Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd
Doug's already used a track from "The Wall" in DWII, but the imagery that Pink Floyd uses in their lyrics should be rich with plenty of nice hooks for his power.
Just off the top of my head:
"Learning to Fly" - Obviously flight, probably with a nice endorphin rush, since the song talks about the "state of bliss"
"One of These Days" - As the song says, the target of Doug's attacks gets "cut into itty, bitty pieces." However, since it is "one of these days," it doesn't happen until the end of the song.
"Time" - Either a localized aging of targets, or a psychic attack that inflicts a overwhelming sense of depression and mortality upon the target. Or perhaps, given the lyrics ("Fritter away the hours in an offhand way"), it makes them more concerned with idle interests, rather than important matters
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: Pink Floyd
I'd considered "Learning To Fly" when it came out a couple years ago.
Hm. How about:
"Comfortably Numb" -- Doug's pain sense is suppressed for the duration of the song, allowing him to endure vast amounts of punishment...
"Sheep" -- Ooh, the possibilities... if his subconscious latches onto that Psalm 23 parody in the background...
"Bike" -- creates a bicycle for Doug to use.
"Young Lust" -- I was actually going to use a phrase from this -- "Rock and Roll Refugee" -- as the title of the first chapter of DWI; for a power, I hate to even imagine...
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" -- Something with a big sword.
"Wish You Were Here" -- Brings to the surface and amplifies the target's basic insecurities and worries, so that they overwhelm all other thought.
"Run Like Hell" -- Kinda obvious, huh?

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
>"Run Like Hell" -- Kinda obvious, huh?
Ah, the joys of half level magic.
Blessed be.
-n
(^_^)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
"Feets, don' fail me now!"

-- Bob
---------
Anyone who isn't a crack weasel like us is very unlikely to get that one. Oh well, most of us are RCW's anyway.
Re: above
But he used the centiped version. Also if you think about it it lends to some werid wordplays.
--Rod.H
erehwyreve era s'leaew eht, grrf yjr,!
Actually, I thought he was referring to an old, old article from Dragon magazine...

-- Bob
---------
Since I've never heard of Dragon Magazine, I think we'll have to go with "UF Ref".
Blessed be.
-n
(Those things tickled me then and they tickle me now. Knock, knock! *boom**boom*)
===========

Quote:
Since I've never heard of Dragon Magazine
I'm sorry, I have to say this...

Son, you ain't from 'round here, are you?

Sheesh, kids these days...
Offsides (who's not yet 30! [Image: smile.gif] )Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Well I have heard of Dragon[i], and I know where to buy it. But when I've been in a reading 'bout gameing mood I've trended more to the odd issue of [i]InQ[/i][/i].
--Rod.H
"Oh, source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand. FIREBALL!"
*hissed* rednecks...
Kill.
Blessed be.
-n
(Far more familiar with the type than is healthy.)
===========

Okay, we'll stop that line of discussion before it goes any further. If it continues, I'll lock the thread.
Nathan, Dragon was TSR's house magazine for Dungeons and Dragons players, and is still published by WotC/Hasbro. I haven't read it for a long time, but at least back in the 80s they used to do fun stuff in the April issue, like write-ups of Bugs Bunny in D&D terms, and silly grimoires with stupid spells, and things like that. For a while they called the April Fool's section of the magazine "Nogard". Anyway, one year way way back, they had a couple pages of "half-level" spells that anyone could do. And this is almost certainly the source of the UF ref, since Gryph and gang overlap my generation by enough that we were likely reading the same issues of Dragon at the same time.
(For anyone with access to back issues of Dragon, btw, take a look at the TOCs for #78 and #100. Spot any familiar names? )

-- Bob
---------
Re: Learning to Fly
Actually, I think that given the title and the dialog about actual airplane flight that it would give Doug the skills needed to fly planes, _maybe_ even other types of aircraft. But not actual flight abilities.
Re: Learning to Fly
Seems reasonable, yes.

-- Bob
---------