Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And it's out.
Re: And it's out.
Black Aeronaut Wrote:— Alabama 3, "Woke Up This Morning (Theme to The Sopranos)"

Dang, Bob, you mean you've never heard the album version of this song?  The one with the long, spoken intro? Wink
@Black Aeronaut: You literally had this same discussion with Bob about the same song in the last Song of the Day thread: song-of-the-day-march-22-2017-t11844.html

Quote:
Quote:63rd Day of the Fifth Greater Cycle of Darkness in the 10,014th Year of Exile
So, how does that calendar work?  Smile
Hm, 63 days, 5 cycles, sounds like Discordian calendar to me, though that would be the entirely wrong time of year.  Is this a flashback to 1991 or something?  Or do the youma not adjust for St. Tib's Day?  From this passage: "The stars have finally aligned," ow my SAN points.
-- ∇×V
Whoops.  Forgot about that thread!  Seems so long ago.  :p
Very much enjoyed, but one minor quibble:

How did Doug know what color Sailor V's costume was based on a black-and-white photo?
Not just a single black-and-white photo:
Quote:After work I ran over to the Akasaka Library, which was several blocks and fifteen or so minutes' walk north-ish of Hudson Soft's offices. I grabbed a bite on the way, and then spent the next couple of hours doing a dive through their back copies of the Asahi Shimbun and a few other local periodicals. All the Tokyo papers acknowledged her activities, although some seemed to disapprove of her, and at least one treated her like silly season fodder. However, between them all there were more than enough photos — as well as the occasional film or video footage — to verify that she did in fact exist, and that she probably wasn't a hoax.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:So, how does that calendar work?  Smile
However I need it to.  <grin>  No, it's not Discordian.

Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:Reading about Beryl here, it's easy to see how deluded she really is, and I actually feel kinda bad for her.  It simply doesn't occur to her that there was no witchcraft performed on Mamoru, neither does it occur to her that Matalia is not going to be content with their deal.  I wonder how Doug is going to react when it all comes to light.
Strictly speaking, I don't think he ever learns about it.  

Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:Reading about Luna's experiences - and knowing you, this is a reasonably accurate interpretation of cannon - I have to say it's a miracle that they even pulled off a win against Beryl and Matalia.  I mean, it showed in the anime towards the very end, but still...
Well, some things are extrapolations -- none of the versions I've seen or read have actually depicted Luna's "decanting" for example -- but I've tried to stick as closely to the known facts (a funny word to use in this case) while trying to examine and explore their implications as realistically as possible.

Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:I like how Doug handles things with Sailor Moon - he doesn't necessarily take over for her, but he doesn't leave anything to chance, either.  He is in 100% mentor mode.

Though I can see why Luna would be wary, I do hope that she comes around soon.  Maybe once she sees how well Doug's training works?
Thank you.  And while you'll have to wait for future material to see the details, yes, Doug and Luna do end up settling their differences.  Despite how much fun it would be for me to write, a constant antagonism between him and Luna would work counter to his plans, so he makes the first overtures of peace.

Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:And oh, poor poor Ami!  She's such a sweet little thing.  But that sense of duty and commitment towards her studies, while laudable, is crippling.  It's going to be so sweet watching that poor little girl come out of her shell.  And I can't wait to see what you do with Rei, too.  (She is, after all, one of my favorites.  Wink

Lots of Minako here.  Will she be joining up sooner than in cannon due to Doug's influence?
Yes.

Black Aeronaut wrote: Wrote:And oh man!  Bringing in Hotaru this soon!?  Shit is gonna start hitting the fan sooner than expected, I assume?
Well, as I noted elsewhere, this is mostly to anchor her relative to the overall plot -- according to the best timelines I've found, Mistress Nine gets stuck in her at some point during the first season, even if she doesn't show up until much later.  What happens with her... well, there's a hint in another thread, if you read carefully.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
*Goes and checks...*
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:So, no Saturn or Pluto.
Correct.  One for butterfly reasons, and the other... well, actually, they're both butterfly reasons, but in the one case, Doug utterly and completely derails future canon from miles away without ever knowing it.

Well, Doug and Usagi, to be absolutely honest.
Aw man!
Don't worry, there will be occasional miniscenes throughout the story featuring them.
-- Bob
---------
Just a note on this bit in the concordance:
Quote:he never *had* found out who was behind that Sailor V arcade game. All he'd been able to determine was that it hadn't been one of the big names.

That's because somehow Artemis created the thing as a training aid for Minako — and if you read the manga, apparently it accidentally (?) trained Usagi and Ami as well. It's unclear if there are actually several scattered about Tokyo, or if the one at the Crown Arcade is the only one in existence (in which case you'd expect Usagi and Minako to have crossed paths at least once before Sailor Moon began).

I pulled this picture from the Sailor V manga from the wiki:

[Image: 4LGCUsL.jpg]-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia
Quote:...he never *had* found out who was behind that Sailor V arcade game. All he'd been able to determine was that it hadn't been one of the big names.

That's because somehow Artemis created the thing as a training aid for Minako....
"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada."-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Jorlem Wrote:I pulled this picture from the Sailor V manga from the wiki:
Oh, very cool.  I'm putting a link to that wiki page into the concordance now.-- Bob
---------
DHBirr Wrote:"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada."

Now there's a Crossover That Should Be -- The Last Sailor Senshi:  

"Greetings, Warrior!  You have been recruited by the Silver Millennium to defend the Moon against Beryl and her army of Youma."-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
DHBirr Wrote:"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada."

Now there's a Crossover That Should Be -- The Last Sailor Senshi:  

"Greetings, Warrior!  You have been recruited by the Silver Millennium to defend the Moon against Beryl and her army of Youma."
Looks behind self to see video game, and Trailer park

Runs away screaming.

"Ahhhhhh!!!! An Alien is trying to recruit me for weird erotic Science!!!!"Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
or used against the Grand Duchy of Fenewick.
--
Never trust the Spell Checker, that correctly spelled word may not be the one you aimed for.