets on who's skating the title character.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....