Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medley Tracks
Medley Tracks
I was listening to Kansas' six-part "Magnum Opus" the other day, and it made me wonder...What does Doug's metatalent do to medley tracks? If it's one composed of several songs chained together, would that create a bewildering rapid switch in effects, or nothing at all? And what of "Magnum Opus"? It only has about forty seconds of lyrics ("Howling At The Moon") in the medley's eight and a half minutes. Not that "Howling At The Moon" suggests any obvious power, but, y'know, I'm curious on principle. We've seen Doug's fondness for "Lightning's Hand" and "Dust In The Wind", so has there been any call made on this particular Kansas track?
- Acyl
( Great. Now I've got "Symphonic Sentai! Musica Guard toujou!" stuck in my head. )
-- Acyl
Re: Medley Tracks
I've never considered the possibility, to tell you the truth. In the case you cite, where there's a chunk of something in the middle of something else, well, I'd expect that it'd really be the gestalt of the whole piece that mattered. In the case of a deliberately blended series of songs... well, in game, I'd treat that as just automatically switching from song to song to song as laid out. Which is probably how I'd handle it in print.
As for Kansas, the "Point of Know Return" album has been particularly fruitful for him. In addition to "Dust in the Wind" and "Lightning's Hand", he's used "Hopelessly Human" as part of a complicated ritual coordinated by Dwimanor to cure Shadowwalker of her arrested vampirism some years ago. And of course, the song that brought him to the BGC world was the title track.
As for "Magnum Opus" or "Howling at the Moon", I don't think I've heard either of them. I'll have to go look for them and get back to you.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.